wii not starting up

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by patoons, Aug 22, 2009.

Aug 22, 2009

wii not starting up by patoons at 4:45 AM (909 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. patoons
    OP

Newcomer patoons Member

United States
    when i turn my wii on, the screen remains black. the TV flashes to indicate that input is receiving a signal, but i cant even get to the warning screen. i took out SD card, GCN wavebird receivers, wii speak, still doesnt boot up. sometimes, the health and warning screen comes up, but no "Press A to continue" loads. and it's stuck there... now, i think my wii was accidentally left on for about a day and a half, that's when it happened.

softmodded, but its been so long i dont recall what i did lol. i can play backups.
    4.0U custom updated
    serial lu01

it booted up this morning, went to the menu, then i shut it off, and when i got back home, went back to not booting..once in a while it boots fully, somtimes i get the health n warning with no press A, mostly i get a black screen

HELP please!

2. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Most likely been damaged or overheated due to leaving it on for such a long period and damaged some internal wiring.

3. CheatingSoi

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    Is it near a 360? maybe it caught the red ring virus.

4. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    do you have wiiconnetct34 on? if you leave on all the time it will keep your wii hot. my wii started to heat up so i turned it off and stays cool everytime i turn off my wii.

5. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    It's WiiConnect 24. There isn't 34 hours in a day. Also, yes, you shouldn't have WiiConnect 24 on.

6. chrisf

Banned chrisf Banned

United States
    yes you should have it on. a lot of games require it on.

if you are not using your wii for a long time unplug it.

7. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I had my first wii for a year and one day turned wiiconnect on.....36 hours or so later I had a fried GPU. My new wii has an external CPU fan (with LED's) linked to the bottom port blowing through. It stays cold now. Even the gamecube has a descent fan on it....everyone watch your heat build-up. With it sitting up, feel the lower left side......you can tell if it heats up. And YES sounds like an electrical problem due to heat, but a slight chance it could be a corrupt system menu. Call nintendo, even if its out of warranty, sometimes they still help.

8. chrisf

Banned chrisf Banned

United States
    stop trying to scare people into turning off wiiconnect24. you just had a bad wii. if wiconnect24 blew up as many wii's as the people on this site want you to think then nintendo would be out of business by now from replacing so many at their expense.

its happened to a few wii's, but millions have been just fine with it on for years. if your wii is gonna blow up from wiiconnect24 then its gonna break eventually anyway. i say leave it on and if it breaks the wii you have a better chance of getting it fixed right now for free by nintendo than you do when it breaks a couple years from now after the wii2 is out.