Wii Nand Available

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jaxxster, Apr 28, 2007.

Apr 28, 2007

Wii Nand Available by jaxxster at 11:06 PM (1,566 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. jaxxster
    OP

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Just wondering if anyone has looked at yet? It was dumped courtsey of openwii. Of course i wont post the link to such copyrighted material here but you can find it if you look.

2. meemeethemonkey

Newcomer meemeethemonkey Member

United States
    I saw this today and was wondering what the implications of the nand flash and the bios being available are. Anybody more techie than me (impressive, at least to me) know what implications for the future these two pieces of data hold? I could probably figure it out on my own but I figured I'd see if anybody else knows off the top of their head.

3. jaxxster
    OP

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Being available will allow hackers to get round to try and make something of this.

4. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    The NAND flash is bound to have info on channels we couldn't get before... so this may lead to the "backing up" *cough* of VC games and the like, but don't plan on it leading to allowing homebrew to be booted (even though its possible, probably, if people find the secret to VC games)

Hacking a console usually occurs in this order: 1) booting backups (usually through modding the CD drive, as we have with wii and 360 (dunno about ps3) Then region-free, then homebrew) where the first thing homebrew-wise is something related to DVD playback.

But don't quote me on that, i haven't been on the scene for years like some others have.

5. moshii

Member moshii GBAtemp Regular

Japan

Well back-in-the-day home piracy consisted of getting using dad's dual tape dec... It's weird how we've gone backwards, so in the speccy days you had a very nice Basic interpreter built into the machine and sample programs were in the user manual. *sigh*

6. moshii

Member moshii GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    *Hackers* have had dumps of the CPS3 ROMs for years, and I don't think any of them have got any closer to decrypting them. I wouldn't get your hopes up on having free VC games in the near future.

7. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    Yeah but how much interest has there been in decrypting a CPS3 Rom? I haven't seen any.

Wii is a worldwide hit, and there's tons of interest in hacking the crap out of the console, from what I can see [​IMG]

8. lp101

Newcomer lp101 Newbie

United States

If you visit several emu forums on the net you would notice.

9. niklasnyfiken

Member niklasnyfiken GBAtemp Regular

Switzerland
    Noone will ever crack the encryption, period. The only way is to find the decryption key, and there is at least one stored somewhere in the Wii.

10. Rocco Savadgie

Member Rocco Savadgie GBAtemp Regular

Once someone tallented enough takes the time it will be cracked. Someone like Dr. Salmoria http://mamelife.blogspot.com/ will get around to CPS3 some day. As for the Wii, it's far too new and illegal to crack right now for most people but I'm sure somebody is working on it for fun as a hobby.

11. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    It was also said that blu ray and hd dvd wouldn't be able to be copied for the next 20 years. [​IMG]