Wii Modding 101

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gizmo_gal, Apr 24, 2008.

Apr 24, 2008

Wii Modding 101 by gizmo_gal at 8:42 PM (1,042 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. gizmo_gal
    OP

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    I'm interested in getting a Wii+Mod chip. because homebrew with the Wii's controll is going to be SWEET!!!

I dont have a Wii yet and wont several more months but I'd still like to know, plain and simple (yet in more then 5 words) how its done?

Just a basic overview, from what I read on THIS site, my understanding is.

Order a modchip
    Get Soldering Iron+Solder Material
    Practice soldering (on what???) if you've never done it
    Watch+Read various Wii Takeapart tutorials from the net.

EDUCATE YOURSELF BEFORE YOU PRY OPEN A HARD TO FIND $255usd MACHINE THAT FLIES OFF THE SHELVES FASTER THAN A DIVING PEREGRINE

[*]Assemble all the required tools BEFORE opening the Wii and keep them stored somewhere safe.[*]Find a clear space to operate in and get a WHITE sheet to spread out before you begin (so you can find little dropped bits and peices)[*]Once you've memorized the takeapart guide--as you should be watching once or twice a day everyday--summarize the guide in a word processor and use really big font and read back over it, checking for accuracy and then print it out and tape it up where you can see it during the "operation".[*]Clean your Wii with Alcohol if needed.[*]Practice soldering neatly EVERYday until the modchip arrives.[*]As you remember little details that where left out of your original summary, add them to the document in red and black pen.[*]When your modchip arrives, dance for joy.[*]Spend 2 more days calming down from the euphoria and doing last minute preparations (I know you'll dont keep your rooms/work areas neat--you'll spend too much time here)[*]Redo the list so that its nice and neat (we all know that if you've been making extra notes, it looks a hotmess)[*]Download the programs you plan on running with the Modded Wii and keep the disc handy. (I recommend waiting until the last minute to DL so that you get the latest versions of everything)[*]Open up your Wii[*]Locate the proper place to attach the modchip and practice putting it back together. BEFORE you turn on the soldering iron.[*]Once you've done it successfully, twice then following the steps in the Takeapart guide that applies to you, your wii, and your region[*]Close your Wii gingerly.[*]Turn it on anxiously. Test it out.[*]Jump online and ask for virtual congrats for all the folks who helped guide you and steered you away from soldering that one cable that would've destroyed the whole thing.Recommend people to Gizmo_gals WiiModding 101 checklist as I intend to improve this section so that its worth referencing [​IMG]

2. JJBro1

Member JJBro1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    can we get a video?

3. B4rtj4h

Member B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Netherlands
    For homebrew : Just buy Zelda Twilight Princess. And use the Hack.

For other purposes: Wait a little longer, we are almost there for cracking open the Wii...

And there is something that prevents that you need to solder your wii: WII CLIP

4. mark187

Member mark187 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Seems like a guide to anal retentiveness rather than anything actually useful.

5. gizmo_gal
    OP

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    Umm....I was asking if my understanding--based on what I've read on this site--of how to go about hacking/modding a Wii is correct/practical....

If I get a better understanding of how to Hack/mod a Wii then I will make a guide, but as of now I could only link you to the videos that you will find just as easily as searching for it yourself.