Wii Menu, Can you edit the background song?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Izure, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Izure
    OP

Izure Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2010
    Norway
    Wii - Hacking
    In the wii menu, Is it possible that I replace it with a cool song or something with a homebrew app?
    [​IMG]

2. Maplemage

Maplemage ಠ_ಠ

Sep 23, 2008
    Why would you care?
    What song would you replace it with?

3. Ethanx94

Ethanx94 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2007
    United States
    In the parallel dimension
    That would be awesome if you could. I would replace mine with the Altimit Mine OS music from .hack//G.U.

4. Izure
    OP

Izure Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2010
    Norway
    Wii - Hacking
    I know, right?
    I hope someone will make it or tell me how [​IMG]

5. Blue-K

Blue-K No right of appeal.

Jun 21, 2008
    Swaziland
    Helvetica
    Should be possible. Somewhere in an unpacked Menu you can find for shure the File, and replace it. I think I even can remember that it has been done before...but don't ask me where the loaction of the music is, and what tools you need...

6. Izure
    OP

Izure Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2010
    Norway
    Wii - Hacking
    Okay, Was gonna ask how to decrypt the NAND... But since you don't want me to ask...
    Anyone else who knows? [​IMG]

7. HaniKazmi

HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 30, 2008
    Manchester
    No one figured it out during the menu modding craze a while ago. If someone has cracked it since, I havent heard of it.

8. Marc1994

Marc1994 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Netherlands
  9. tj_cool

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
  10. Izure
    OP

Izure Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2010
    Norway
    Wii - Hacking
    I was gonna say that :3

11. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    I had a look at the System Menu, unpacking some files and the like, and could only find the sound of the moving between pages so far...but I didn't extract any arc files I saw, may try that see if they have anything interesting in them.

12. WiiCrazy

WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

May 8, 2008
    Istanbul
    The music in the menu is not a single file... it's in a brsar archive.. guess it's a compressed collection of brstm files...
    It seems music hacking in SSBB is possible... one might get clues from there.. though I don't know if there is any good brsar tool out there...

ps1: If you want to do it just for the sake of it... Wii fit contains a bunch of brstm files and there are tools to convert wav/mp3s to brstm files...
    ps2: brsar possibly an audio resource archive like bmg files are language resource files... meaning possible ability of storing sounds with metadata (language, other information)

13. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    where is this brsar located?

EDIT: BTW, unpacking the ARC files gave me ZND files, which I have no idea what they are. I tried to use znd.py from wii.py to convert them to HOG files (which I still have no idea what they are either, but as it converted them to it, I figured they must be easier to work with), but it gave errors.

14. WiiCrazy

WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

May 8, 2008
    Istanbul
  15. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    Huh, I unpacked that earlier and all I got was the page-changing sound, not the background sound...
    Perhaps I should try a different unpacker. Anyway, is there a packer for BRSAR?

EDIT: OK, I see now, its because current BRSAR unpackers suck (no offence meant to the coders of them [​IMG])

16. Eridion kiorai

Eridion kiorai GBAtemp Regular

Jul 30, 2016
    Greece
    The wii system menu music is on iplsound.brsar wipl_bgm_menu use vgm trans to rip it now we nead to reverse engenering to replace a file