Hardware Wii Mini - How to solder to the extention port?

Archerite

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Most of the times I have read anything about the Wii Mini things are said that come down to what a piece of useless junk it is! And for the most part I would even have to agree for the following reasons:
- No GameCube ports!
- No MemoryCard slots!
- No SD card slot!
- No WiFi adapter!
- No USB Ethernet support!

With the idea of maybe trying to hack it myself, not that I have any illusions I would be good enough or anything :lol:, and the limitations in mind....I just bought one last year! Tested it, worked, then put it in a box and never looked at it again :rofl:....until last week when I found out that there was finally an easy enough exploit for the Mini using only Bluetooth!!! So I dusted it of and searched for all the cables and stuff to test this new thing....for me anyway...out on my own Mini! Everything worked as advertised and even my Homebrew game runs on it now....but I still feel the missing items from that list above should make it even cooler!

From the video's made by DeadlyFoez I know about the testpoints on the bottom of the mainboard that should at least give access to the SD card and GameCube pins! What I could not easily find anywhere is a list of the pinout of those testpoints I need to solder wires on. I have only scrolled through the video's to be honest and I saw the part where he solders the SD card pins to the board and a list is visible that I could kind of read from the screen a little, but I like to confirm this kind of info from multiple sources or at least in a more readable form. No offense btw DeadlyFoez, I am sure you got it right in the video as it worked later in the HBC ;)

That group of testpoints on the board used to give the Wii Mini an SD card slot and GameCube ports I would like to call the "Extension Port". It's location and grouping of the pins are very suspicious to me and it must have been either a service port or something was meant to be soldered on to it. Not that it matters to me as I am happy the pins were not left floating deep inside the board on impossible to solder to little tiny via's! I have also been thinking of creating some kind of testing connector on my 3D printer that will fit this "Extension Port" exactly. Makes it a lot easier to use and not require any soldering at all! :D

Just to show what I am talking about:
wii-mini-extention-port_1.jpg
This group of testpoints should be able to provide SD card, GameCube ports and MemoryCard pins to the Wii Mini!! I have been searching like crazy on the internet (ok just google, but with lots of search methods ;)) but I could not find any description of these pins! Any help on putting this together would be greatly appreciated and ofcourse once I have all these pins mapped I will share my findings here. Just in case anyone wonders why I would even bother....I just think it's going to be fun and educational. And maybe even helpful to someone else if I document the pinout of this port.

EDIT: Just notice the little error in my thread title...can't seem to edit the title anymore! Sorry about that! :shy:

Last edited by Archerite,

Archerite

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's my plan B if I would have to do it from scratch....but some people already worked it out. Decided to watch the video's I mentioned in full for the time being to see what he explains about it ;)

Reactions: Alexander1970

Archerite

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
see if these test pads exist on an original wii motherboard and if there are you can just make a pins out with a multi meter.
I have been watching DeadlyFoez video's to get some clues on the pinout while he is soldering his SD slot wires...and there he has his notes on a little piece of paper! Made a screenshot of that and wrote them down in my own style to understand what it meant. Then I compared them with my own pictures of the Wii Mini mainboard and it all matched up with the numbers except for a few numbers that seemed to be unconnected. If you have seen the video where he makes a NAND backup and says his card is slow...I think it's actually because the card is working in SPI mode using a single data-in and a data-out pin, instead of the full 4 data pins an SD card supports. Although I am not sure the Wii really uses this mode while running BootMii.
For the GameCube ports I was not so sure how to get the meaning of the pins since the video is not very clear on that. And then I remembered your comment on looking at the original wii....and to my big surprise the testpoint numbers actually are the EXACT same!!!!! Makes sense of course if you think about it to make internal wii repair documentation not get out of date and needing a separate one just for the mini. So thanks for tip on that!;)

Assuming the testpoint numers are indeed identical to an original wii which I still intent to confirm before posting a table of the pins and stuff I can say all component and connections are there to get: GC-1, GC-4, MC-A and SD Card from the "Extension Port"! And while I am not sure if all components are there....the testpoints for GC-2,GC-3 and MC-B are fully available in a group of testpoints on the left!

So in simple words: I have the information I wanted now! :D

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have been watching DeadlyFoez video's to get some clues on the pinout while he is soldering his SD slot wires...and there he has his notes on a little piece of paper! Made a screenshot of that and wrote them down in my own style to understand what it meant. Then I compared them with my own pictures of the Wii Mini mainboard and it all matched up with the numbers except for a few numbers that seemed to be unconnected. If you have seen the video where he makes a NAND backup and says his card is slow...I think it's actually because the card is working in SPI mode using a single data-in and a data-out pin, instead of the full 4 data pins an SD card supports. Although I am not sure the Wii really uses this mode while running BootMii.
For the GameCube ports I was not so sure how to get the meaning of the pins since the video is not very clear on that. And then I remembered your comment on looking at the original wii....and to my big surprise the testpoint numbers actually are the EXACT same!!!!! Makes sense of course if you think about it to make internal wii repair documentation not get out of date and needing a separate one just for the mini. So thanks for tip on that!;)

Assuming the testpoint numers are indeed identical to an original wii which I still intent to confirm before posting a table of the pins and stuff I can say all component and connections are there to get: GC-1, GC-4, MC-A and SD Card from the "Extension Port"! And while I am not sure if all components are there....the testpoints for GC-2,GC-3 and MC-B are fully available in a group of testpoints on the left!

So in simple words: I have the information I wanted now! :D
Nice glad I could help

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Most of the times I have read anything about the Wii Mini things are said that come down to what a piece of useless junk it is! And for the most part I would even have to agree for the following reasons:
- No GameCube ports!
- No MemoryCard slots!
- No SD card slot!
- No WiFi adapter!
- No USB Ethernet support!
GBAtemp members look at the Wii Mini in another way than most other people: From the perspective of softmodding. Because of the lack of… "everything" it took a long time to find an entrypoint. And even now the Mini loses in direct comparison to it's older siblings – even more when looking at the price on the used market: It is often cheaper to get an RVL-001 than the RVL-101 or the Mini RVL-201.
I guess this is a bit oft the "newer=better"-equation which admittedly makes a little sense for unmodded Wii consoles (which are useless when the drive fails): The lasers in the RVL-001 are way older and more likely to have MANY hours of operation.

Now there is an important BUT: The Wii Mini came very late as a budget console. The customer got a brand new console, remote plus and often Mario Kart Wii for just $/€100. That was a pretty good deal and there had to be some trade-off. Leaving out some parts to cut down costs was reasonable: Online play was about to be shut down → No Internet. I don't get the missing SD slot – guess it saves some cents per unit, but it could as well have been just locking out homebrew. The GC ports had been removed in the previous iteration so I don't count that.

Not good is this:
- No RGB, S-Video and no Component Video.
This is inexcusable. A newer version with worse video. When the Wii Mini came out, almost everybody already had a large HDTV and composite video looks just awful on modern screens.
============

Looking forward to hear from your project. Can the Wii Mini made to be (mostly) functional identical to the previous Wiis?

Archerite

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
GBAtemp members look at the Wii Mini in another way than most other people: From the perspective of softmodding. Because of the lack of… "everything" it took a long time to find an entrypoint. And even now the Mini loses in direct comparison to it's older siblings – even more when looking at the price on the used market: It is often cheaper to get an RVL-001 than the RVL-101 or the Mini RVL-201.
I guess this is a bit oft the "newer=better"-equation which admittedly makes a little sense for unmodded Wii consoles (which are useless when the drive fails): The lasers in the RVL-001 are way older and more likely to have MANY hours of operation.

Now there is an important BUT: The Wii Mini came very late as a budget console. The customer got a brand new console, remote plus and often Mario Kart Wii for just $/€100. That was a pretty good deal and there had to be some trade-off. Leaving out some parts to cut down costs was reasonable: Online play was about to be shut down → No Internet. I don't get the missing SD slot – guess it saves some cents per unit, but it could as well have been just locking out homebrew. The GC ports had been removed in the previous iteration so I don't count that.

Not good is this:
- No RGB, S-Video and no Component Video.
This is inexcusable. A newer version with worse video. When the Wii Mini came out, almost everybody already had a large HDTV and composite video looks just awful on modern screens.
============

Looking forward to hear from your project. Can the Wii Mini made to be (mostly) functional identical to the previous Wiis?
From a softmodding viewpoint the mini was indeed for a long time not interesting at all! I have a bit of an obsession for buying cheap wii's the last 2 years since I have some hardware projects planned where I might end up blowing stuff up, so it's good to have a few spare parts around right? But it never really came up in my mind that the lasers on the older machines might have many hours of playtime on them! This is even more true for gamecube lasers ofcourse since they are even older than any Wii at this point. Which makes it even more important to have a way to keep playing our games without relying on the fragile diskdrive or the disks themselves to survive! Thanks to the recent exploits like BlueBomb, str2hax, etc that part has been taken care of for the Wii. And while it's a gray area at best I do own quite a few games for the Wii and GameCube now that I bought used for acceptable prices. Not that I play much since the hardware and homebrew is what interest me the most actually, hahaha.:rofl:

One thing I would like to do is build one of those portable wii's that kind of look like a GBA/PS Vita with the controls on the sides of the screen. Or just have a "on-the-go" wii that has a screen build-in and I could use to show stuff on real hardware without needing a big TV or something. This is where the mini will shine I think since it's main board is really small and compact without all the legacy ports! I'll try to make a few better pictures later since all I have now is some bad shots made with my phone to inspect the Extension port and follow the traces.

Most of my wii's come from the same used game webshop that sometimes have really good deals for "console only" systems that have scratches or other cosmetic defects. And while I am careful not to mess up my Mini I just went and bought a second one....you never know! :lol: I just got lucky to find a bundle with the console, all cables, and a red wiimote plus and red nunchuk for just €35,-. But when new the bundle with mario kart was indeed a good deal for the casual gamer that did not care about the missing legacy ports.

It's true the Mini only gives composite output by default but the video encoder is actually the same as in older models! I agree that it makes no sense for Nintendo to have removed support for RGB out because it only takes a few capacitors I believe. But to be honest it might surprise you how many people won't even notice this because they just use the cable that came in the box...which is the awful composite to SCART adapter! I gave someone component cables sometime and they went like.....WOW I did not even know the Wii could look this good! Hahaha:lol:

What learned from the video's DeadlyFoez made and where most of my info on this comes from the testpoints for the legacy ports are there. Unfortunately the default IOS does not support these ports so a cIOS is needed to enable the SD card for HBC or games. What I know about BootMii is that it has it's own IOS called MINI that has support for the SD card allowing a NAND backup to be made. And that would be my first goal I guess to make a NAND backup and have the OTP encryption keys for my console. Then I could always restore it the hard way with a flash programmer in case something bad happens. ^_^

My hopes are that with these ports restored and some software tricks GameCube games will run on the Wii Mini! :D

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[…]
What learned from the video's DeadlyFoez made and where most of my info on this comes from the testpoints for the legacy ports are there. Unfortunately the default IOS does not support these ports so a cIOS is needed to enable the SD card for HBC or games. What I know about BootMii is that it has it's own IOS called MINI that has support for the SD card allowing a NAND backup to be made. And that would be my first goal I guess to make a NAND backup and have the OTP encryption keys for my console. Then I could always restore it the hard way with a flash programmer in case something bad happens. ^_^
Why don't you try to get at least the keys now with xyzzy? It supports writing to FAT USB device and – for the worst case if it doesn't work – shows the keys on screen as well.

Archerite

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why don't you try to get at least the keys now with xyzzy? It supports writing to FAT USB device and – for the worst case if it doesn't work – shows the keys on screen as well.
Because I had no idea there was a way to do it without BootMii actually, hahaha! I will take a look at it to see if it gives me the same keys as BootMii on a regular wii. Thanks!

Archerite

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I decided to try my 3D printed plug idea before soldering to these pads, so I created this little mockup of the pads in OpenSCAD to serve as a template for my Extension Port connector:

Screenshot_2020-02-29_14-14-50.png

It's not perfectly to scale yet and I need to verify the position of the pads and the holes. My plan is to make a solderless connection with either pogo-pins or some wires that serve as connectors...somehow. Anyway those two holes are the key to aligining the connector with the pads.

And as promised a listing of the testpoint signals but these have not yet been verified and based on assumptions only!!!:
TP171 - 3.3v
TP30 - GC-1
TP27 - GC-4
TP18 - MC1-Sense
TP14 - MC1-CLK
TP17 - MC1-INT
TP13 - MC1-CS
TP15 - MC1-DI
TP16 - MC1-DO

TP164 - SD-D0
TP165 - SD-D1
TP168 - SD-CardDetect
TP169 - SD-WriteProtect
TP172 - GND
TP167 - SD-D3
TP163 - SD-CMD
TP162 - SD-CLK
TP166 - SD-D4

While I do not have much more time for this today I think I have made quite some progress already :D

Last edited by Archerite,

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I decided to try my 3D printed plug idea before soldering to these pads, so I created this little mockup of the pads in OpenSCAD to serve as a template for my Extension Port connector:

View attachment 198097

It's not perfectly to scale yet and I need to verify the position of the pads and the holes. My plan is to make a solderless connection with either pogo-pins or some wires that serve as connectors...somehow. Anyway those two holes are the key to aligining the connector with the pads.

And as promised a listing of the testpoint signals - WARNING!!!! These have not yet been verified and based on assumptions only!!!:
TP171 - 3.3v
TP30 - GC-1
TP27 - GC-4
TP18 - MC1-Sense
TP14 - MC1-CLK
TP17 - MC1-INT
TP13 - MC1-CS
TP15 - MC1-DI
TP16 - MC1-DO

TP164 - SD-D0
TP165 - SD-D1
TP168 - SD-CardDetect
TP169 - SD-WriteProtect
TP172 - GND
TP167 - SD-D3
TP163 - SD-CMD
TP162 - SD-CLK
TP166 - SD-D4

While I do not have much more time for this today I think I have made quite some progress already :D

Great! Remember getting stuff done quick and simple is the way to go (for prototyping and doing stuff)

Archerite

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have been doing a little more research and inspecting the wii mini motherboard to see if the video out could be improved. Earlier I have said it has the same video encoder...but it does not actually has the same number! It is an AVE-RVL of the same size but none of the numbers match with what I could find on the "portable tutorial" pictures. And following the traces required for RGB are just not connected to anything unfortunately. That does not mean the chip does not support it I think but it is just not wired to output anything else. Nothing else beyond composite and audio is going to the video connector from what I have seen. If that chip can do it than it will take a lot of tiny wires to solder in place...not doing that ant time soon! ;)

Since my first mini is in pieces now...don't worry it's just disassembled a bit :lol:...I have been testing what my second mini allowed in software. I really wanted to know if it could read gamecube discs with CleanRip and make a backup to play with Nintendont. Reading the disc failed with a bunch of errors but I still think it's the discdrive firmware that blocks it and not something the drive really can't do. Maybe the firmware could be overwritten just like on the gamecube to allow burned disk's to be read, or maybe not I don't know. Second test was if it would be possible to run Nintendont with backups made on a regular wii, and this worked without any issues at all! Even the IPL intro works on the Wii Mini!!! :D

What I also wanted to test is if a USB drive would work through a USB hub to give mini some more ports. And while the ethernet adapter is not yet tested since I need to do something with a manual config file on the NAND (scary stuff) for that...the USB drive works perfectly fine with the hackmii installer for the HBC and Nintendont running gamecube games! I have used the official raspberry Pi keyboard with build-in USB hub for this test but I don't expect much difference in other HUB's.

I hope to at least test a 3D printed connector thingy later today to see if it fits.:D

Archerite

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was going to explain why I have not updated this thread in a while but realized that is more something for a blog post, but mostly it was because there was not enough "hobby time" to spend on this project. :sad: That does not mean though I have given up completely on creating a working Expansion port connector with my 3D printer! :D

And that is also what has taken the most time for those rare moments I did work on it. I have a relatively cheap 3D printer which results in less accurate results when working in small dimensions, but it's a lot better than my self build-from-scratch machine I made a few years ago. And combine that with a test point layout on the Wii Mini PCB that is not evenly spaced AT ALL!!!! You get something like this:

wii-mini-ext__bad_pin_alignment.jpegwii-mini-ext__bad_connector_prototypes.jpeg

As you can see the pins do not line up and I had to make tiny adjustments A LOT of times already and made like 20 new prints.....which can take as much as 20minutes depending on the quality settings!! Sometimes the holes for the pins were to small, then to big, a few times just perfect for a few and impossible for others. It's driving me crazy!!! Kind of!:rofl2: I could ofcourse just solder directly to the board but I like to run tests without much risk of damaging it and a pogopin debug connector seems like a perfect way to do this right? So what I need to do and because of a lack of time did not do yet....is design some sort of a measuring tool with 2mm holes/squares spacing and hoping my printer does not mess this up. Then I can more accurately position the pins and have this connector printed by the hundreds, hahaha. I will probably upload the design on Thingiverse or something though ;)

So I have still not confirmed any pinout is actually working at all. I did do some more research on the Wii again and how it works at the lower levels...and ofcourse forgot most of it already! But one thing I needed to make sure of is how the hardware "speaks" to the GC, MC and SD ports and it all goes through starlet. It's just the wii-mini's default IOS has the SD card disabled in a way to make games like smash bro's work without crashing by just saying there is no SD card plugged in. This research also led to my crazy idea of emulating the NAND with some kind of hardware device and ZERO change of bricking the wii as long as you have the unique console keys and a NAND backup. But that's a story for another time ;)

Maybe I should just make a limited testing prototype to just a single GC controller since it requires only 3 wires to work!. If it can navigate through the homebrew channel than I at least know it's working and I could even test a GC game in Nintendon't on the Wii Mini!!! :D This would be a small step but at least some real progress to show and for a lot of fun things this would be enough. I could limit my connector to just these pins so it will be easier to print if it only has the GC-1, GC-4 and power pins on it. And after that add the SD card pins so I can make a backup of the NAND with BootMii. And when all that is done try to also include the pins for the MC in there for some nice debugging with a thing like the USB Gecko....not that I have one :sad:...but one other project I plan to pick up someday is to create a newer version of it.

I think this a good idea of what I have been up to and what I am going to do in the next few weeks with this Extension port!! :D

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello,Mister Wii Mini.:D

Better random High Quality Updates from your Project,than every Second "It comes" or "It is ready" or "Stay tuned" and ...never heard again.:)

Very impressive what you have "done".:bow:
It is very sad,that @DeadlyFoez is no longer very active and see what you achieve with his Legacy.

Awesome Development,my Freind.Please keep it up.:yay:

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Archerite

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
View attachment 206947 Good job on what you are doing. I was going to do the same with pogo pins. Find us on the wii mini hacking discord.
I do have to update this image as I have figured out the values of other components.
Good luck!
Thank you so much for sharing that image :yay: It conforms my findings and even shows a few more interesting possibilities. I see you found a testpoint for the "reset button" or is it not the same? And even testpoints for the missing second USB port that should be quite easy to figure out which pin is D+ or D- I think. The bigger question is if more components are needed on those pins to make it "safe for usage" though.

While pogopins are great the testing-jig they go in is going to need to be quite high....en in 3D printing this means more time waiting for it to finish. So for now I have first focused on making a frame to mount the metal shield back on the PCB to minimize damaging it while trying out new connector pinout's and stuff. The extension connector is open with the shield on so that is perfect. I have also made a cutout on my frame to have perfect access to it.
wii-mini-frame.jpeg
It did not fit in a single try ofcourse and this is version 6 I think and took about 35 minutes to print. I want to extend it later to make a "Wii Ultra Mini" case or something :lol:. It would just go around the PCB and shield but not take into account for the DVD drive to go back on. But that could be done with a different top side that would be more or less like the original bracket. Then the DVD drive would fit I guess ^_^
I am not sure how to expose the new ports into a new case yet but it will be as slimline as I can, as long as it is smaller than the original Wii Mini case ofcourse.

And here is a closeup of my current extension port measurement tool:
wii-mini-ext-port-measure-tool.jpeg

The main goal of this little thing is to line-up with the pad's and it took many-many-many-many-many.....etc.....version of this to get it to line up as it does now. It's still not exactly right but it's close enough to make a better one for the pogo pins. I could also just use this by wrapping wire around the intersections to make a prototype style connection. It won't be stable enough for the SD card ofcourse, but for just the gamecube port I think this would work. At least good enough to play a little Mario Sunshine or DoubleDash through Nintendont :lol:

So this is where I am now with all of this :D

iVirtualPlays

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow this is amazing makes me want to pick up a boxed Wii Mini. But is the Wii Mini capable of playing Gamecube discs, if not why bother with the Gamecube port mod when you're forced to use Nintendon't which can emulate the memory cards and can use the Classic Controller instead? Also, the problem with the SD Card mod is a lack of mount for the sd card port. As someone that isn't good with cutting, doesn't want to use glue and lacks a 3d printer, mounting the SD card slot is going to be quite difficult. I would like to see someone sell a Wifi and SDCard modkit with a mount for the SD Card Slot. Somebody also did a 480p, HDMI/RGB mod for the Wii Mini. https://www.reddit.com/r/wii/comments/k5j2hn/480p_hdmi_modded_wii_mini_the_way_it_should_be/

Last edited by iVirtualPlays,

Archerite

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@iVirtualPlays : The Wii Mini's DVD drive does not accept the GameCube discs and from what I remember about the Mini's drive is that it's encrypted and linked to the console it's in. Not sure if that was just a rumor or fact though, since that means you can't even swap a drive that is broken! But since I have three of them I do plan on finding out myself:P

I have 4 real GameCube's and I stopped counting Wii's around 10! If would want to play a GameCube game I would not really need this mod on the Mini.:rofl2: The main reason to try this is because I thought it was possible and it seemed like a fun and useful thing now that there is an exploit that works on the Mini. The main reason for not continuing the project was just a lack of time...and no real actual need. But the challenge of making it work is still there so maybe I will pick it up in a few months again.;)

For me it's not an issue that there is no mount for the SD slot since I want to design a new case for it anyway. But I do think even with a replacement of the bottom case it can look fine. And sure not everyone is going to have a 3D printer themself but they are quite cheap these days. You could always ask around and someone you know might have one or know someone who does. There are also companies offering print services.

Now I really want to get back on this , hahaha.:rofl2:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended