Wii Homebrew Channel: Its abilities and uses.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Grimm, Mar 23, 2009.

Mar 23, 2009
  1. Grimm
    OP

Newcomer Grimm Advanced Member

United States
    I've started reading about hacking my Wii and running homebrew on it. So far what I understand is that I can run the Twilight exploit and then install the Homebrew channel which will allow me to boot homebrew programs from there. If this is incorrect, call me on it please.

Now from there another question arises; What can I do with this?

I'm already the owner of a soft-modded Xbox (original, not 360) which can play NES, SNES, GB/A, Genesis, SMS, Xbox backups, some PSX games, Divx and other compressed audio and video and so on and so forth as well as having a Divx DVD player which can play any audio/video that the Xbox can't.

The only things I can't play at this point are Wii backups, Gamecube backups and of course PS3/Xbox360 games, since I dont have those systems.

So here's the big question: What kinds of things can I do with my Wii that will make it worth the trouble of modding?

2. Rebound

Member Rebound GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    It will narrow your list of things you cant play down to just Xbox 360/PS3

That's about all it can do better than the Xbox, except some relatively small things and the helpful Wiimote support

3. BMasterP

Member BMasterP GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands

first off topic. Since when does a divx dvd player has support for more audio video files than the newest xbox mediacenter edition??? or do you mean the h.264 codec?

on topic, i've emulated all the older consoles on the wii as well, but i'm sticking to the xbox emulators, for the disc space that you have, for the easyness. so if you ask me this falls off,
    what remains is wiiware games and backups and for this, yess this is woth the trouble of modding(actually there really is no trouble if you can read, easy as hell)

4. Grimm
    OP

United States
    Off topic: I usually use my Divx DVD player to run avi files on the tv, rather than heating up the laser on my Xbox every time I want to watch a movie. I figure that since the Xbox is kind of hard to find and this one cost me a pretty penny to get softmodded, anything I can do to extend its life will be done. The Divx player on the other hand cost me $30 at Wal Mart and is a pretty good value since it plays 75% of the shit I throw at it.

So I guess its whatever my Divx player cant play, my Xbox can.

Back on topic: What are Wiiware games? I've had my Wii for over 2 years and have only played it a handful of times. I guess this is mainly due to the expense of the games ($50 US or more, each) and the fact that there is no "demo" system to speak of. I remember when Playstation was first getting big there were a ton of demo discs flying around, which was great because I could try out a game and get hooked, then I had to go buy it. With the Wii it seems like there are some games which look interesting, but so far nothing that really looks like its worth $50 to try.

Except Twilight Princess and Call of Duty 3, which I actually paid $30 for. [​IMG]

5. geishroy

Suspended geishroy Suspended

United States
    the fact of the matter is, there is really no "trouble" in modding. it's actually quite painless, and you already have the component that you would have to spend money on, the TP game. although you will also need a sd card to put the homebrew on, you can pick that up for under $10 if you don't already own one.

I'd recommend softmodding the wii just to have all the emulation it brings. I hate wii games, and really i hate the wii as a system entirely, homebrew is the only reason i still have it. I'd rather just download a shitty game and play it one time wasting a .10 dvd, then rent it or buy it. i mean i've probably spent more on gamecube titles than I have on wii ones, and even now you don't even have to do that.

softmodding will also eliminate the need to make avi discs entirely, and subsequently the player you own. i've bashed other posters before about relying on mplayer or geexbox to play media, but in your case, i guess it's a good thing to look for. With these apps you'll have the ablility to just put the media on a flash drive and play it directly from the wii, plus it has a ton of different codec support.

other than that there are a ton of different console emulators for it, vc and wiiware installation, and just a shit ton more things to do.

6. Grimm
    OP

United States
    Whats Wiiware?

7. Grimm
    OP

United States
    I like to use discs for my avi files because then I have everything there and ready to go when I want it. Plus I don't have to keep everything on my hard drive.

I guess the main reason to soft mod my Wii would be to play Wii and Gamecube backups. It doesn't seem like the homebrew scene has a lot more available than the homebrew for Xbox.

Of course, this is what i've deduced based on the few replies i've actually recieved.

And no one has given me a straight answer as to what "Wiiware" is.