Hacking Wii needs firmeware 4.2 for netflix

Fire2box

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my Netflix disc for instant streaming on the Wii. Well it turns out Nintendo forces you to have system firmware 4.2 to use said disc. Of course this is a problem considering I have HBC installed on my Wii and I would prefer to keep it.

I been out of the Wii scene for sometime since I been more into computer gaming and haven't bought any Wii games since Brawl. So are there anyways I can get this netflix disc to work while not officially updating to system 4.2, or update to 4.2 and keep all my homebrew files? I am fine with waiting since I can always watch netflix on my computer, but I would prefer to be at my couch watching it on a actual TV without dragging my desktop to it. I also don't have a laptop/netbook if I did, I would just be using that method.

Anyways thanks for any help in advance.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HBC 1.0.6 and 4.2 get along quite happily. Assuming you have cIOS installed you might have to reinstall it after the update, but really, there shouldn't be any long-term consequences of updating. Just some minor inconveniences that you can easily sort out.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or run it in Gecko OS once and let it install the IOS it runs from.

The possibilities are endless!

...If by endless you mean three or four, anyway.

Fire2box

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you both for the replies and I will try these things out. Like I said before I haven't used my Wii for really anything for sometime.

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 4.1 and Netflix works on my Wii.
I did however use xflak's NUS Auto Downloader and update all my IOS's.

Edit:
I forgot I installed cIOSCorp.

Riicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I copied the game over to my WBFS HDD and it plays fine from there, the only thing is netflix itself isnt the greatest on the wii, for me all my movies are in a square box-can't go full screen! And my internet is good (3MB per second)..I'll stick with my 360 netflix.

That being said, I do however like the GUI, I wouldn't mind seeing a USB loader in its likeness (wiiflow and coverfloader are close)

pitweasel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Change the thread title.

The Wii does NOT need firmware 4.2 for Netflix. Running system menu version 3.2U, I popped the Wii disc in and it showed "System Update" or something as the channel icon. I opened up USB Loader GX (months old rev), ripped the whopping 0.02gb disc, ejected the disc, and started watching.

No problems whatsoever. And now, I can just toss the disc in a corner and forget about it.

Fire2box

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pitweasel said:
Change the thread title.

The Wii does NOT need firmware 4.2 for Netflix. Running system menu version 3.2U, I popped the Wii disc in and it showed "System Update" or something as the channel icon. I opened up USB Loader GX (months old rev), ripped the whopping 0.02gb disc, ejected the disc, and started watching.

No problems whatsoever. And now, I can just toss the disc in a corner and forget about it.

It' doesn't need 4.2 for the methods your or I are using. I loaded the disc up fine with the gecko OS which I used to unlock stuff in mario kart Wii, so using that works perfectly. Anyways I can't change the title.

Anyways you do need a netflix account and I guess you can only have up to 6 devices that can use instant view at anyone time. Also ordering the disc is free if your a netflix member. If anyone wants it, go to Netflix.com/Wii and you can request a disc there.

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Riicky said:
I copied the game over to my WBFS HDD and it plays fine from there, the only thing is netflix itself isnt the greatest on the wii, for me all my movies are in a square box-can't go full screen! And my internet is good (3MB per second)..I'll stick with my 360 netflix.

That being said, I do however like the GUI, I wouldn't mind seeing a USB loader in its likeness (wiiflow and coverfloader are close)
Maybe it uses your Widescreen/Letterbox settings you set in the Wii settings.
Go to Wii settings and change the format to Widescreen.

In the video I posted Mythbusters plays in full widescreen.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fire2box said:
I just got my Netflix disc for instant streaming on the Wii. Well it turns out Nintendo forces you to have system firmware 4.2 to use said disc. Of course this is a problem considering I have HBC installed on my Wii and I would prefer to keep it.

I been out of the Wii scene for sometime...
That's not an excuse to not use the search function. Heck, google would have told you about HBC and 4.2
blink.gif

Fire2box

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
urherenow said:
That's not an excuse to not use the search function. Heck, google would have told you about HBC and 4.2
blink.gif

From what I saw I could see nothing that would let me run HBC or Cios, etc with 4.2. This topic was about getting Netflix to run on the Wii without updating to 4.2, and I use Gecko OS 1.9.1 to do just that. I also did use the search, 4.2, Netflix, etc. Nothing came up, since my disc is from the first batch.

From what I seen, no one recommends to run 4.2 at all.

Also once again, my problem is solved and has been fore a few hours now.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I am aware, nothing can require an actual System Menu version to be running. Games and channel do not look at the system menu number but the IOS versions you are running on. If it has an update, it will require you to do so to play from the disc. But usually the older IOS will function just fine. In some rare circumstances, you are absolutely required to update an IOS. But it is rare.

Riicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
harmor said:
Riicky said:

Tried setting to widescreen,and turning widescreen off...no go either way

Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Riicky said:
harmor said:
Riicky said:

Tried setting to widescreen,and turning widescreen off...no go either way

I'm guess all content is locked to SD resolution because the Wii can't handle HD video.

The reason you have the disc right now is because netflix sent them out to some of their customers early to get feedback from them so they could fine tune things before they officially launch the software. If I were you I would get in contact with someone from Netflix and tell them you aren't a fan of the pillar bars. Even with the limited resolution there is no reason why they can't offer something that looks the way it is supposed to on a widescreen display.

You could always stretch the picture with your TV but you'll have to turn that off every time you want to play a game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1