Wii outsells PS3 threads etc and forum mentality

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Scoobos, Jun 9, 2007.

Jun 9, 2007
  1. Scoobos
    OP

Newcomer Scoobos Advanced Member

I was going to post this in reply to the Wii outsells PS3 3 to 1 post, but it turned into one of those theraputic rants that will probably keep me from Murder [​IMG]

I'll start by saying I'm a big fan of nintendo's work - but what is it with the internet and making people go crazy for wanting people to make the same buying decisions.

I don't find it surprising that Wii's outsell PS3's 3 to 1 as the PS3 is three times the cost of the wii! Not everyone has the disposable income to buy the PS3.

As a Wii and PS3 owner - I can't agree with the comments made that the wii will outsell the PS3 in the "long term" - the lifespans of the 2 consoles are not even. I can honestly see the PS3 lasting 5 years (50% of Sony's projected 10 year pipe dream) - but non the less over 5 years, with Nintendo's distribution, advertising and business decisions in the past 5 years, I can't even see the Wii being on the shelves. It will be pushed to 1 shelf only in EB and Game etc by that time.

That said, I don't think the two systems are even trying for the same market - and in my opinion, both Sony and Nintendo will continue to do well, albeit in different areas. Non-the-less this is a troubling time for the gaming purist.

Nintendo are right that the market is stagnant (and want to aim to expand it), with 2 clear age ranges of players (the age 30+ ish gamers from the start of the era - that's me, to the 5-18 year olds who's parents make the buying decisions - Parents are not going to pay 450 for a console , but then a child - no offence , is not going to care too much for technical splendor and adult games as long as the graphics are better than his mates games at school - or its a cool film)

Good luck to both I think, its not the platforms I'm worried about any more, its these multinational shitty games corporations that force the same old shit on us, with parents buying it.

The big news for this year is the closedown of Clover Studios (Okami on the PS2 - honestly as good as Zelda!), Game's move to buy out EB and effectively own the market etc. We are not far off the industry dictating to the customers what they want, rather than the customers getting what they want. (hear me out, all the titles below bar Gears of War were not as successful as you'd think, in financial terms - Okami in particular was a disaster with 500,000 approx) This is driven by how long they can keep games on the Shelves that don't sell until word of mouth makes them. Okami, whilst a brilliant game, was not labelled NBA "Generic WW2 shooter 5" , "fighting game 17" etc - and as such did not stay on the shelves for very long. Parents buy the latter , as they know their kid likes fighting games, NBA etc - they don't take chances on anything with a non mainstream label - christ even "Pirates of the caribean" did well.

yadda yadda yadda [​IMG] But seriously, care a little less about who's buying which system and care more on who's buying which games and spread the word. Batallion Wars for the Nintendo GC - Okami for the PS2 - Gears of War for the XBOX - Trauma Centre and Pheonix Wright on the DS - thats what I want people getting arguementative about, we need to support these titles (and that means BUYING them!)

Rally the troops, get the fanboys onto something that actually matters and we (true game lovers) may have an influence over what we are fed in the coming years, over the flux of parents buying any old tosh that (for example) EA wants to throw at them.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Rant ho.

You mention 2 groups: 5-18 and 30+, guess I do not play games then.

3. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Care to provide any reasoning?

Apart from this statement I agree with you... Nintendo is focusing too much on the casual market and I don't blame them because that focus is doing very well. I just wish they would bring out some more 'hardcore' games...

- Sam

4. chewy!

Newcomer chewy! Member

United States
    Nice post, I agree 100%. I cringe every time I see another title shoved out the door a few weeks before the movie is due. You know 90% of the time it's going to be shit. The developers are caring less about quality gameplay and more about how fat their wallets are getting.

So anyway, I fall into both categories you describe. I'm a 30 year old gamer with a couple of young kids who aren't into mature, quality titles yet, but who absolutely love Mario Party 8 and Shrek the Third, to name a couple. There's obviously is a place for these games and that's why they continue to sell.

On the flip side though, there are diamonds in the rough. Not all games have to be Zelda-like or rated M to be quality. Finding and supporting the developers who care as much about gaming as we do is key. Now if only I would support any of them at all... [​IMG]

5. Bowser128

Member Bowser128 King Koopa

United Kingdom
    I'm always seeing about how Nintendo only do casual games, so 'hardcore gamers' (stupid fucking phrase) need a 360 or PS3. But what exactly defines a casual gamer's game, is it games like Zelda and Paper Mario? So non-casual gamer's games are Pro Evo and GTA?

*cough*steaming pile of bullshit*cough*

6. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Note how I put 'hardcore' in inverted commas. I don't like that phrase either. And just for the record, I wouldn't class Zelda and Paper Mario as 'casual' games.

- Sam

7. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    GTA is more casual than Zelda...

8. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    I'm all for people supporting genuinely good games.
    but at this point, not on a sony system.
    sorry, but they have spat in the faces of gamers far too much for me to excuse them.
    Even if Jesus's second coming was a PS3 exclusive, I'd avoid it like a disease

9. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Retarded fanboys? On the internet?

Who knew?

10. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    I honestly think that Nintendo could have some serious trouble ahead if they don't start making some good games that appeal to everyone.
    Personally, despite selling more Wii's then PS3 I've sold a lot more PS3 games. PS2 still sells the most games, followed by PC then 360.
    Wii games just don't seem to be interested in any of the games.

11. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    The only good movie games are Star Wars games

12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @The Last Spartan might I suggest you check out The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

13. Mehdi

Member Mehdi Lemonade by Psyfira

Netherlands
    man shit how many of these threads will we keep getting. Guys this is turning into a habbit.

14. Scoobos
    OP

Fair point, well the only reasoning I have here is that it has been the same since N64 - I always get furious how quickly we get pushed to 1 shelf and then the bargain box.

Already in birmingham my local stores have only 1 "wall space" - 1 shelf, compared to PS3's two and XBOX 360's 4.

15. Scoobos
    OP

Haha yeah. I missed something there didn't I - heeh no-ones perfect 18-30 too then but its definately a different group to the old boys.

16. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Mainstream games are good for the industry. They attract the kind of people who don't normally play games, and in doing so, make them potential buyers of quality no-name games like Okami in the future.

Just like movies, you own some quality DVD's now, but I'm sure your love of movies started with something mainstream, a Disney flick or Jurassic Park.

17. ssoccerh

Member ssoccerh GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if only the ps3 was cheaper...

18. qusai

Member qusai GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    it is, it's called a xbox 360 [​IMG]

19. -KangaRod-

Member -KangaRod- GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I really think Nintendo needs to get their WiiConnect24 working on more games.
    It would've been perfect for Mario Party 8

20. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Nintendo also needs more online.