Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
UK, July 27, 2009 - The global release of a movie store for Nintendo's Wii is on the cards, according to comments from Lionsgate's president of digital media Curt Mavis.

"I imagine the Wii's movie store will launch worldwide soon" Mavis told Casualgaming.biz (thanks, Joystiq), before going on to outline the potential of such a service; "Our horror and action movies are ideal for the Xbox and PlayStation's hardcore audience," he said "while the broader audience of the Wii are likely to enjoy our more mass-market properties."

Source

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely a hint at the possibility, but I still find it funny how Nintendo has yet to comment on this "news."

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personager said:
An actual, physical store or a download service?

It's a download service like the Virtual Console, probably.

Anyway, I just buy my DVD's cheap and play them with DVDx and Mplayer. I'm also guessing that they'll be packing it with crappy "family" titles and nothing that will actually be good.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Due to the Wii's lack of internal memory, I imagine this will download to your SD card or something. Personally won't be using this. I'm happy enough with DVDs still.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
Due to the Wii's lack of internal memory, I imagine this will download to your SD card or something. Personally won't be using this. I'm happy enough with DVDs still.

I doubt it. That would get mighty expensive if you were saving movies to SDs. Figure one large (4GB) SD card can hold maybe one movie. So, after you've paid for the movie and the SD card to save it to, you've already pretty much shelled out the cost of a DVD and the gas to go up to the store to buy it.

My guess? It will be an On Demand-type thing, which would be as useless as many of Nintendo's other channels. Again, though, Nintendo hasn't issued any statement about this idea.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
irpacynot said:
Edhel said:

I doubt it. That would get mighty expensive if you were saving movies to SDs. Figure one large (4GB) SD card can hold maybe one movie. So, after you've paid for the movie and the SD card to save it to, you've already pretty much shelled out the cost of a DVD and the gas to go up to the store to buy it.

My guess? It will be an On Demand-type thing, which would be as useless as many of Nintendo's other channels. Again, though, Nintendo hasn't issued any statement about this idea.
One movie in .avi format is 700MB, a 4GB movie would be in 720p quality which the Wii can't even display. But yes, using SD cards is still a waste of memory. Unless they will be using a different format, which could decrease the size greatly.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
irpacynot said:
Edhel said:

One movie in .avi format is 700MB, a 4GB movie would be in 720p quality which the Wii can't even display. But yes, using SD cards is still a waste of memory. Unless they will be using a different format, which could decrease the size greatly.

Hmm. IOS57 is in the works and it seems like it will improve USB capabilities.

Connect two and...
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol