Hardware Wii not working on Samsung monitor?

funnymeme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Don't really know if this is the right place to ask, but I recently got a "new" monitor that I was thinking of using my Wii with. But whenever I turn on my Wii, which is connected via HDMI using a Wii2HDMI adapter, I get the error message "Not Optimum Mode, Recommended Mode 1920 x 1080 60Hz". I assume this is because the Wii displays the image in a lower resolution or not at 60Hz? I really don't know if this is a problem with the Wii or the monitor. Regardless, the monitor is a Samsung S24D390HL.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Don't really know if this is the right place to ask, but I recently got a "new" monitor that I was thinking of using my Wii with. But whenever I turn on my Wii, which is connected via HDMI using a Wii2HDMI adapter, I get the error message "Not Optimum Mode, Recommended Mode 1920 x 1080 60Hz". I assume this is because the Wii displays the image in a lower resolution or not at 60Hz? I really don't know if this is a problem with the Wii or the monitor. Regardless, the monitor is a Samsung S24D390HL.

Did you have tried on the Monitor (Wii connected and powered on) - JOG Button - System - Self Diagnose (or something like that) ?

Thank you.:)

funnymeme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello.:)

Did you have tried on the Monitor (Wii connected and powered on) - JOG Button - System - Self Diagnose (or something like that) ?

Thank you.:)
JOG Button? Sorry I don't really know what that means. But the only thing I really can do when it's stuck like this is power the monitor on or off or switch the source from analog to HDMI and vice versa. No menu or anything. I bought the monitor used, but stuff like my Switch runs fine. I managed to find the user manual online where it says that the "Not Optimum Mode" message appears when "the signal from the graphics card exceeds the maximum resolution or frequency for the product." So I presume that it should be working if I tweak some of the graphical settings on the Wii?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have the same message regardless of what I connect to my SAMSUNG monitor too.

One thing is your monitor's real resolution and other different is the resolution your device outputs/supports.

I have my Wii connected to a SAMSUNG monitor with a Converter and I have the "Not optimal resolution" message too.
When I connect my lap with HDMI I still have the same message.

I guess, SAMSUNG expected people to connect/have specific devices.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It says that because it's not the native resolution. But it should still work.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
JOG Button? Sorry I don't really know what that means. But the only thing I really can do when it's stuck like this is power the monitor on or off or switch the source from analog to HDMI and vice versa. No menu or anything. I bought the monitor used, but stuff like my Switch runs fine. I managed to find the user manual online where it says that the "Not Optimum Mode" message appears when "the signal from the graphics card exceeds the maximum resolution or frequency for the product." So I presume that it should be working if I tweak some of the graphical settings on the Wii?
No. You have to adjust the settings on your TV.
The Wii only has a max resolution of 480p.
So if you're using a higher res monitor, of course it will show the message as it's upscaling the Wii's signal.

Also, have in mind that Wii equals ANALOG video signal and you're converting it to DIGITAL.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@OP

Use 240p Test Suit to check your input lag if you're worried about that.
https://gbatemp.net/entry/lcd-lag-test.18150/

funnymeme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No. You have to adjust the settings on your TV.
The Wii only has a max resolution of 480p.
So if you're using a higher res monitor, of course it will show the message as it's upscaling the Wii's signal.

Also, have in mind that Wii equals ANALOG video signal and you're converting it to DIGITAL.

@OP

Use 240p Test Suit to check your input lag if you're worried about that.
https://gbatemp.net/entry/lcd-lag-test.18150/

Well the problem there is that I literally can't get to any kind of settings while the Wii is plugged in, when I disconnect the Wii I get the option to switch from PC to AV mode, not that it matters because I'm getting the exact same error message either way.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well the problem there is that I literally can't get to any kind of settings while the Wii is plugged in, when I disconnect the Wii I get the option to switch from PC to AV mode, not that it matters because I'm getting the exact same error message either way.
I too have the messages.
Are you able to play Wii on your Monitor?

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The wii2hdmi passes through an unscaled image. Thethe wii's default output is interlaced 480i and most PC monitors can not handle 480i> I had this issue on my hp monitor and fixed it by setting the resolution to 480p with some component cables on a tv then pluging to wii back into my monitor.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nope, I'm getting a black screen with the error message. Only thing I can do is turn the monitor off.
Oh.
You say you're using a Wii2HDMI converter...

Those things are hit or miss.
I've read that those things doesn't work and you're lucky if they do. Try to get an AV2VGA converter.
I own the generic Chinese one and it works really well.

funnymeme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The wii2hdmi passes through an unscaled image. Thethe wii's default output is interlaced 480i and most PC monitors can not handle 480i> I had this issue on my hp monitor and fixed it by setting the resolution to 480p with some component cables on a tv then pluging to wii back into my monitor.
Like setting the resolution on the monitor or the Wii to 480p?

funnymeme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh.
You say you're using a Wii2HDMI converter...

Those things are hit or miss.
I've read that those things doesn't work and you're lucky if they do. Try to get an AV2VGA converter.
I own the generic Chinese one and it works really well.
Yeah I'm considering just switching to DVI, but The HDMI converter worked perfectly fine on my other TV.

The wii.

You'll need xomponent cables and a monitor/tv with Component inputs to set your Wii's resolution to EDTV/HDTV

Can I just do that in the Wii settings?

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You will not be able to make those two behave.
Your screen doesn't accept anything that goes 640x480, I believe, and that seems what Wii2HDMI outputs.
Try to pass it through an upscaler, like component to HDMI and use that.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah I'm considering just switching to DVI, but The HDMI converter worked perfectly fine on my other TV.
So, you're saying that you can play Wii with the same Converter on another TV... but your Samsung monitor won't work with it?

Can I just do that in the Wii settings?

Yes you can. But I guess @eyeliner is right.

funnymeme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So, you're saying that you can play Wii with the same Converter on another TV... but your Samsung monitor won't work with it?

Yes you can. But I guess @eyeliner is right.
Wait I just plugged the Wii into my older TV and set the TV Type to EDTV/HDTV and it worked. Now I feel like I wasted you guys' time when the answer was this simple :rofl:. Thank you so much!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte