Wii just stopped reading disks.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by isaac52, Aug 13, 2009.

Aug 13, 2009
  1. isaac52
    OP

Member isaac52 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    wiikey 1.9s 3.2j wii

Bootmii boot2 installed.

Homebrew channel 1.0.3 installed

I was playing brawl, and mid-match it gave me a read error. White screen, green text. I saw it before, so i thought "eh, no big deal" and restarted.

Gecko never recognized it, exited to disk channel, never recognized it. Tried many other games, re4, no more heroes, harvest moon, the conduit, none work.

And read errors only had started after i started using the music and texture hacks for brawl. At least that's when i noticed them, so there might be a connection.

I also recently tried to upgrade to 4.1, ran the waninko program twice and failed both times, so i gave up. Currently trying to find the guide I used to do so.

After that, wii still worked fine.

I have a nand backup, it read only 3 bad blocks.

I've been playing my wii(brawl) pretty much every day, all day for the past 2-3 months.

Can anyone tell me what my problem is?

I do something wrong with the hacks, the waninko updater, do i need a new disk drive, or perhaps just clean it?

Homebrew channel still works fine, and all i REALLY want to play is brawl. I haven't touched another game in a looong time.

I have two 16gb sd cards which do nothing. Is there any way i can load wii games from SD? Mainly brawl?

2. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    You can try to clean your drives lense, anyway go get yourself a usb drive and play the games via usb loader gx which is a superb loader.

I am using usb loader gx and dont have any problems at all.

3. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    question. does the DVD drive click and make generally loud noises?

i fear 2 of my wii are going in this direction soon.

you can try to order a replacement DVD drive!
    also there are wii repair services online i heard

4. azorpatch

Newcomer azorpatch Member

Mexico
    The same problem happened to me, I would really appreciate if anyone could post a possible solution.

I'm totally sure this has to have a simple fix, it is rather fishy that my wii suddenly stopped reading discs out of nowhere and that it haven't ever failed before. My wii stopped working while playing brawl too. Although by the time it stopped working, my wii was absolutely pure (not anymore though).

Anyway about the usb drive loading thing you said, is there any way to trimm an ISO? I know they are required to fit the DVD size but there must be a way to remove unneeded space for small games.

5. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Just try cleaning your lens

@azorpatch: they are automatically cleaned when you usr the manager to copy to the usb.

6. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    This sadly happened to me last year... Wii started making loud noises on all discs, then after a few months read errors, then eventually it wouldn't play anything. I ordered a replacement d2c drive from modchip central and havent had a problem since in the last 9 months.

7. nadoon

Banned nadoon Banned

United Arab Emirates
    Is your brawl game an original? Or did you mod your wii to play fakes? If your disk is a fake, simple explanation, firmware 3.3 and up block fakes so try putting in your wii sports game in..... Still no? Then get your wii repaired.... Hope this helps!

8. SirTempest

Member SirTempest GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    no firmware blocks any game at the moment. the only block, that was applied, is the trucha bug which was closed in 3.3v1 and the only real problem at the moment is the 002-error in newer games

9. illuvatar

Newcomer illuvatar Member

United Kingdom
    hi can someone help me i'm thinking of changing my wii drive cos i can't get burned dual layer dvds to play and wanted to know if i have to buy an identical chipset or can i go from d2b to a d2c

also does changing the drive affect anything like save files and channels

thanks for any help guy and gals...

10. CheatingSoi

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    Get WBFS Manager. It trims the ISO's as it installs it to your USB drive. Also, if you install a game using GX it trims also.

11. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    I had that happen but i was using occarina cheats for animal crossing heavily and giving ALOT of free shit away online for months
    slowly my disk drive went to hell
    ironically i havent used my disk drive in my new wii i use 1000 gig HDD and Usb loader GX