Wii output settings ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by coops024, Feb 20, 2007.

Feb 20, 2007

Wii output settings ? by coops024 at 11:39 AM (2,090 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. coops024
    OP

Member coops024 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    OK I know the title doesnt explain the information I'm after very well so heres the crux !

I have just bought a new TV to display my Wii in all its glory ! I went for the Sony 40W2000 model if your intrested and bought the componant cable (official Ninty one)

When I plugged it all in and selected the correct input source the screen tells me the input is at 570i ... now going into the Wii settings I can change my the output to a HDTV and it now displays at 480p.

So my question is this ... I know that "p" (progressive) is better than "i" (Interlaced) but doesnt the number relate to the number of lines displayed ?

If I'm right ... then surely 570 is better than 480 ? or am i way off the mark !

I have read on these forums that the higest output the Wii can do is 480p so thats what its set at now !

Thanks for any help

~Coops~

2. kiwoon

Newcomer kiwoon Newbie

United States
    570 is higher than 480, but i (interlaced) only turns on half of its full number of lines.
    So only 285 lines at one time are on for 570i where all 480 lines are on for 480p.

The real equivalent of 480p is 720i, and you cannot really say which one is better between 480p and 720i.
    (480p is better for drama type of movies where 720i is better for active scenes).

480p is DEFINITELY better than 570i.

3. coops024
    OP

Member coops024 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Thanks kiwoon

I thought it was ! just wanted to understand why !

still got no HD content to put into the tv [​IMG] and not going to get a PS3 or 360 just for nice graphics. when the gameplay is so rubbish !

Ninty fan born and bread ! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]