Wii isn't "Next-Gen" enough for GodFather II

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
“We felt that in order to truly deliver on the vision of The Godfather II we really had to focus and take advantage of what the next gen hardware has to offer, including online connectivity. The next gen hardware is simply more robust and allows for a higher visual bar and immersive experience. A next gen hardware focus enables higher-resolution textures, longer draw distances, and better frame-rates. But we also harnessed the power of the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 to make gameplay improvements as well. We were able to create an all new Artificial Intelligence system to make our characters act and react more intelligently.”
- Godfather II Producer Dave Woldman

News Source: GoNintendo

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure some will piss and moan about this but the devs have the right to do this to their own games. Sure the Wii version of the first game was the best but hardware can do a lot more than just make pretty graphics.

I'm glad that they didn't do a cut down version for the Wii, there wouldn't have been much point.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raiyu245 said:
Noitora said:
I'm glad I got a 360.
Off topic: Since when did you get a 360. I wasn't aware of this.

On topic: I think they went the right decision of this. I'd rather them make an original game then port a game and make it look really bad.

I agree with you on this. It'd be like taking an SNES game and porting it to the NES.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SNES is still superior to all current gen systems. They should port it to that!
tongue.gif
joke

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
The SNES is still superior to all current gen systems. They should port it to that!
tongue.gif
joke

I love my SNES, just only have a couple games left for it (Super Mario RPG and Spindizzy Worlds).

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
While I agree that the Wii doesn't have most of what we typically describe as "next-gen" features, it not being next-gen is a false statement. The term "next-gen" or "next generation" doesn't refer to the physical hardware under the hood, but rather the current console generation (which is on the seventh, by the way).

It's not about what's it's technically capable of, or what parts or software variants are being used... it's about when it was released. So, for example, if they released a new version of the NES with only slightly improved technology to the mass market, it would for all intents and purposes be a "next gen console".

It's a shame they're not releasing a Wii version, though. Godfather: Blackhand Edition was the strongest of the previous Godfather releases.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo needs to step up their hardware next-gen, because if it goes with 360/PS3 type hardware, they are screwed. A lot of multi-platform games will miss a Nintendo release because the hardware is crap.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I'm reading between the lines of that statement is: Nintendo has done a great job of positioning the Wii as the new, hip and family friendly system of the current generation, yet they've done absolutely nothing more than make token gestures to show support for gamers' games.

It's what most publishers have been beating around the bush with publicly.

I sincerely hope SEGA has success with their real support of real games, but there's no real proof they can pull it off. RE4 Wii Edition and Red Steel don't prove anything other than the fact that early Wii owners were hungry as hell for games. That's common every cycle in the first part of a new generation. On the whole, however, Nintendo has not poised the system for those types of games, and more so than any system before it, they've turned the Wii into a yuppy icon. Mature games will have moderate success at best, except for perhaps one or two break-out titles that will likely turn up near the end of this generation of systems.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Raven Darkheart said:
nintendo consoles have been crap since the snes tbh, so im not surprised

Actually.. the N64 had a much better hardware than it's main competitor, the PSX. And the NGC was also better than the PS2, heck, Capcom had to lower the resolutions of the textures and take of a few lighting effects on the PS2 port of RE4 cause the PS2 could handle it.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think Godfather for Wii had really awesome motion controls and it was just fun to punch people and to push people around. It felt really good and that was something I thought really enhanced the experience.

So I really would have liked to see this game being made for Wii...

kenshiro84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
CockroachMan said:
Well, I prefer no game to a bad port lacking features that no one will play like COD:WaW and the last 007 game.. really.. Wii games need to be exclusive to be good..
007 was crap! I'm OK with that, but COD:waw was very good and one of the best shooters I played in this console.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would agree that the Wii version of The Godfather was by far the best version out there. Maybe they can make a Wii version/offset using a revamped version of the graphics engine from the original?

Scorpin200

Iceman
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What's all this talk of nexgen the damn systems are current gen, and just like the idiots that made the first godfather they should know because none of their games weren't even considered to be up to par with this generation of systems.

"007 was crap! I'm OK with that, but COD:waw was very good and one of the best shooters I played in this console."

you know what is that guy smoking? i rather smooth gameplay, and real controls to a choppy hd gimmicky game any day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs