Wii loud operation

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Tagg7, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Tagg7
    OP

Tagg7 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    My Wii is making some pretty loud noises during MP3. I assume it is something to do with the laser strength. My question is: are these noises to be expected, and should I send it in to Nintendo for repair before I void the warranty by installing a modchip?

2. stormbob

stormbob Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2007
    I've completed MP3 now, and i havnt noticed any noice at all. (NTSC MP3 on PAL wii)

3. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

Aug 7, 2007
    United States
    tagg7, is it a lunch wii? when did you buy it? the old models make horrendous noise and are reportedly known for laser failure

so yeah have it fixed before a modcip install

4. Don Andy

Don Andy GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2007
    Gambia, The
    Germany, duh
    Oh sh**

It's good Wii's are so cheap, because I might need a new one very soon if that's true xD

MP3 was making a whole lot of noises for me. It didn't bother me much, though. And on some other games I have noises occasionally, too, so I guess it's just a matter of time till I'm pretty much screwed [​IMG]

5. Bob Loblaw

Aug 7, 2007
    United States
    you can buy just replacement lasers for like $30 or $40usd and put em in too
    cheaper than replacing the whole wii

6. Tagg7
    OP

Tagg7 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Thanks a lot guys, especially stormbob. My Wii makes a noise like a small engine every time I open a door (and sometimes it takes up to 20 seconds). Oh, and I bought it mid-December.

7. Hooya

Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    Mine is also pretty noisy during Metroid. I know the media is good, and so is the modchip. My Wii is a D2B drive chipset, purchased in April.

Do people with a legit copy of the disk have the same issues? With or without a modchip installed? I should rent the disk and test it myself...

8. Sonicandtails

Sonicandtails GBAtemp Fan

Apr 10, 2003
    United States
    lol lunch, I just had my dinner Wii.

But for real, I have never heard of these laser failures...

The sound is just the laser changing speed, and it happens with all Wii's [​IMG]

9. RiotShooter

RiotShooter GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2007
    United States
    ya i get noises maybe not loud but u can hear them pretty good from my wii but i'm not overly worried bout it. its a launch wii btw.

10. Bruinbaard

Bruinbaard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2007
    Netherlands
    i also got a launch wii and also got the noise and a wiikey installed. Got it at about every game. I might send it to nintendo for repair

11. ZeWarrior

ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Jul 2, 2007
    Brazil
    they check if theres a modchip installed >.>

12. Bob Loblaw

Aug 7, 2007
    United States

heh you do know nintendo doesn't make wiikey? thats like asking a cop to check the quality of your weed

13. lexus-8

lexus-8 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2006
    LONDON
    yep same here got it in jan took it back coz of noise. Got a new one in feb with same noise!!!.
    hear it expecially in red steel. btw mine has not been modded reapet not been modded

14. Hooya

Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    OK, so this is normal operating noise for the Wii drive. No big deal.