Wii Homebrew at 480p? Is it posible?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ICEM4N, Mar 1, 2008.

Mar 1, 2008
  1. ICEM4N
    OP

Newcomer ICEM4N Newbie

Hi,

I haven't a TV, only a TFT monitor, so I HAVE TO use 480p resolution (That's the way it works with pc monitors, and it was a very painfull experience to get the 480p enabled without image on the screen).

The facts :
    - GameCube games doesn't run in 480p, only in 480i.
    - Actually Wii homebrew is based on GC homebrew.
    - I don't have a USB/SD Gecko to test it by my own.

So i'm asking myself if Wii homebrew will run at 480p. I'm a programmer, i already did some little things on the DS, and i'm interested in doing something on the wii.
    I don't want to order (yes, i live in europe so there're some taxes) a USB/SD Gecko to realise that i can't see anything on the screen nor can't test my own code.

I ask : Is it possible to run homebrew at 480p? Does it actually do? In a future?

2. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    yes wii homebrew can run at 480p in theory. it's all very new however, so you might want to wait a bit for ppl to write tutorials, guides, etc, since you don't seem like a low-level haxing sort of guy

3. ICEM4N
    OP

Newcomer ICEM4N Newbie

Thanks. I've been looking into the source code of libogc adding new video_modes "seems easy". I really don't know how difficult it's but it seems you only have to define a new GxRModeObj with some specs of the video mode. Since i don't know so much about 480p and i haven't a Gecko adapter i though i have to wait until someone else could test it.

Thanks for answering. There's light at the end of the tunnel ^^

4. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    I'm not sure that all emulators for example could support it, with the games not being progressive scan enabled n such?