wii out of region games on 4.3 system update

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by tantimongoose, Feb 28, 2011.

Feb 28, 2011
  1. tantimongoose
    OP

Newcomer tantimongoose Member

United States
    Was looking into a wode but apparently it can not play out of region games with system update 4.3 unless it is also softmodded so I am just going to go with a plain softmod instead. As i want to be able to update to 4.3 to play Donkey Kong Country returns i am looking for some advice
    1. do i need to do the update to 4.3 before or after the softmod? and is there any disadvantages to the update when using a softmod
    2. once i am on system firmware 4.3 can i still play out of region games and if so which softmod/loader do I need to do this.
    3. also which loader is needed also to play origianl wii disks.
    Thankyou

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Up-to-date IOS files is all you need to play original Wii discs from the disc channel. ModMii can install those without having to update your system menu. However, your system menu might still prompt you for updates without installing Priiloader to block those. Following the ModMii Wizard is all you really need to do in order to accomplish what you want.

3. tantimongoose
    OP

United States
    so i don't NEED 4.3 to actually play donkey kong country returns?
    I was thinking i might be best off just updating to 4.3 before i softmod as i plan to play out of region games. My idea was that if it was at the latest firmware it should last me without any need to update any ios thingys or anything for some time and that therefore if the kids load games etc they could not muck anything up by accidentally updating for an out of region game?

4. tantimongoose
    OP

United States
    also meant to ask are there any other disadvantages to updating to 4.3?

5. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Assuming you have version 1.0.8 of the Homebrew Channel installed, there are no disadvantages updating to 4.3. There are also no advantages either, assuming you have the latest IOS files installed. If you are playing a backup of Donkey Kong Country Returns, then you will not be running the game through the Disc Channel anyway and won't be prompted for updates; you will be using a loader instead. If you want to update to 4.3, do so after you install the Homebrew Channel version 1.0.8.

6. tantimongoose
    OP

United States
    thanks so much for your replies to both my posts. I really appreciate the time you have taken to offer your advice and address all my questions! Thanks again!