1. stok3d

OP stok3d Retro Gaming Inc.

Canada
    So I have an old Launch Wii that was fitted with a wii-clip/d2ckey. Through the course of the wii falling a couple times (kids!) the clip was loosened, which resulted in a couple re-fittings..

So the other day, we turn the Wii on and there's zero dvd drive activity. The Wii loads, but will crash with the 'An error has occured...' message if i tried to load wii-ware, vc, or and iso's via sd/usb. I can however run programs from the sd.

Anyways, during one of the clip re-fittings, a couple legs were bent sideways, and the one on the very end broke off when i tried to bend it back with a pin..i know, dumb move [​IMG]

question is, is the dvd-drive essential to wii operation, and is there any type of file/program that tells the wii to ignore the drive? i've tried totally disconnecting the dvd drive, the wii keeps crashin tho

I'd be happy just ot run wii-ware and vc for now, problem is they all crash if i try to load em..

is it fux0red or can i just get a new dvd-drive icb? suggestions, folks?

2. Tichinde925

Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    solder the leg back in?

3. stok3d

OP stok3d Retro Gaming Inc.

Canada
    well, it might be possible, but they're so small, definately out of my league soldering-wise....found some info that said you could file away the top of the chip until you uncover the legs and then re-solder, but nah..the drive is pretty old anyways (launch) so something mechanical could go anytime..ended up ordering a new replacement d2c drive from a reputable canadian store for $70 cdn, which is a pretty good deal imo

there are a lot of replacement drives in china/asia on ebay for around 50-$60 usd (one place with free ship, rest were like $30 and up to canada) but i was wary about going that route..many sites had disclaimers like 'units are not tested, have scratches, but don't worry they work' and stuff like that

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Crashing, Perma,