Hardware Wii heated up

NarcoticV

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A while ago, i noticed that my wii is getting very hot. And the strange thing is: it does this while it's in standby mode. When i put my wii in standby mode (orange power LED), after an hour or so when I feel the case on the left side of the wii (when it's standing up vertically), it's very hot - and when i actually turn it on to play a game, the heat dissapears!

For now, I've decided to unplug the power jack when I'm not playing, but I'm wondering how warm your wii's are getting in standby mode. I guess i should be worrying about this...

Any help appreciated.
smile.gif

sanghoku

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
same here... i think all wiis do that, probably because fans not working when on 'standby' but it's still using power for internet acces, and thus doing processing jobs which causes the heat... don't think it's anything to worry about though...

NarcoticV

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hehe, the last thing i expected was that this was normal behaviour. Guess it's nothing to worry about, though I still think this "feature" is strange
blink.gif

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I am glad that I am not the only one who is experiencing this. The question now is how much power does it consume on an hourly/daily basis in standby mode. It sure seems like an excessive amount of heat generated for just standing by.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am glad that I am not the only one who is experiencing this. The question now is how much power does it consume on an hourly/daily basis in standby mode. It sure seems like an excessive amount of heat generated for just standing by.
For a while I never thought much about the heat, but I never realizes that until you mentioned it. For standby mode, it's getting too warm...

ozzyzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am glad that I am not the only one who is experiencing this. The question now is how much power does it consume on an hourly/daily basis in standby mode. It sure seems like an excessive amount of heat generated for just standing by.

From what I hear, though research would be much more substantial, the Wii is supposed to be VERY energy efficient.

omegajedi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A while ago, i noticed that my wii is getting very hot. And the strange thing is: it does this while it's in standby mode. When i put my wii in standby mode (orange power LED), after an hour or so when I feel the case on the left side of the wii (when it's standing up vertically), it's very hot - and when i actually turn it on to play a game, the heat dissapears!

Is your Wii containted in some sort of entertainment cabinet or is it free standing? I am asking several people this just to get an idea or what kind of conditions lead to over heating.

mr_ding

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Manually press the power button on the console by holding it like 5-6sec, it will switch to (red LED). The console will not be hot in this case.

And I think the WiiConnect24 is still on too since I still get new Mii inside the parade.

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Most of the standby heat would be coming from the wireless cards (which are still operable) in standby mode.
Just feel any wireless USB dongle or card when in use on a PC and you'll see what I mean.

arthurkok2

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
wii in standby mode uses an average of 10W

so...

10W / 1000W/kW = 0.010 kW x 24h/day = 0.240 kWh/day x $0.06/kWh = $0.0144/day * 365day/year = $5.256/year (Canadian dollars)

so don't eat at mcdonalds once and ull save enough to run your wii on standby for a year!

I can't remember where, but I'm sure I read the Wii uses about the same energy in standby (with WiiConnect 24 on) as a lightbulb.

10W does not equal a lightbulb.
-unless its a flashlight bulb
-unless ur using a incredibly low wattage flourecent bulb

stripeyonefromta

Trophies
XP
Country
I may be the only person to have this happen to their Wii... it has on a number of occasions got hot enough to fully turn off in standby mode and while playing this requires me to pull the power plug out of the back of the wii and put it back in befor i can get any action out of it

cabby3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see the point really..
Wiiconnect24 is stupid anyways..Just turn it off and your Wii can stay cool all the time

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge. +1