Hardware Wii Mini - How to solder to the extention port?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@iVirtualPlays : The Wii Mini's DVD drive does not accept the GameCube discs and from what I remember about the Mini's drive is that it's encrypted and linked to the console it's in. Not sure if that was just a rumor or fact though, since that means you can't even swap a drive that is broken! But since I have three of them I do plan on finding out myself:P
It is true for the Wii U in any case. Wii U motherboard (maybe CPU) and driveboard are "married to each other" – no doubt about this.
If I remember that correctly… I think DeadlyFoez hooked up a WODE to a Wii Mini (although it required modification since the cable is different) for trying out various things before Bluebomb existed. That worked. I'm not sure if the WODE passes through the original drive.

Archerite

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It is true for the Wii U in any case. Wii U motherboard (maybe CPU) and driveboard are "married to each other" – no doubt about this.
If I remember that correctly… I think DeadlyFoez hooked up a WODE to a Wii Mini (although it required modification since the cable is different) for trying out various things before Bluebomb existed. That worked. I'm not sure if the WODE passes through the original drive.
If that worked....then there should be no reason (in theory) why a regular Wii DVD drive should not work on the mini! Unless the WODE had a firmware fix or mod to make it work ofcourse. I did know the WiiU did not read the GameCube discs but not that those drives were locked to the console. It might have been I mixed the two up....but the wii mini definitely has a different connector on it's drive.

Now I really want to test this today! hahaha:rofl2:

iVirtualPlays

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do not like 3d printed plastic due to its quality. Grainy, rough, brittle. And i’d rather keep the Wii Mini looking as factory as possible. I would prefer to just use a mount and drill a hole in for the SD Card Slot as there is plenty of space in there and less time consuming to do. As for GCN support that would be great to get it working with GCN discs. But isn’t this laser assembly different? Will it have to be swapped once the drive is hacked?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Interesting just looked up what a Wode is. But i’m sure the drive can be unmarried/remarried. I did it with my PS3. It should be easy to do on a Wii let alone the Wii Mini. If hackers cared that is.

Last edited by iVirtualPlays,

Archerite

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I do not like 3d printed plastic due to its quality. Grainy, rough, brittle. And i’d rather keep the Wii Mini looking as factory as possible. I would prefer to just use a mount and drill a hole in for the SD Card Slot as there is plenty of space in there and less time consuming to do. As for GCN support that would be great to get it working with GCN discs. But isn’t this laser assembly different? Will it have to be swapped once the drive is hacked?

Interesting just looked up what a Wode is. But i’m sure the drive can be unmarried/remarried. I did it with my PS3. It should easy to do on a Wii let alone the Wii Mini. If hackers cared that is.
It's true a 3D printed part will never look as good as a mass produced factory molded piece. At least not without some effort that is. I have seen pictures of objects that were sanded and painted to look just like a molded part. The advantage of 3D printing though is that you can have a custom part made in less than an hour! (if you have a printer and know how to design parts ofcourse). Also changing settings will do wonders on the final quality and strenght...but everyone can mod the way they like ofcourse :)

There is indeed a lot of empty space in the Wii Mini case if you just want to add the SD card slot in there. As for the drive I think it's technically capable of reading GameCube discs as it's just a smaller wii disc and both are DVD based. But the firmware of the drive does not support it as far as I know. Getting a original Wii DVD drive "might" be possible to get working on the Wii Mini....but that would not keep the factory look you say you want to keep. As the Wii has a front loading drive and not top loader.

I bet you did not write the tools to unlock your PS3 drive yourself? There is an enourmous amount of research and debugging that goes into stuff like this. And like you already said....unless someone cares enough to look into it. It won't happen! :wink:

Last edited by Archerite,

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Interesting just looked up what a Wode is. But i’m sure the drive can be unmarried/remarried. I did it with my PS3. It should easy to do on a Wii let alone the Wii Mini. If hackers cared that is.
Resin prints easily match the quality of factory parts. And Acetone finished abs parts put up a pretty good fight.

Reactions: Archerite

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
if not why bother with the Gamecube port mod when you're forced to use Nintendon't which can emulate the memory cards and can use the Classic Controller instead?
1 but should be 0- Because You Can :D
2- gamecube controller emulation is incompatible with the gba cable (and the wiimini conveniently can fit gamecube controller ports 1 and 4)

and you can use a different wii drive (or ODE) just fine if you work around the different power cable (which has been done) :)

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
when you're forced to use Nintendon't which can emulate the memory cards and can use the Classic Controller instead?
It's worth mentioning that Nintendont supports the Wii U/Nintendo Switch GameCube Controller Adapter (although you still need native GCN ports for the GBA-Link cable and the Nintendo GameCube Microphone).
However, if you want to use a GameCube controller (or a dance mat) with a Wii game that supports it, although there is a software solution that works with the adapter, native GCN ports are more compatible and convenient.

Archerite

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good job on what you are doing. I was going to do the same with pogo pins. Find us on the wii mini hacking discord.
I do have to update this image as I have figured out the values of other components.
Good luck!
I know this invite was over a year ago, and I don't want to be rude....but WHY:

upload_2021-6-8_23-33-3.png

All I did was join and not say a thing yet....because I was busy with other things. Is this a crime that deserves to be kicked out? Guess they don't want me in there....whatever. :D

ReveriePass

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump this thread, but does anyone know where I can find documentation on how to install the Wii wifi module in the Wii Mini? Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ Aglae Pheryl: Hi folks