Wii Mode Keys!!! Thanks crediar.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by DeadlyFoez, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Ron

Ron somehow a weeb now.

Dec 10, 2009
    Canada
    here
    ..That was fast.

Also, what's "NG Private Key"?

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    So....what does having these keys mean?

3. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I don't think it means anything, unless you count having the ability to access them.

4. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    But is it at least a step in the right direction?

5. JoostinOnline

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    Yeah. The fact that they can be read is far more important than knowing the common key (which is the same as it is on the Wii).

6. Zero

Zero Belief will always save me

Banned
    Oct 29, 2012
    United States
    New York
  7. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I would have thought that the common key would be more vital...I guess not.

What is this I don't even.

8. techboy

techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    vWii wads on NUS are encrypted with a different key from normal Wii titles. You can't just download them and install, because we currently don't know the key needed to decrypt them properly. The wii attempts decryption, but produces (and subsequently installs) garbage data.

We're probably better off dumping them off a vWii, which is not possible at the moment for the same reason as everything else...lack of access.

9. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Addict

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    Too me it seems like buying lotto tickets, maybe you don't need to buy them all to get lucky. What I mean by that is, sure to run ALL the possible combinations it could take some huge sum of time, or you could get lucky and hit the key in the first week. Your odds seem like they would go up exponentially over time until they hit 100% but I think you would get the key before that 100% is hit. The only way to not win is not to try, but this is coming from some one who only buys a couple of tickets when the lotto hits a huge number. lol

The key is probably something dumb like "Nintendo Rules" or the key from Space Balls written in binary...

10. Zero

Zero Belief will always save me

Banned
    Oct 29, 2012
    United States
    New York
    Um, yeah you can. Use crediar's key.

11. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    You have a 99% chance of failure in the first 1% of keys tried, right?
    Well, that 1% of keys tried would take a single person 116,988 years.

Cryptography like this is designed to make brute-force attacks implausible. This is the same type of shit the FBI and such uses, if it was simply for a few people to get together and brute for the keys...

12. techboy

techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    That's what I'm thinking...if you don't play, you can't win.

Which one? The common key shown in the picture in the OP is the same ebe4 one we've known for years for Wii. I tried that one already.

Just because a wad unpacks or installs doesn't mean the resulting contents are valid.

13. kongsnutz

kongsnutz QuickTimeEvent

Jul 19, 2008
    Do tell how you are using "Crediar's Keys"?

14. JoostinOnline

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    Crediar doesn't have a "key". The vWii common key is exactly as it was on the Wii.

To quote megazig on IRC, "you need old common key to do decryption of wii disc titles"

15. kongsnutz

kongsnutz QuickTimeEvent

Jul 19, 2008
    You'd have more luck if you used car keys!
    Gotta think outside the box, not in.

Look to la luna!

TwinRetro likes this.
  16. Supercool330

Supercool330 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    Even if every computer on the planet was just trying to brute force this, it would still take a very very long time (like thousands of years). Build a sufficiently powerful quantum computer or find a mapping from BQP to P, and then we could do this (however, if this happens, you will have far bigger concerns as 99.9% of secure systems on the planet would be broken instantly, including the banking system).

17. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    To the people on the first page wondering what this actually means; the keys mean practically nothing. They're the ones that have been well known for years from the Wii. The ones that are different are the console specific ones.

The key thing here is the fact that a piece of software running on the WiiU was able to access them. IOS by default won't let code access these keys. You have to bypass the security. In other words, this is evidence of an IOS exploit from crediar. Which means that, using that exploit, it should be possible to install stuff (e.g. HBC etc.). I'd say it's more of a proof of concept for the IOS exploit, rather than "look, I got the keys".

Kikirini, damysteryman and DeadlyFoez like this.
  18. LAA

LAA GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2008
    As interesting as it is, theres one thing I dont get with this thing...
    Its all based on the pressumption that the key will be the last one, it could be possible it could be... the 10,000th key possibly right?
    Not sure if its possible also, but say you did some how get 10,000,000 people, ha ha, you could have them generating keys from different points in the combination list right? Like From beginning to end, end to beginning, middle to end, middle to beginning, etc., so it would be found even quicker then right?

I guess even with that, (Cause super unlikely you'd find 10,000,000 people), it could still take far too many years

19. BloodShed

BloodShed Gamer

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    Virginia, USA
    That's true. It's an incredibly small possibility, but success could be achieved within a reasonable timeframe. Of course, the possibility of that happening is 100% divided by 11 million years that the key will be found on any given year: that's a ~0.000009% chance. I don't think those odds are worth pursuing.

That's certainly possible too. Someone could setup a database that registers users and assigns them to a "region of responsibility". If the end-user software does not respond to flag the keys as checked, it could expire them for reassignment. Honestly, the idea that we could even find 10 million supporters to run a background process that uses a majority of their CPU at every second for a solid year is just not going to happen.

Even if a project was setup and even if we had 10 million dedicated volunteers, Nintendo (or even a Nintendo fan) could easily sabotage the entire project. All they need to do is register as a client and start reporting back to the central database that "this region of keys has been tried and failed". They would essentially blacklist the real key block before anyone even got there. How would we know, out of the 10 million volunteers, which reports are true?

Edit:
    The project could require that each report must be validated; which means each assignment block must be verified by another client. Validation clients would need to be assigned within a completely different IP block so there is a reduced risk of coordinated sabotage. However, a single-pass validation is going to cut all resources in half and double the timeframe of finding the right key.

20. DeadlyFoez
    OP

DeadlyFoez XFlak Fanboy

GBAtemp Patron
    DeadlyFoez is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    Trick a bunch of people into thinking that they're generating hashes for bitcoins :D

air2004 likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted