Wii homebrew - Pimp My Wii v2.11

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by matrixebiz, Dec 15, 2010.

Dec 15, 2010
  1. matrixebiz
    OP

Newcomer matrixebiz Advanced Member

Canada
    Hello All, does anyone have experience with this app?

Read different opinions over the internet and was wondering if users that have used this before if the new v2.11 works good and I'm thinking that the people having issues were ones that are at Wii software 4.3 using this, I'm still at 4.2U so I'm thinking of checking it out.

lLoking to get the new Wii Shop channel hack on so it doesn't ask me to update my Wii when I go there.

Thanks

2. kylster

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    I have used PimpMyWii v2.11 on a 4.3u wii but only under manual installation. Also note after talking to some of the people on the forum there is a 1% chance of a brick when using the app but it was more or less related to the Auto Installation option of PimpMyWii nothing really about the Manuel but assuming this you still probably got a 1% chance of a brick nothing greater nothing less.

I have used it on 2 Wii's, but if your looking for a good way to update your IOS's you can also use MMM "MultiModManager", Dop-Mii v12 (if you want to patch IOS), Dop-Mii Wiibrew Edition v14.5 with AHBPROT (Direct Hardware Access). Though PimpMyWii was very simple in the way it updates your IOS. Go ahead and use it I've never experienced a problem and for a quick fix it's great and there is no difference between updating this way or Dop-Mii or ModMii except for the unlucky 1% who get a brick.

Hope this helps. I have a forum already about PimpMyWii & Modmii also it's only 2 pages so wont take long to read it. ---> http://goo.gl/NU3xG

3. matrixebiz
    OP

Canada
    Ok, thanks, it shouldn't hurt to run it in "Pass the test" mode at first to see what IOS's it thinks I need to update anyway. If I have any questions on which IOS's it wants to update I guess I can always ask here.

4. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Use PimpMyWii only when you are comfortable and know what it is doing.

I recommend you download DOP-Mii, use it to download IOS56 and ShopChannel v20.

5. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Dont use PimpMyWii. As simple as that.

6. Gh0sti

Member Gh0sti iOS Guru

United States
    i used it to get to the latest wii os 4.3(b) without issues, so idk is this an update to the pimpmywii app?

7. matrixebiz
    OP

Canada
    Thanks guys, I think I'm going to try ModMii for Windows and let it re-softmod me with the latest updates.

8. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    ModMii's way better than pimpmywii anyways [​IMG]

Granted I'm biased, and in the past I tried avoiding directly comparing ModMii to pimpmywii... but screw it, I'm proud of my app, and I'm confident that most ppl (pros and noobs alike) who've tried both pimpmywii and modmii will prefer modmii.

And ModMii is a complete softmodding solution... pimpmywii on the other hand doesn't help ppl install the homebrew channel, users need figure that out for themselves. Not to mention that pimpmywii relies on ppl having wifi on their wii, a luxury not everyone has. And with all the features I've added to ModMii over the past year, ModMii can do it all, from installing SNEEK & building an emulated NAND, to setting up a usb-loader or downloading fun apps like WiiMC.

Lastly, ppl generally learn something from using ModMii, whereas ppl using pimpmywii rely on the app to do all thinking... which is messed up if u ask me.

9. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    Word.

But we still need a Mac OSX version of ModMii...

10. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
    well, to be fair. modmii doesn't do anything

the apps you call do the work. so you can't compare pimp my wii to modmii

though, I don't think Pimp My Wii is worth anything so...

11. XFlak

Canada
    That's not entirely true, ModMii automates things that no other app does, like building cIOSs in wad form, as well as csm files and themed system menu wads. It also builds emulated nands and performs other functions. Of course to accomplish all this I use cmd line tools like WadMii, nusd, nusfilegrabber (which I personally have been updating in Leathl's absence), etc. But the fact that I use proven apps on the Wii like MMM to do the all the work is a positive thing from my perspective.

But your point is well taken, ModMii would not exist without all its supporting cmd line tools, and I am grateful to all the dev's who've directly or indirectly helped me build ModMii (yourself included). But I disagree about not being able to compare ModMii to pimpmywii, while they work in totally different ways, they both offer a customizable, noob-friendly solution to softmodding Wii's. Hypothetically speaking, If ModMii and pimpmywii were corporations trying to make a profit, we would be direct competitors with each other. And in the end, I think ModMii would satisfy its "customers" better because it offers a complete solution (from setting up the sd card for initial HBC installation to setting up a usb-loader), its doesn't require wifi on the Wii, it offers more choices without overwhelming ppl and it has perfect track record (ModMii's never bricked a single Wii... ever!). Heck, I've had reports of a 56-year old and a 6-year old each modding a Wii by themselves using ModMii... if that doen't illustrate ModMii's ease of use, I don't know what will!

Anyways, I fully expect you to come back and debate the matter further, but thats fine by me. Out of curiosity though, have you ever even used ModMii? You're obviously advanced enough that you don't NEED to use it... but I'm just curious if you've had any experience with it personally to formulate your own opinion.

12. JonthanD

Member JonthanD GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have two launch Wii's one hard mod and one soft. Hard mod Wii hates Pimp My Wii for some reason and only will update with either Mod Mii or Dark Corp, Soft mod eats what ever I throw at it with no complaints.

Might need to add that the hard mod is a Wii Key 1.99 I installed me self.

I guess morel of the story is, use what ever works for you.

13. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
    I use linux. no modmii there

I've watched videos of it and talked to users.

you can't compare pimp my wii and modmii for 1 even more simple reason. modmii is a PC batch script. pimp my wii is a wiiside installer.

also, your app does packing? your app really does packing, unpacking, packing. it's quite laughable when it could be done in 1 step.

spoiler: good news for many. there might be a new tool that works on linux, mac, and windows soon that does things properly and doesnt' rely on any other software to do it all

14. XFlak

Canada
    u telling me u don't have acess to a windows machine at all? That's sad, I know linux is awesome, but still...

I realize pimp my wii and ModMii are totally different, but they do the same thing! When a noob asks, "how do I mod my Wii", someone could give them 2 answers, ModMii or pimp my wii, so if you have to choose between which one to use, don't they have to be compared? I'm not trying to claim I could do a better job of building pimp my wii, I'm sure I couldn't... but I think its silly to claim they cannot be compared. The two apps are mutually exclusive (or at least intended to be), so how would anybody be able to decide which one to use if they can't compare them? Here's a dark example 4 u, its like comparing a gun to a knife, they may be totally different, but if you want to murder someone, they can both get the job done.

From my perspective, ModMii has been a huge success. What started as a small personal project turned into one of the most popular Wii modding tools/guides around today. So regardless of its minor inefficiencies and inability to run on linux, I'm proud of my work. I'm not a developer, I never studied C++, I work with spreadsheets and numbers... and before I started building ModMii, I didn't even know that much about cmd line. I dare say that now I may be the most well known "wii dev" without a background in computers. Anyways, I encourage u to get on a windows machine and actually try using ModMii. Obviously I know the inner workings of ModMii better than anyone, and even I find it useful to set up an sd card to mod a Wii. I could set it up manually if I wanted to... but why bother? Just because I know what I'm doing doesn't mean I want to waste my time doing it.

re. your spoiler, I think I already know all about that project. The dev behind it sent me PMs with photo's. He also indicated that it wouldn't do everything that ModMii does. It will do a lot of amazing things much more efficiently than ModMii (like building nands without having to pack and unpack wads), but I don't think he has any intention of making it able to mod a wii from start to finish like ModMii does. Anyways, you probably know more on the matter than I do, and I'm excited for its release!

Anyways, out of curiosity, are u working on anything interesting these days that you'd like to share with us? Are u perhaps working with the dev I referred to above on his new app? Good luck to u on all u do!

15. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
    I'm working on an app or two using his framework.

I'm also doing some work with a usbgecko. then there's the project with IOS modules. then there's some PPC asm work. basically, lots of projects, not enough time.
    this is just wii stuff.

there's other consoles with work too

16. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
    ok, if we're allowed to compare...

I suppose Pimp My Wii is better. when you've finished with one of the apps you will have something done to your wii. as that is the end result hoping to be achieved I'd say Pimp My Wii is better. when you're done with modmii you have some files and a nice digital paper with notes

17. markehmus

Member markehmus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada

although i love and respect megazig's comments and advice,

i think... this time i want to interject , and say...

yes, pimpmywii does the trick.
    modmii is an alternative... (far below i suggest others).

megazig is right,
    no point in this comparing , really , no point

and i wouldn't use either right now....

here is my opinion/what i do :

1.) download this NUSD ,
    from the origin CLICK HERE

2.) then unzip

3.) click the NUSDownloader.exe

4.) wait for the database... tab to complete its 'update' for a few seconds
    ... and then click it(database... tab) and select system>shopchannel>all/system>latestversion
    ...check the box at the very bottem that says pack -> wad then click start NUS download! tab at the top
    (this will create a wad to install with any wad manager)

5.) when that's done , click the database... tab again IOS>ios56(latestversion) ...ios 56 v5662
    ... make sure the pack -> wad is still selected at the bottem

use these wad from sd to install to your wii

side notes:

great site for help on such things : http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/other-stuff/wii-shop

http://gbatemp.net/t208281-mmm-multi-mod-m...t&p=2592256
    http://mmm4wii.posterous.com/
    MMM is another alternative to pimpmywii that lets you select things to do as well ,
    it has a wad manager and a few nice features all done right from your wii...
    ...like pimpmywii you'll do best to have wifi on your Wii setup.

18. matrixebiz
    OP

Canada
    Ok, thanks for the info guys

19. DJ_Eric

Newcomer DJ_Eric Member

United States
    Let me say this. I tried using pimp my wii earlier and I hated it and I was still left clueless, this was when I was still noob, although I still seem noobish. When I heard word of modmii it had changed everything for me. I got every detail of instructions. Unfortunately, when running pimp my wii, if anyone ever screws up anything and needs to provide info to the community so they can help that person, all they can say is "I used pimp my wii", but with modmii I can go and know EXACTLY everything that was installed. I have a complete record of it that I don't have to jump through hoops to find.

And quite honestly, just look how much modmii is used compared to pimp my wii. This thread is the first I've seen mentioned of it on this forum for the past 4 months that I've been browsing here. The general consensus is that modmii wins. I ALWAYS hear people recommending modmii, but NEVER pimp my wii. The proof is in the pudding.

20. Burton

Member Burton Real Life VIP and Educator

Puerto Rico
    ok, if we're allowed to compare...

I suppose MODMII is better. when you've finished with one of the apps you will have something done to your wii. as that is the end result hoping to be achieved I'd say MODMII is better. when you're done with PIMP MY WII you have more warnings than a result.