Homebrew Wii homebrew lists contain soooooooo much shovelware crap

Kassius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for learning and refining your craft, but I personally don't to see every batch of programming you design. I'm very pro indie developer and everything, but most lists of wii homebrew (well not just wii but especially) are just embarrassing.

I mean, firing up the homebrew browser is getting less and less and less exciting, as not much comes out beyond "tic-tac-toe" and "generic pong rehash #17834"

It really kills me to see crap like that hog up space in lists like on wiibrew next to some applications and games that took severely more effort, creativity, and talent.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Kassius said:
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for learning and refining your craft, but I personally don't to see every batch of programming you design. I'm very pro indie developer and everything, but most lists of wii homebrew (well not just wii but especially) are just embarrassing.

I mean, firing up the homebrew browser is getting less and less and less exciting, as not much comes out beyond "tic-tac-toe" and "generic pong rehash #17834"

It really kills me to see crap like that hog up space in lists like on wiibrew next to some applications and games that took severely more effort, creativity, and talent.

we are still waiting for your contribution then... let's see how good you can be as a "pro indie developper"

homebrew is what its name means: this is amateur work and will never be anything else, professsional go buy Nintendo toolkit and work for money, not for free
if people are brave ebnough to step into homebrew and share with others instead of just leaching/bashing/begging other's work like the majority is doing, they have ALL my respect, no matter how crap they can code/design stuff

I never thought I would have to explain that to a "pro developper"
wacko.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Much like the idea behind slating a game based on potential; nobody really expects the next horse game on the DS to be a console defining title causing millions of sales and rave reviews but if the next pokemon game or something was unequivocally bad or even just as banal as many of the horse games things would be different and similar situation exists in homebrew. I doubt any homebrew dev ever expects their tic tac toe game to get their names/apps up there with the top flight authors, emulators, media players, ports and all the other high grade apps that exist.

The other side of it is while some are just "I got my IDE to work, here is my test app" many of these little apps try new and interesting libraries, designs and methods of doing things way before any of the big apps refactor their code to accept/work with them.

Yet another side to it: there is a reason flash games and/or those stock windows games are some of the most played games in the world.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
we are still waiting for your contribution then... let's see how good you can be as a "pro indie developper"

homebrew is what its name means: this is amateur work and will never be anything else, professsional go buy Nintendo toolkit and work for money, not for free
if people are brave ebnough to step into homebrew and share with others instead of just leaching/bashing/begging other's work like the majority is doing, they have ALL my respect, no matter how crap they can code/design stuff

I never thought I would have to explain that to a "pro developper"
wacko.gif

I don't agree with him but at least read his post.

He said he is pro indie developer, not is A pro indie developer. As in.. he supports them, not that he's a god in developing. But I suppose with all the crap netspeak ruining the English Language you wouldn't know what the word "pro" actually means anymore.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
you're right, seems like I misunderstood that part

still, all homebrew release are worth imo, because they are free and involved some effort from people, no matter how good coders they are... and no matter of what you like or dislike

let's remember that homebrew devs are generally working for fun and for themselves, they don't owe us anything regarding software quality
most people tends to forget that once they get used to download "cool stuffs for free"

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kassius said:

Funny. What really kills me is seeing posts like yours hogging up space on GBATemp next to some topics about applications and games that took severely more effort, creativity and talent.

Kassius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I say I'm pro indie development, I mean that I graciously support the development of independent games by amateur developers, not that I am one myself.

I fully understand that what I am saying may be harsh and by all means dickheaded, but it's how I feel and I can't help but think that it's how many others feel but feel too awkward expressing it.

I wouldn't be able to develop a game. I couldn't. Programming isn't a path I took in life, and I have other creative hobbies in their stead. However, I am fairly certain that had I, I would wait until I felt I had something worthwhile to contribute before I began trying to get it hosted on websites available to the public as examples of my work.

In any creative field be it indie music, literature, directing or producing, I don't feel the the fact that it is "independent" gives it an all inclusive license to be exempt from judgment. I don't expect an indie game developer to be able to compete with a multi million dollar team of developers working for a licensed label any more than I can expect a guy with a webchat microphone be able to record hi definition quality music or a high school student to be able to write like the next james joyce, but I feel it's an insult to the people who do put forth the effort and display creativity and talent and develop something surprisingly great with what limited resources they have if there can't be a standard set that recognizes their contribution.

I mean, what do you expect me to say. It's like it doesn't matter what they make, they just want to put something "out there" that's made by them, regardless of what it is or what kind of qualitative value it actually has.

I mean, imagine an indie music website that hosted a guitar player who submitted material every week since the first day he started playing. Sure by week 4 you may have learned how to play "twinkle twinkle little star" and hey, good for you, keep at it. But I think it goes without saying that the world doesn't necessarily need to hear it, especially if it's an indie site that actually hosts good songs by people who've already taken the time to hone their craft.

But I really don't think I'll be changing anyone's mind, given that they've probably cast their judgment of me.

Kassius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
The other side of it is while some are just "I got my IDE to work, here is my test app" many of these little apps try new and interesting libraries, designs and methods of doing things way before any of the big apps refactor their code to accept/work with them.

I recognize, accept, and concede to this point. Most definitely. In the circumstances that merit it of course.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I do understand what you're trying to say, and the only answer I can give you is:

As I've seeing this scene (first scene involved ever), I do have made a few petitions about making this homebrew/app/game/etc and the answer of all the developers is: ".....well, why don't you do it and show us what you want..??.." or "..well I have a project of my own.." or they simply don't want to be part of a project that is not of their like and/or thousands of reasons because not all want or look for the same app/tool/game, I propoused for a Theremin, wich is a music syntheziser (NO GO or didn't know what was it) I ask for an audio sampler with personalisable pictures/audio (same and no one saw any use for it), and finally a drum kit with board support (all told me the same: Use the one from GlovePIE) after this three attemps of request I tryed to learn how to code and start my own audio sampler as I wanted, but there was no good tuts or patience and/or people willing to teach, after a while I throw the towel and give up and forgot my plans of having a Drum Kit, Theremin Synth and Audio Sampler, cause my main idea was to have a real music band playing each musician with his own Wii (cause if the audio sampler were have been made, the guitar controller support would've come right next), so after 1 year I just don't really care if someone makes a nice or not app, as long as I can play my Wii games without paying for them, there are a few coders for Wii that can do a lot of real nifty stuff, but 1 head is nothing when it comes to execute an idea, and they will never ever ever make a team cause THEY DON'T CARE.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: b