Hacking Wii plays DVD movies!

NetSurfer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the real problem is this rootfs.bz2 file... it should have been working by now, the YAOSM 1.8 should be used only to watch double-layer DVDs...

NetSurfer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I can't use this DVD player in my wii?? I thought YAOSM wasn't necessary to use the program, just to watch double-layer DVDs...

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I can't use this DVD player in my wii?? I thought YAOSM wasn't necessary to use the program, just to watch double-layer DVDs...

Don't double post
lecture.gif

You're disk is probably bad, you might want to make a new disk. Try using clonecd.

This is from the wiinja team:
QUOTE***IMPORTANT***

The use of DVD PLAYER Software for GC MODE can cause harm to your laser in the long run. Apparently the wii lens isn't made for continuous loading, and using that app (on DVD5 or DVD9) will; cause the lens to deteriorate quickly over time.

NetSurfer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post, but I still don't get it.... what difference does it make if I use clonecd? The problem is the file that is inside the .rar file and I can't get put it out... how did it work for you aslacker55? Didnt it ask for the rootfs.bz2 file?

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
That's correct. Nintendo would've had to pay a license fee to legally include DVD movie playback. Also, official retail game discs for Wii and original Xbox don't get certified by the DVD Forum. Therefore they are NOT proper DVD media.

Similar to how using the word "PAL" for most handheld or PC games isn't usually correct in a technical sense.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
This is from the wiinja team:
QUOTE said:
***IMPORTANT***

The use of DVD PLAYER Software for GC MODE can cause harm to your laser in the long run. Apparently the wii lens isn't made for continuous loading, and using that app (on DVD5 or DVD9) will; cause the lens to deteriorate quickly over time.
Good to know that. My wii is already keeping loud clicking sounds when loading dvd. Don't know if it's anything to do with laser
tongue.gif

Maybe i should get newer modchip some day.

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post, but I still don't get it.... what difference does it make if I use clonecd? The problem is the file that is inside the .rar file and I can't get put it out... how did it work for you aslacker55? Didnt it ask for the rootfs.bz2 file?

So you burned the .dvd file, right? Also with mine once I select bootldr.dol and press A, it goes to black screen and it loads the homebrew (it takes a couple of seconds). It doesn't ask for the rootz.bx2 file when I do it.

NetSurfer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So you burned the .dvd file, right? Also with mine once I select bootldr.dol and press A, it goes to black screen and it loads the homebrew (it takes a couple of seconds). It doesn't ask for the rootz.bx2 file when I do it.

What modchip do you use? I don't know what else to do, I've already re-burned this DVD, like, 10 times, and still asks for this damn file...

bell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
For everyone who are tired of booting this through GCOS or didn't even get that far...

The DVD player (DVD capable MFE player) uses the same discheader as the WiiKey configuration disc. It's a known fact that this discheader was blocked with the 3.0 firmware. yaosm 1.8 does on the fly patching of the discheader which is why it boots on firmware 3.0 with a yaosm 1.8 chip.

However there is no reason whatsoever for this disc to use the WiiKey discheader. It's just plain stupid so I've put together a disc creator tool that will create a disc with a firmware 3.0 compatible discheader and one header for each region (no need for a regionpatching modchip). If you create a disc with it, it should boot on any modchip, firmware 3.0 or not.

However, for dual layer discs, you will still need a dual layer capable modchip, like, for exampe, yaosm 1.8.

You'll find the tool here: http://psx-scene.com/forums/yaosm/58736-mf...ie-support.html

Oh, and it will create a plain, good old, .iso file for you to burn with your favorite DVD burning software.

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For everyone who are tired of booting this through GCOS or didn't even get that far...

The DVD player (DVD capable MFE player) uses the same discheader as the WiiKey configuration disc. It's a known fact that this discheader was blocked with the 3.0 firmware. yaosm 1.8 does on the fly patching of the discheader which is why it boots on firmware 3.0 with a yaosm 1.8 chip.

However there is no reason whatsoever for this disc to use the WiiKey discheader. It's just plain stupid so I've put together a disc creator tool that will create a disc with a firmware 3.0 compatible discheader and one header for each region (no need for a regionpatching modchip). If you create a disc with it, it should boot on any modchip, firmware 3.0 or not.

However, for dual layer discs, you will still need a dual layer capable modchip, like, for exampe, yaosm 1.8.

You'll find the tool here: http://psx-scene.com/forums/yaosm/58736-mf...ie-support.html

Oh, and it will create a plain, good old, .iso file for you to burn with your favorite DVD burning software.

Tested with Wiikey and fully updated US Wii.
Works, and as everyone thought, it does not play real DVD movies, just burned DVD's (Anything with a menu isn't going to happen it seems). Sound is synced perfect, framerate is perfect. Tested with Slither burned (No menu, worked), Cars (Real, menu, didn't work), a Bleach episode burned with the DVD (.AVI, worked perfect. Looked REALLY nice too, better then on PC even).
Fast payment, quick delivery, will ebay again+++++++
Oh wait...
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: A knuckle sandwich with extra grease.