Wii owns PS3 5-1 in Japan, Ditto DS to PSP

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Hadrian, Jun 4, 2007.

Jun 4, 2007
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Source

Sony can’t even get a lucky break in Japan, where the Wii is seriously outselling the PS3, as reported by Bloomberg. Bloomberg quotes the Tokyo gaming research company Enterbrain Inc with the information, and say that while Nintendo sold 251,794 Wii consoles, Sony only sold around 50,000 units.

This compares with 11,082 Xbox 360’s from Microsoft, showing they are doing even worse in Japan, although naturally they are still selling units at more than 2000 per week, while the Nintendo DS is doing to the PSP what the Wii is doing to the PS3: also outselling it five to one.

Enterbrain’s figures are 620,670 DS handheld consoles compared with only 123,673 PSP’s.

This is all despite the Wii having the worst graphics, standard definition instead of high definition, no hard disk, the inability to play DVD movies, no Blu-ray or HD DVD – but simply a unique control mechanism that has caught the imagination of people around the planet.

At figures of around 50,000 units sold for the PS3 in May, Sony are still selling over 10,000 PS3’s per week, which is nothing to be sneezed at, and as programmers release better quality PS3 games and that take better advantage of the PS3’s own motion sensing capabilities, we should start seeing an upsurge in PS3 sales.

But for now the Wii rules the roost, with a long hard slog ahead for Sony and Microsoft to take back the initiative, especially come the big holiday/Christmas season later this year, in what will be the biggest console gaming battle to be fought ever.

Nothing new than since the Wii and PS3 released last year, it is a shame that the 360 isn't doing as well even though it has a lot of amazing games for it. Would be interesting to see if the Wii can continue on like this, some people don't think so but the DS has proved that it has staying power against the PSP so who knows, but like the PSP the PS3 could start selling well once better games get released and the price of the console comes down.

2. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I read this on Digg a few minutes ago.
    Nice!

- Sam

3. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    OWND!!! [​IMG]

4. The Teej

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    Oshi, bitches taken to school.

NINTENDO FTW!

5. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Yah it's a gloat post, but it is right too. Honestly and as much as I hate to predict stuff (nearly never do) and hate so called business analysts I feel that the Wii will maintain a high sell through for the long term. I won't go as ballsy into saying it'll keep steady with the high numbers, but I do feel at least through 2007 it will into some time in 08 when they can begin to meet demand better. I always felt that the DS would be the divining rod on how the Wii would progress as it uses the same basic concept both in control, presentation, design, price pointing, and market emphasis.

6. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Honestly, Wii has done one thing the other consoles haven't: genuinly impress me.

The first time I played Wii baseball I was stunned at the precision.

7. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    The price of the ps3 no wonder its doing badly. Sony needed a killer game on release day to sell the ps3. The killer game has still not been released for it.

8. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    Hey, 11000 360s is actually pretty good! Maybe the Xbox 5 will actually sell well in Japan! [​IMG]

9. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    More good news for Wii.

I imagine that in a year or two the PS3 will be starting to take back the reigns with quality titles and a cheaper price. It's simply because of the fact that the technology will last a hell of a lot longer than the Wii. HD and harddrive space, bluray isn't imporant to me now, but in 2 years time it might be.

10. Sekkyumu

Member Sekkyumu GBAtemp Regular

France
    Or will also be released on 360 [​IMG]

11. OrR

Germany
    But a player will be 30$ then... [​IMG]

12. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    Actually, I think it's bad news.
    Bear with me : Nintendo doesn't need to do anything else to sell the wii, today.
    Which means : they do not need to advertise new features or to make the average joe go anyomre "wow" than they already are.
    Which means : unless the wii starts sinking, forget about DS/Wii interaction in a non-gimmicky way, forget about software patches to recognize USB keyboards or mass storage (my guess it will end up with off-the-shelf parts rebranded "Nintendo" if that ever happens), forget about new innovation because they don't need to impress anyone anymore.
    Which means : unless Iwata wants to "put the last nail in the coffin" for the competition, no new stuff is going to hit the wii, and the so-called news about rumored hardware at E3 is going to be very bland and ho-hum. Kinda like the fact wiiconnect24 was "the last big secret" before the wii was released, when everyone speculated the wii would have a video projector integrated, or that the wiimote would have an in-built microphone and voip capabilities, and so on.

It's good news for nintendo, but honestly, I don't see anything that will make me go "WOW!" except from the usual 1st-party games in the near future.

13. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I personally think the second a modchip or an exploit is found for the PS3, then sales will pick up. But with the ability to download a 20gb game and a blu-ray burner out of reach for most people, I don't see that happening. Hell, even my PSP has the latest custom firmware but I still don't like any of the ISOs I downloaded for it

14. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    I could not disagree more.

- Nintendo selling all the units that they are allows them the luxury of not having to push their first party games out to sell more systems. So, more development time for those games leads to better games and more features (online?).

- Having a huge base of users is just one more way of enticing more developers. So there's that, and lower development costs, and the speed at which games can be developed for the Wii. This leads to many more people developing games for the Wii. Some shitty games, sure, but also some sleeper hits from smaller companies who otherwise might not have been able to take on the cost of releasing a game for a next gen game system.

- Your overall fear seems to lie with thinking that Nintendo is just going to rest on their laurels and collect money through their system's life cycle without developing anything new. With another company, I might see that happening, but not Nintendo. As long as there's money to be made, I believe that they're going to keep striving to stay ahead of the curve.

- Along with that, as long as there's money to be made, you can expect a whole slew of third party add ons and peripherals.

15. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Actually the rumored hardware for E3 I am aware of.

One is apparantly a HDD, they realized they blew it. The neat thing is this sucker should replace your vertical docking tray. Another is a keyboard, but it's wireless, plugs into the Wii controller. They're contemplating a gun too considering the upcoming stuff, but I didn't get a solid answer on that one. Also they're looking to do a massive upgrade to the system files and menu of the device as well + have Opera browser updates, of which one will support that HDD and keyboard so you can finally use it for emails/boards, etc.

My brother works for a division of THQ, I hear things. [​IMG]

16. OrR

Germany
    They should simply support standard USB hardware... Special hardware is nice to have but if I've got hardware for the same purpose already, I want to use it. :-/ Not the way console makers usually think, though. That's why I hate consoles.