Wii not playing legit games

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Tokiopop, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Tokiopop
    OP

Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

Apr 14, 2009
    UK
    Okay I've not used my Wii for ages, and my dad recently bought us a game to play. However on my Wii which is playing a legit Wii Sports Resort will not play a legit Donkey Kong Country Returns. I'm guessing that's because I'm on 4.1E (what happens is the normal screen where you start the game loads, but when you start the game the controllers disconnect and the Wii just freezes at a black screen).

My Wii is homebrewed, but I'm not sure if I ever did all the ISOs (or whatever they are) properly, legit games seem to work, but I've never pirated on the Wii so...

I'm guessing I have to update? I want to keep Homebrew though

Edit: After some more sifting I see that this games requires 4.3, but I don't have Indian Jones. Is this the end of homebrew and future backups for me? [​IMG]

2. PeregrinFig

PeregrinFig A miserable little pile of secrets

Jun 18, 2010
    United States
    Michigan
    If you have a USB HDD, you could use a USB Loader and rip the game to it. That way you're playing the legit game and don't need to update your Wii.

3. Krestent

Krestent What to post?

Mar 31, 2009
    United States
    Have you tried running the game though Gecko OS?

4. Tokiopop
    OP

Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

Apr 14, 2009
    UK
    I do, but it's FAT32 and there's no way I'm formatting since I've got like 1TB of crap on it [​IMG]

5. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    download and use ModMii from my signature, run the ModMii wizard to rehack your wii (tell it its a virgin wii even though it isn't). Answer the questions, let it download the files to you SD card and build u a custom guide, then follow the guide. In the end, you wii will be able to play all original games as well as be perfectly softmodded, and u can even stay on 4.1 (or optionally update to 4.2 or 4.3 USING MODMII)

6. Tokiopop
    OP

Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

Apr 14, 2009
    UK
    Thanks I'll give that a go, I'll probably go softmod 4.3 for full compatability.

Now I need to remember how to even run files...

7. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    No need to go to 4.3.

Just follow the tut that is generated with modmii.

8. jceggbert5

jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

Dec 1, 2008
    United States
    USA, Earth, MilkyWay
    Most USB loaders now support Fat32. http://code.google.com/p/wiiflow is a good one [​IMG]

9. Tokiopop
    OP

Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

Apr 14, 2009
    UK
    Thanks for the info!

10. techboy

techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    The system menu doesn't matter, the IOSes do. If you have up to date IOSes, the game will work regardless of the system menu version.