Hardware Wii Photo Channel

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
We all know the Wii's photo channel and saw on some videos that it can play videos too. Is there anything known what video formats are supported? Also can you burn pics and videos on a DVD and watch them through the Photo Channel or is a SD card a must?

MrHellFire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think video playback on Wii has even been confirmed. I wouldn't be surprised it they left it out of the Wii completely.

EDIT:I don't even remember it being able to play videos. Link/video to said video?

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
SD card is a must. I don't know what video formats are supported though. I'm looking forward to fiddling around with it when I get my Wii
smile.gif

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I will try to find the link to the video of the Wii photo channel. I definitly saw it playing a small video with a japanese kid in a car.

SD card is a must. I don't know what video formats are supported though. I'm looking forward to fiddling around with it when I get my Wii
smile.gif

Thanks for the info. Looks like I have to get me a SD card. Is there a limit to the SD card's sizes?

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Expect it to play Motion JPEG, MP4 and Quicktime.

Motion JPEG is a common standard.
MP4 is coming up
and Quicktime is a Panasonic standard (Panasonic has a huge influence on NIntendo's technology decisions)

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
We all know the Wii's photo channel and saw on some videos that it can play videos too. Is there anything known what video formats are supported? Also can you burn pics and videos on a DVD and watch them through the Photo Channel or is a SD card a must?
Good point, supporting photo CDs/DVDs would make sense... Haven't heard anything positive about that, though. Maybe if enough people request it, it will be added with a firmware upgrade.
smile.gif
It might as well play video from disc then... The Wii does have USB... Might work with external harddrives.
smile.gif

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So now that some got the Wii, can you tell us what video formats can be played on Wii? And can you burn images and videos to CD/DVD and use them instead of the SD-card?

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I will try to find the link to the video of the Wii photo channel. I definitly saw it playing a small video with a japanese kid in a car.

smile.gif

Thanks for the info. Looks like I have to get me a SD card. Is there a limit to the SD card's sizes?

2GB is currently the max SD card size you can use with the Wii.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if it will be possible that a firmware update will enable more format to play on the wii.... or will it be the company like Datel or a homebrew group who get to it first?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

smile.gif

2GB is currently the max SD card size you can use with the Wii.
Shit just bought a 4gb one for when I get my Wii!
laugh.gif
Damn everything else I have has a limit of 2gb, god I'm dumb why dont I ever check things out?

Anyway I was hoping to get the TV progs I download playing on the Wii, kinda sick of watching stuff on my laptop now, maybe I'll get some kind of thing for my laptop.

asiannyc

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey all
The new system patch released 12/3-12/4 can support 4gb sd cards and yeah it's mjpeg format do a search for "wii video 9", I was using that to try out converting from avi to mjpeg...but to tell the truth the compression is horrible and i went from a 350mb or so avi file to a 2.5 gb mjpeg encoded avi. I guess feel free to use if you're cool with that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: