Hardware Wii is Perma-Crashing..Why Can't I Just D/C the DVD?

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I have an old Launch Wii that was fitted with a wii-clip/d2ckey. Through the course of the wii falling a couple times (kids!) the clip was loosened, which resulted in a couple re-fittings..

So the other day, we turn the Wii on and there's zero dvd drive activity. The Wii loads, but will crash with the 'An error has occured...' message if i tried to load wii-ware, vc, or and iso's via sd/usb. I can however run programs from the sd.

Anyways, during one of the clip re-fittings, a couple legs were bent sideways, and the one on the very end broke off when i tried to bend it back with a pin..i know, dumb move
frown.gif

question is, is the dvd-drive essential to wii operation, and is there any type of file/program that tells the wii to ignore the drive? i've tried totally disconnecting the dvd drive, the wii keeps crashin tho

I'd be happy just ot run wii-ware and vc for now, problem is they all crash if i try to load em..

is it fux0red or can i just get a new dvd-drive icb? suggestions, folks?

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tichinde925 said:
solder the leg back in?

well, it might be possible, but they're so small, definately out of my league soldering-wise....found some info that said you could file away the top of the chip until you uncover the legs and then re-solder, but nah..the drive is pretty old anyways (launch) so something mechanical could go anytime..ended up ordering a new replacement d2c drive from a reputable canadian store for $70 cdn, which is a pretty good deal imo

there are a lot of replacement drives in china/asia on ebay for around 50-$60 usd (one place with free ship, rest were like $30 and up to canada) but i was wary about going that route..many sites had disclaimers like 'units are not tested, have scratches, but don't worry they work' and stuff like that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: