Hacking Wii only not reading original GC-games, and no Wiikey updates

minkxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi, i have a strange problem with my wii not reading original gamecube games. I found out while trying to renew the "firmware" for my wiikey.

I have tried many times to update my wiikey to 1.9b, 1.9g and 1.9x but every time i got an "initialising drive.... failed" error after the disc booted. After a while i tried two original gamecube games: Super Mario Sunshine and Eternal Darkness. SMS gives a DRE, Eternal Darkness gives a similar shortly after the game has booted (but not yet started). A backup of the GC-game Paper Mario: A Thousand Year door however, is working perfectly!

All Wii backups are working without a single black screen, original Wii games (without the security as in Wiifit for example) rarely give a DRE. I mostly use TDK DVD+R's for Wii backups, and have tried TDK-R's and PHILIPS DVD+RW's, without noticing any difference in performance.

Another strange thing, perhaps unrelated, is that when i turn on the wii with any disc in it (original or backup) it *always* gives an error.

I always use IMGBurn @ 4X. I bought my Wii April 2007.

If anyone can help me solve my problem i'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance!

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Keviii94 said:
mmm,
Use Verbatim +/-.
The best DVD are verbatim (better for lens)
Did ya' saw "ORIGINAL"

It's problable the disc then. Look if it have scratches or stuff.

hippyharry

Trophies
XP
Country
Keviii94 said:
mmm,
Use Verbatim +/-.
The best DVD are verbatim (better for lens)

Im fed up with everyone saying to use Verbatim. Ive used TDK's and ive used even Tesco DVD-R's and they all work fine.

Even used a Ritek blank dvd-r that i found lying about the house that i bought, oh, at least 4 or 5 years ago, few scratches on it, yet it reads fine in the Wii.

Today, i bought Verbatim as Maplin are doing a good deal on their DVD-R's. £9.99 for 50 on a spindle.

But, dont let everyone tell you its all about which media you use.

Which firmware are you running on the Wii?

minkxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for your quick responses. The backed up games on the TDK's are working perfectly, it's the originals that aren't working. The originals aren't scratched and working fine on the original gamecube console.
I have updated my Wii yesterday with the latest firmware (for Wii Fit), so 3.3E (i have a PAL-Wii btw)

hippyharry

Trophies
XP
Country
right, lets try updating your wiikey here.

These are your two options. First one is used if you have a gamecube controller lying about. The second option is for those who dont have a gamecube controller.

All firmware discs are available over at http://wiinewz.com/forums/wiikey/66914-all...-one-place.html

Q. I have a GameCube controller and my Wii is v3.0 (or greater). What do I need?
A. You need to download and burn the GCOS version of the config disc (v1.3). Run this - and set 'region override' to 'on'. Save the settings back and restart your Wii. Now download and burn the v1.9s firmware disc. Pop this one in - and run it through. You can also download and burn the v1.4 config disc - but most people don't actually need this - unless you want to change some WiiKey settings.

Q. I don't have a GameCube controller and my Wii is v3.0 (or greater). What do I need?
A. This is where it's gets tricky. You will need to download and burn both the Hex'd and original v1.2 config discs (padded preferred). Firstly, insert the Hex'd disc and wait for it to prompt you to insert the original WiiKey base disc. Remove the Hex'd disc - and insert your other v1.2 disc. Now as you don't have a GameCube controller - you need to use the 'reset' button on the front of your Wii. It's a quick tap to move the menu selection - and a longer press to select it. Use this method to set 'region override' to 'on'. Save the settings and reset your Wii. Now download and burn the v1.9s firmware disc (for your region) and pop it in your Wii. Use the 'reset button' method to update the WiiKey's firmware. You can also download and burn the v1.4 config disc - but most people don't actually need this - unless you want to change some WiiKey settings.

minkxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Luckily i did have a gamecube controller so i was able to use the GCOS version. My problem with the update and config discs (without GCOS) is not booting them (every disc has worked, even on 3.3E firmware), but getting them to do what they are supposed to do. Like with the other config discs i have tried, i was able to select the region override setting but when i pressed 'save', its says 'saving settings... error'. Than it waits a while and return to the main menu. Surprisingly, the first time attemt was successful although subsequent attemps failed. It did work, as i'm now able to play a NTSC backup of Mario Party 7 (which didn't work before). I'm still able to boot the wiikey upgrade but it keeps reporting "initialising drive.... failed" (initialising indeed with an 's').

I also tried to run both disc trough GCOS. Whenever i choose 'play game', GCOS quit with an error (DSI) whenever either the config or update disc are inserted.

Thanks for your help!

minkxy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I solved it: there was a minuscule residue of solder on the chip from the cable from the DVD-drive to the Wii. I find it strange that Wii backups and originals and GC backups did work and only GC originals. I removed it and now everything works fine, including updating the chip.

Phinxy

Trophies
XP
Country
This reminds me of my bad soldered wiikey or shitty clone that i have, I cant access the chip and turn region override to on and updating via dvd does not work.. Maybe just a bad solder but what the heck, RegionFrii do the trick.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Phinxy said:
This reminds me of my bad soldered wiikey or shitty clone that i have, I cant access the chip and turn region override to on and updating via dvd does not work.. Maybe just a bad solder but what the heck, RegionFrii do the trick.
there have also been a lot of cases where they said it was a wiikeyclone when it fact it really was not
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)