Tutorial  Updated

Wii Linux (XWhiite 0.2) with Wi-Fi in 2020 (TUTORIAL)

I decided to make a tutorial on this because the last one was way back in 2009.
Don't use the 2009 method, it's complicated and you can't install the XFCE package even with WiFi working.

THIS WAS TESTED ON A NON-BOOT2 2009 WII.

Download this first. https://www.mediafire.com/?qme1y93ek6ttc Unzip the downloaded file on your PC.
Insert a SD card (FAT16) (SDHC >4GB) into the slot on the same PC. Follow this guide if your Wii hasn't been homebrewed/hacked yet>> https://wii.guide/str2hax Install BootMii. https://wii.guide/hbc

Copy the "BOOTMII" (not case sensitive) folder to your desktop when you've finished with the tutorials above. Copy the "apps" folder from the "apps" ZIP inside the Wii Linux ZIP to the SD card.
Unzip the Wii Linux ZIP file into the root of a FAT32-formatted USB pendrive. Delete the "apps" ZIP in the root. Get a USB (wired) keyboard. Mouse is not required, but if you're not comfortable with a WiiMote as a pointer, get an optical USB (wired) mouse. Insert the SD card in the SD slot in the Wii, and slot the USB flash drive into the "usb0" USB slot. "usb0" is located at the right USB slot at the back of the Wii, or if you're using a horizontal Wii, it's located at the bottom, below the other USB slot. If you're still confused, find the red square outlining the slot here:

Boot the Wii up. Start the Homebrew Channel. Start the application "whiite-linux-installer-BETA1". Use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate, and use ENTER to accept. Select "ok" FAT allocation recommended: 256MB Select "ok" to everything. Wait a REALLY LONG TIME. (remember the "Select OK to everything") The application has a built-in screensaver, which is pure black. To get out of the screensaver, press ENTER. Still wait. When it says it's done, it will reboot.

Eject the SD card out of the Wii. Get this file: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gc-linux/mikep5-zImage-2.6.32.mini.576i(PAL).elf Doesn't matter if it's PAL. Insert the SD card into the PC. Find the "BOOTMII" folder and replace the "ppcboot.elf" with the "mikep5-zImage-2.6.32.mini.576i(PAL).elf" by first deleting ppcboot and then renaming the mikep5 elf to "ppcboot.elf".

Eject the SD card out of the PC, then insert it in the Wii. Run the Homebrew Channel. Press the HOME button, then select the "bootmii" button. This will boot Wii Linux. Wait a minute or two, and when the Wii shows a GUI that includes green or checkered B/W pixels, wait until XFCE (the GUI) shows a start menu. Select the power button on the start menu on the bottom, then press "log out" It will log out. When the countdown starts, press ENTER on the keyboard. log in with these credentials:
Username: root
Password: whiite
Then type in "startxfce4" and press ENTER. It will boot Debian 4 (etch) as the root account, granting you full access to the system.

Open a Terminal (Xterm) window and do this:
(WiFi configuration)

Code:
cd /home/wii/
dpkg -i *.deb

After that has completed, move on to this:

Code:
cd /

Code:
tar -xzvf /home/wii/openfwwf-5.2-bin.tar.gz

Close the Terminal window and open another one after it's done.

Code:
nano /etc/network/interfaces

Make sure it looks like this:

Code:
auto wlan1 iface wlan1 inet dhcp
         wpa-ssid YOUR_ROUTER_NAME_GOES_HERE
         wpa-psk YOUR_WIFI_PASSOWRD_GOES_HERE
         wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
         wpa-pairwise TKIP CCMP
         wpa-group TKIP CCMP
         wpa-proto WPA RSN
        wpa-ap-scan 1
         wpa-scan-ssid 1
Edit the "YOUR_PASSWORD" to your WIFI password.
Edit the "ROUTER_NAME" to your WIFI name.

Then save it by CTRL+X then pressing Y.

You now have a Wii Linux machine that can be used as a shitty PC or as a web server!

*ADDITIONAL STUFF*
You can get a lot of applications for the PPC build of Debian 4.
Get them with Synaptic Pachage Manager, found in the (system) tray in the (apps) menu in the XFCE menu.

GIMP works like a charm on the Wii with resolutions under 1920x1080.
Audacity also works fine, unless if you want a newer build of it.
Blender3D is availble, but it only works with OpenGL drivers. The Wii has X11 drivers, and NO, I haven't found the OpenGL drivers yet.
Any application without OpenGL support should work fine.
Python IDLE 2.5 has a working TURTLE module.

You can also get XFCE themes.
HOW TO GET XFCE THEMES:

Get a laptop/PC that can read ext3 filesystems. If you're stuck with Windows, you can get DiskGenius or Diskinternals Linux Reader.
Browse through this section of XFCE-LOOK, for max compatibility.

Go to /usr/local/share/themes/
Paste the folder (the theme) into that folder.
Eject the SD card, then plop it into the Wii, and boot Linux.
Go to the settings manager of XFCE.
Click on "user interface"
Select a theme.
All done!

Good Luck!

P.S. I need those OpenGL drivers.

**Remember, the Wii has only 88MB of RAM, 3MB of VRAM and a 729MHz single-core CPU so don't expect it to be an absolute beast.**

Sample TURTLE module script in KWrite:
IMG_20200731_130641.jpg

TURTLE 2.5 in action:
IMG_20200731_130918.jpg

GIMP (1280x720 canvas):
IMG_20200719_165332.jpg

IRC CLIENT (irssi) ON LMR CHANNEL:
hni_0070_mpo-jpg.219893

Credit to elmurato for the original tutorial (2009) and the GC-Linux team.
I forgot someone.

Last edited by VMHoss,

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah yes, time to run a web server with my Wii. I always wanted to have a PowerPC server.

Nice tutorial! I appreciate it.
I have 2 Wii's that I set up to be duplicates of each other. One in my living room and one in my bedroom, I was thinking of converting my Wii into a second crappy computer I can use from my bed instead of just something to watch House on and play the occasional game. How difficult would it be to setup a Bluetooth keyboard or mouse or would a USB hub work out of the box?

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I have 2 Wii's that I set up to be duplicates of each other. One in my living room and one in my bedroom, I was thinking of converting my Wii into a second crappy computer I can use from my bed instead of just something to watch House on and play the occasional game. How difficult would it be to setup a Bluetooth keyboard or mouse or would a USB hub work out of the box?
Eh, I'd doubt if it's good for that purpose, Wii is not powerful at all.

Well, I'm not sure if it'll work or not, best way is to try it yourself. please let me know if it works, I'm curious too.

Not sure about your country, but you can get some old computer(like Core2Duo with 2GB ram) for like 25~35 bucks, and That'll be much better option. Install some linux distro, and it's good to go. Much more RAM, much better CPU, and much better graphics.

Last edited by KokoseiJ,

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Eh, I'd doubt if it's good for that purpose, Wii is not powerful at all.

Well, I'm not sure if it'll work or not, best way is to try it yourself. please let me know if it works, I'm curious too.
I'll try and figure it out, and by crappy computer I mean watching movies off a hard drive and basic web browsing. Or I can just rig up a bunch of hard drives and set up a server, but I don't know if the Wii has enough wireless oomph to stream anything HD to something like a hacked PS3/Switch/Vita/whatever.

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I'll try and figure it out, and by crappy computer I mean watching movies off a hard drive and basic web browsing. Or I can just rig up a bunch of hard drives and set up a server, but I don't know if the Wii has enough wireless oomph to stream anything HD to something like a hacked PS3/Switch/Vita/whatever.
Maybe WiiMC(or whatever it is, there's media player for wii) instead of entire linux installation might be better. not experienced it yet so I might be wrong.

Let me know if it is, I would be happy to get a new PC that I can hook up to my TV. I currently can't do much with consoles.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe WiiMC(or whatever it is, there's media player for wii) instead of entire linux installation might be better. not experienced it yet so I might be wrong.

Let me know if it is, I would be happy to get a new PC that I can hook up to my TV. I currently can't do much with consoles.
WiiMC actually runs videos smoother (less likelihood of A/V desync due to too high of a bitrate or somethinh) wirelessly (like via FTP) in several instances vs running off HDD, but it is limited, I'd set it up just as a comparison.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
An alternative to DiskGenius, is Diskinternals Linux Reader, which also has a freeware version available. I've used many times before and it works very well.

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh my god thank you, that 2009 tutorial was painful.
No problem mate!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I haven't tried using the Wii as a web server yet, so don't ask me for server-related stuff!

An alternative to DiskGenius, is Diskinternals Linux Reader, which also has a freeware version available. I've used many times before and it works very well.
I'll add that to the list.

Last edited by VMHoss,
Reactions: KokoseiJ

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah yes, time to run a web server with my Wii. I always wanted to have a PowerPC server.

Nice tutorial! I appreciate it.
No problem man

There is Mplayer preinstalled on the build of Wii Linux distributed on my tutorial.

Reactions: KokoseiJ

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a good tutorial, but the only problem here is that the Debian 4 distro used here is very outdated. It seems that most of the major Linux distros for their most recent versions don't support 32-bit PowerPC anymore, but they may support 64-bit PowerPC instead. Is there something more recent that could work instead of the premade Debian 4 distro? Maybe I may try to find something myself.

Here could lead to some distros that do have PowerPC support in their most recent versions: https://distrowatch.com/search.php?...uage=All&defaultinit=All&status=Active#simple

The last Debian version to support 32-bit PowerPC is 8, codenamed Jessie. From https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/, Debian 9 and later no longer support it. From https://wiki.debian.org/LTS, Debian LTS support for Debian 8 "Jessie" ended on June 30, 2020, which was just over a month ago.

Last edited by Worldblender,

VMHoss

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a good tutorial, but the only problem here is that the Debian 4 distro used here is very outdated. It seems that most of the major Linux distros for their most recent versions don't support 32-bit PowerPC anymore, but they may support 64-bit PowerPC instead. Is there something more recent that could work instead of the premade Debian 4 distro? Maybe I may try to find something myself.

Here could lead to some distros that do have PowerPC support in their most recent versions: https://distrowatch.com/search.php?...uage=All&defaultinit=All&status=Active#simple

The last Debian version to support 32-bit PowerPC is 8, codenamed Jessie. From https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/, Debian 9 and later no longer support it. From https://wiki.debian.org/LTS, Debian LTS support for Debian 8 "Jessie" ended on June 30, 2020, which was just over a month ago.

My tutorial only supports Etch 4, and I haven't tried NGX yet.
HNI_0070_MPO.JPG

MADC1993

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is there some advantage in using Linux on wii besides as a home server and media?
Also, does it support Swap Partitons??
Also, does it support a LAN adapter?

I wonder i could use with an keyboard and a mouse for nothing more than web browsing and use web apps like Discord Web and Telegram Web.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay