Hacking Wii makes a clicking noise when loading and playing burned games only does anyone know why

smash_brew

I may or may not have fallen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i'm not sure exactly why but it is normal for your wii to make some clicking noise while mounting dvd-r's. every soft modded wii that i've encountered does it. you have no reason to be concerned.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
So every Wii he's encountered has an ageing drive? Its just the way it goes when they're modded. Ive modded several BRAND NEW ones and they all made the same "click" when mounting the disc. The drive is designed to read Wii Optical discs, not DVD-R's so I think this is the drive's reaction to receiving an unfamiliar disc type

jackdanielchan

Trophies
XP
Country
It will make ALOT more clicking noises when using DVD+R's, which should not be used unless you have a hard-modded Wii which supports this type, these work your Wii alot harder thatn -R's, which may be a concern if you find your Wii is making alot or significantly more clicking than usual...

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
I've both soft and hard modded Wii's of varying age. They sure get louder with a DVD-R, DVD-RW, or Dual Layer game, but clicking? Modern non-tray drives make a click noise when you put a disc in, ever hear a Macbook make munching noises when you put in a disc?

You make a very good hypothesis bazamuffin. However I don't think it's normal for the drive to be "clicking" while playing games and the only ones I've heard do that have been developing disc read errors. The OP also does not say that he has this problem with every Wii hes's encountered but we do have a lack of information here. Soft/hard modded?

If you guys are all adamant that your Wiis make "clicking" noises while playing games from a DVD+/-R I'll back off, but I have never seen this from my friends' healthy Wiis.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
It only clicks once not whilst playing, when mounting and only when mounting the discs. Sometimes it may do it again when switching layers on a DL disc. part from that, it just makes the usual read noises whilst a game is on.

Everyone whos Wii Ive modded has asked me this same question and described the single click (or clunk as some describe it). Mine has done it ever since I modded it with a chip and still does it now I have softmod. Mine is a 2007 unit and still works fine. Doesn't do it with my original discs though when launched through disc channel, neither do any of the other units Ive done. This is whats lead my to me theory/explaination.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: