Tutorial Wii Linux (XWhiite 0.2) with Wi-Fi in 2020 (TUTORIAL)

VMHoss

Trophies
Website
vmhoss.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there some advantage in using Linux on wii besides as a home server and media?
Also, does it support Swap Partitons??
Also, does it support a LAN adapter?

I wonder i could use with an keyboard and a mouse for nothing more than web browsing and use web apps like Discord Web and Telegram Web.
There isn't really any advantage to using Linux on a Wii unless if you think IDLE 2.5 is the best thing that ever existed.
Yes, it does, but I haven't gotten around to use them yet.
Maybe.

The Wii is TERRIBLE at web browsing, The flash support is old, no HTML5 support and no dynamic icons. You'd need to make an unofficial Telegram/Discord client if you want any of those running on a Wii.

Reactions: Darker27

MADC1993

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
an unofficial Telegram/Discord client if you want any of those running on a Wii.

Never gonna happen, specially because Discord's TOS don't allow outsourced apps.
Better i'll stick to a Raspberry Pi and leave the wii for retrogaming and perhaps 480p video.

VMHoss

Trophies
Website
vmhoss.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't get the thing to show up anything on my TV (no signal)
I had that issue as well, but for some reason I did not include it in my guide. I fixed it by running the HackMii installer via the Homebrew Channel (Which is just the hackmii boot.elf inside a folder of any name, in the apps folder on the root of the SD).
Though if you want a more "official" method, try str2hax and install bootmii as IOS (if not on boot2)

DarkUmbreon87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had that issue as well, but for some reason I did not include it in my guide. I fixed it by running the HackMii installer via the Homebrew Channel (Which is just the hackmii boot.elf inside a folder of any name, in the apps folder on the root of the SD).
Though if you want a more "official" method, try str2hax and install bootmii as IOS (if not on boot2)
btw i tried it on my other wii (my boot2 compatible one) and it works shows the linux. just not my non boot2 one shows nothing.

LukeDavis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im having a little trouble with this tutorial it complains 2 files are missing and even after attaching the files to the USB it complains
Wii_linux.PNG

LukeDavis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im having a little trouble with this tutorial it complains 2 files are missing and even after attaching the files to the USB it complains
Wii_linux.PNG
i solved that issue by using another USB attached to a USB hub, akthough i have ran into a new fault, is bootmii required for this? because when i launched it without it it just loads text based debian, so i deleted the Boot.elf and replaced it with the mikep5 thing and renamed it to ppcboot,elf and now it doesnt even show up under the homebrew channel

LukeDavis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
after much tinkering i have managed to get it to boot to a text based debian but sadly no gui, am i supposed to use the "debian-etch-4.0+whiite-0.1+xwhiite-0.2.tar.gz" instead of the normal "debian-etch-4.0+whiite-0.1.tar"? Or do i just change the name so the installer doesnt moan at me that i cannot find the correct file?
DSC_1039.JPG

this is using the Xwhiite file and not the normal one

VMHoss

Trophies
Website
vmhoss.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
after much tinkering i have managed to get it to boot to a text based debian but sadly no gui, am i supposed to use the "debian-etch-4.0+whiite-0.1+xwhiite-0.2.tar.gz" instead of the normal "debian-etch-4.0+whiite-0.1.tar"? Or do i just change the name so the installer doesnt moan at me that i cannot find the correct file?
DSC_1039.JPG

this is using the Xwhiite file and not the normal one
I am sure you are supposed to use the one from the "whiitefulllinux.7z" package, not sure what it's called bacause I haven't got it on my PC at the moment, and I haven't used Wii Linux in some time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T tempBOT: tastymeatball has left the room.