Wii Iso Loader

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Sotoro, May 15, 2008.

May 15, 2008

Wii Iso Loader by Sotoro at 11:12 AM (15,901 Views / 0 Likes) 26 replies

1. Sotoro
    OP

Member Sotoro GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    In the last weeks the wii homebrew scene exploded and a lot of fantastic tools are already out for the wii. Since some days it's possible to load roms via front sd slot and save on it and this is only one of the fantastic things, that is now possible. But do you think that it will be possible to create a wii iso loader, so that you can load your backups via front sd cart slot?

2. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Possibly. But who knows.

USB mass storage support hasn't come far enough yet, a lot of the people working on this sorta stuff don't want to have anything to do with giving the Wii ability to play pirate software.

It's all about the homebrew.

3. porchemasi

Member porchemasi GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Its VERY VERY highly that a Backup Loader Channel will get released in the very near future. Basically use the Zelda TP Save Hack and install the channel. pop in ur burnt game and load the channel up. oom!

of course this is possible, just a matter of time ... and wondering if its worth giving ANOTHER reason for Nintendo to do a system update and fix this exploit....

its a question about pushing and how hard nintendo wants to push back, which in turn would most likely end up compeltely blocking piracy via the TP hack

4. night_chrono

Member night_chrono GBAtemp Regular

United States
    OF course it will happen, its just a matter of when.

On a semi related note, which would be faster though? An ISO of a USB drive, or the disc? I guess I am asking if the data transfer rate of usb is enough to keep up with the wii's drive.

5. porchemasi

Member porchemasi GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    ISO loading ... meh i doubt it will happen

Backup Disc loading is more likely .....Hope it doesnt happen though ... it will ruin a good console

6. ZeD

Member ZeD GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Wii's Drive runs at 3x and 6x, I think.
    All you need is to fing out the data rates of USB and compare.

Would be nice to have an ISO loader of a HDD thou! Imagaine 500GB of Games lol

7. Marios_shadow

Newcomer Marios_shadow Advanced Member

United States
    I've heard USB loading wouldn't work because the Wii doesn't use USB 2.0, it wouldn't be fast enough.

8. prinzhernan

Newcomer prinzhernan Member

Philippines
    Yeah I think the problem to tackle would be the speed with which the USB drive would read. Also, would the wii recognize bigger sized SD cards?

9. Sotoro
    OP

Germany
    I have a 8GB SDHC Sandisk and it's working with the wii. So that shouldn't be the problem.

10. night_chrono

United States
    The wii has USB 2.0, but currently its locked into USB 1.1 mode.

11. Sotoro
    OP

Germany
    Would be a SD-card fast enough to load and play a iso?

12. night_chrono

United States
    USB 2.0 has a top speed of 480 MBits/sec (60 megabytes).

Most SD cards have a speed of 10 megabytes/sec and some go up to 20 megabytes/sec.

6X DVD is 63.3 Mbits/sec (8.10 megabytes).

So USB and SD are fast enough.

All the info was from wikipedia.

13. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Loading backups via the sd card slot?

.....No

14. CasperH

CasperH Newbie

Burning a disc would be a lot easier... I hope it is going to happen!

15. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It won't happen via a homebrew channel, period.

That would require some way of initializing the entire IOS and then passing arguments to it, while emulating the "Starlet".

A few DVD read commands aren't going to cut it.... you're talking about a lot of work compared to installing a drivechip.

This will happen when we're able to not only read the entire, unencrypted NAND, but write to it, as well. A few key players in the homebrew scene are starting to do this, with the advent of the WAD Installer, but this is in an infantile state, where new files are being added instead of old ones being overwritten.

Once we can patch the firmware with a custom build, I believe you'll see the Wii go downhill.

Unlicensed disks, support for all types of storage(including USB mass storage), custom Wii menu themes, media players that support more formats than an iPod, and a Wii version of Firefox are just a few things I can think might happen.

16. Sebastian25

Member Sebastian25 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As soon as the NAND is decrypted (which I think has already passed) then I think it will be possible to open up the Wii's power.. much like the XBOX.

I dont think too many hackers would be adamant about releasing the tool. But I don't think that such an event would hurt Nintendo in the long run.

That argument that piracy and homebrew hurts video game manufacter's is flawed. Look at Playstation and Playstation 2, the advent of console piracy, yet

their sales are astronomical (both software and hardware). The wii's target market is non-gamers with 24 million units sold, at most less than 10% probably would or have

engaged in console piracy... most people are unaware or dont bother.

17. teq

United States

Yeah, you're a little off.

I've fully dumped the NAND -- it's nothing but a playground for the firmware. The farthest you'd get without writing an extensive amount of new code would be to edit the Wii's string and image data.

System channels are lame ducks.

I unpacked the Nintendo Channel last night to see if I could exploit the video player, only to find that it uses Opera as a subsystem and that the videos are all flash based. They could've just made a Youtube channel and gotten the same effect.

18. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'll agree with teq on that one. Seems like Nintendo is doing there best to not add any code that would be beneficial to the homebrew scene. Wether they are doing this on purpose or just to save themselves time by not coding something that is unneeded by the general public.

I think and ISO loader is a long ways off. Is it impossible? No. Is someone going to sit down and write the code in the next month or so? No. The Wii has alot of work that needs to be done in the coding end before it's even feasable to create such a high-profile software like an ISO loader.

I think first you'll see a backup loader before you see an ISO loader. I remember reading somewhere that the disk drive cannot be patched by software, and that even after it's flashed, the Wii restores the drive to it's original state once it's reset. So already that tells us that we would need to be able to rewrite the flash of the dvd drive that is stored internally in the Wii, so that when the Wii reflashes itself, it would still be "unlocked". That is just in theory of course so don't quote me on the mechanics.

All I'm trying to say is that we need to actually understand the Wii and it's mechanics fully before we can start attempting to change the way it works. Will it happen? Yes. Just like it's happened with every system that has been modded. Are we close to an ISO loader or a Backup loader? No. Just be happy with the THOUSANDS of games already available in homebrew and either invest in a chip, or buy a few games that you really want. Everyone seems to love the Wii so much, but nobody wants to support the company who makes it. I know there's alot of people who wanna load backups of their own games, but there's even more people here who aren't as legit.

19. teq

United States
    Furthermore, it would take less work to write a subsystem that would have a USB Mass Storage device emulate the DVD drive than to try to unlock the drive itself.

As far as I know, the reason for a drivechip is just a quick, sloppy way of patching data that is fed by the Starlet to the drive, as the drive is just a hard to come by LG that can be replaced very easily.

20. Sotoro
    OP

Germany
    So it would be much easier to create a tool, that allows you to load backuped games on dvd?