Wii on its last legs--what are my options?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by lostreverie, Jun 18, 2012.

Jun 18, 2012
  1. lostreverie
    OP

Newcomer lostreverie Advanced Member

United States
    The deal: the Wii has been struggling for awhile. Things were fine after I restored the nand about half a year ago, but recently it's started to not turn on--the disc tray just pulses blue. It sometimes locks up at the health and safety screen, and when it does make it past that, it always crashes trying to load the homebrew channel.

The worst part: I have bootmii on boot2, and tried restoring the only nand backup I have that I know should work. It didn't work.

I've kept trying to restore the nand over and over again, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm wondering what my options are at this point, if any--or if it's time to just say we had a good run and start enjoying my PS3.

2. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    hardware failure. Nothing you can do about it. Do a tear down and save the wifi and bluetooth module. Maybe you can sell them.

3. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    I wonder what happened to make it have a hardware failure...

4. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Hardware failure happens. No transistor will last forever. You could buy any electronic device and it could be DOA, die after 10 days, die after 10 years, or last an outstanding 20+ years. You just never know.

Heat is usually a contributing factor. anti static handling is a huge factor also.

I've seen x-rays of IC's that were not properly handled and the damage that happened to them internally. Although the IC still functioned as it should, it's life expectancy was cut short because of it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    Enjoy your ps3 while your wii is in the big wii box in the sky

6. lostreverie
    OP

Newcomer lostreverie Advanced Member

United States
    Haha that's what I figured but it's good to know for sure. Wii emulation is a thing, right? I don't want to miss out on last story and xenoblade.

7. DanielJavierGuzz

Newcomer DanielJavierGuzz Member

Just wait for the Wii-U and problem solved :P

8. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Plan to get a Wii U? Keep in mind you're going to be able to transfer your Wii Shop Channel purchases and saves from the Wii to WiiU, so if you have any you want to keep, you might want to try to keep this Wii alive until then

9. Anon10W1z

Member Anon10W1z GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Not helpful man.

To answer the OP's question, I think that you have a hardware failure. Follow @[member='DeadlyFoez']'s suggestion.