Wii nand backup on WiiU vWii??

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by epicboy, Oct 20, 2013.

1. epicboy
    OP

epicboy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2011
    United States
    Hello gamers. I was thinking about getting a WiiU and selling my original Wii.
    I don't want to lose my save data, so can I use bootmii's nand backup to backup my wii and restore it on my WiiU or will I have to use the data transfer from the Wii Shop??

2. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Do NOT use NAND backups on vWii, you WILL brick it. Just use the transfer tool, you'll be fine. The only saves it doesn't seem to transfer is downloaded titles you didn't own on the Wii Shop. It even transfers out of region disc saves! (Had a Japanese Kirby's Dream Collection save move over with the rest of my stuff, but not my pirated WiiWare/VC game saves so that's what I'm going off of here)

3. 3bbb7

3bbb7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    I thought nand backups were console specific so it wouldnt even work. and with what Tyblood13 said it will brick.

4. tj_cool

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    You could use an app like SaveGame Manager GX to backup all your save files (including the copy-protected ones).
    There is a separate version of the app for Wii and vWii, both are on the google code site: https://code.google.com/p/savegame-manager-gx/downloads/list
    The Wii Shop tool should transfer all non-protected saves.

5. epicboy
    OP

epicboy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2011
    United States
    Okay. Thank you all.. really appreciate it