Wii no video on boot, but can still boot in to priiloader

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Carlotta_Monroe, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Carlotta_Monroe
    OP

Carlotta_Monroe Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2007
    Hi, I hope to find some help with my Wii not outputting video to my TV. I have had this problem before in the warm weather and have resolved it by simply unplugging it for a few hours and then it will usually work fine, but this year it seems to have become permenant when I switch it on there is no video out - but I can hold reset to boot in to priiloader, so I know it is not the TV. I have also tried it through composite and component, both are the same and both will show priiloader.

When I boot in to priiloader, below the menu I get this:
    Code:
    Problem with settings.ini!
    Could not read file!

iOS v60
    Systemmenu v450       Priiloader v0.7 (r142)
    I have my Wii set to boot directly to the homebrew channel - but when I try to leave priiloader to the homebrew channel I get a black screen. When trying to leave priiloader and go to the system menu I got this message under the priiloader menu:

Code:
    Error autobooting systemmenu!
    ES_Diverifiy failed! Is the iOS patched?

It's been a very long time since I installed anything or tinkered with the Wii, so I'm not 100% what is installed and what isn't (when it comes to iOS etc), but I am almost certain I do have a backup of my NAND if that would be useful.

Thank you for any help anyone can offer, I know the Wii is an old system, but I do still use it a fair bit as a video player and would like to continue doing so if possible :)

Last edited by Carlotta_Monroe, Jun 25, 2017
  2. Carlotta_Monroe
    OP

Carlotta_Monroe Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2007
    In an effort to help myself, I found my back-up NAND and a back-up of bootmii from the SD card that I had previously removed (not sure why). Once I put bootmii back on the SD card I was able to enter BootMii from within Priiloader, I restored my NAND backup from the SD card, but now I can't boot back in to Priiloader when holding reset.

If I boot up with the SD card OUT, nothing happens after very brief couple of blue flashes of the disc slot. If I boot up with the SD card IN, the blue light on the disc slot flashes intermittently but still nothing appears on screen.

I'm fearing it's now time to give up the ghost and simply throw the thing away, but I wanted to have a last go at asking for any advice here as I would much prefer to save my Wii if at all possible.

3. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    If no Wii remotes sync, your Bluetooth module is dead and Home Menu will not boot under that condition. Same if the Wi-Fi module is dead - I'd recommend backing up important data and getting a new Wii. Unless you really want to hold on to that one, in which case you can go ahead and try to replace the broken component. I had a Wii like this and I used it just for GC games since you can get into Nintendont with Priiloader, heh.

Last edited by lisreal2401, Jun 26, 2017
  4. Carlotta_Monroe
    OP

Carlotta_Monroe Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2007
    The Wiimote works in Priiloader. Only now I've put bootmii back on the SD card and restored my NAND, I can't get back in to Priiloader. Holding reset no longer works to get in to Priiloader, powering on now takes me to boomii, but I don't know what to do from there, going to HBC just gives me no video again.

5. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    If I recall... I seem to remember having issues booting into the channel with a dead wifi module... I know bootmii can boot ELFs directly - does any application load from there?

6. Carlotta_Monroe
    OP

Carlotta_Monroe Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2007
    I wasn't able to boot in to any ELF or .dol files unfortunately.

I did manage to get back in to Priiloader without the SD card in, but I can no longer control it with the wiimote as I could before and I believe restoring my NAND has also altered Priiloader as it looks to be a much lower version than before. I think it's actually preloader, not Priiloader.

Thanks for the help, but I suppose I have to accept my Wii is dead and move on to newer pastures. It certainly lasted a long time, it was a good little machine :)

7. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Since you have BootMii in Boot2, you can try using Ohneschwanzenegger to rebuild the NAND from scratch. This will effectively reformat the system, but it will at least be usable.

tl;dr give it an existing nand.bin backup from the system and specify a system version, and it will create a new blank NAND image with just the Wii System Software. You can then restore the NAND dump using BootMii.

8. Carlotta_Monroe
    OP

Carlotta_Monroe Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2007
    Right, so I followed the instructions for Ohneschwanzenegger and rebuilt the NAND, used bootmii to restore it to the Wii.

I attempted to go to the Wii menu from bootmii after doing that, but I got a black screen (or rather no video input to my TV).
    When I turn on the Wii with the SD card out, I get the two quick flashes on the disc drive blue light. When I have the SD card in, nothing at all.

Bootmii only boots sometimes, I'm not really sure why. But it's about 1/10 tries it boots in to bootmii, the other times nothing happens or the rarely the blue disc light will flash on and off.

So I think that was the very last resort, thank you for the help GerbilSoft, I was hoping that would do the trick but I guess it really is time to say goodbye to poor little fella!

Last edited by Carlotta_Monroe, Jun 27, 2017