Hardware Wii hdmi to crt converter?

fst312

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I’m not 100% what I’m looking to do but I know I want my Wii games to look clearer or better. If I get a crt converter I think it will look like how it used when it first came out. If I get an hdmi converter maybe it will look just as good. For crt look not too sure because almost everything I see looks like it’s aiming for hdmi.

For hdmi I’m thinking this maybe good
Upgraded Version Wii to HDMI Converter + High Speed HDMI Cable - Wii2 HDMI 1080P 720P HD Connector with 3.5mm Audio Jack Support All Wii Display Modes, Compatible with Full HD Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QWVN66...abc_X5EDTY6MDDBMPZGHSYZF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I mean, that Wii2Hdmi provides a noisy hdmi signal (it looks weird on some TVs). It will work for most TVs but some TVs hate it in my experience. Traditionally, people use those really expensive upscalers. I've tried out the mCable on the hdmi and it doesn't really help much.

For CRT, why not just use a component to VGA cable or just the composite cable? With a component/composite->HDMI->CRT, you're going analog->digital->analog where conversion loses clarity and muddles up the picture.

Last edited by fvig2001,

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I’m not 100% what I’m looking to do but I know I want my Wii games to look clearer or better. If I get a crt converter I think it will look like how it used when it first came out. If I get an hdmi converter maybe it will look just as good. For crt look not too sure because almost everything I see looks like it’s aiming for hdmi.
Short of a hardware mod, the best Wii output available is component cables. If you need to connect that to HDMI, people generally think a (powered) component-HDMI converter is better than one of those Wii2HDMI devices like the one you linked.

That said, the Wii HDMI sticks are sometimes ok (and sometimes awful), I've just never seen one look as good as native component output.

lostone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have always liked the component output for best picture. I just recently tried one of the Wii2HDMI and found, as fvig2001 mentioned, a noisy signal. It works, but doesn't look great. I was disappointed enough that I didn't get a second one but may keep looking.

I would mention a good quality composite video cables look surprisingly good (but I make my own cables) I'm not sure how to work that in with the wii's AV jack but it may be possible just remember only as good as the weakest link... The stock adapter uses shitty cables. If you go composite you're stuck @480i, component you can run 480p which does help PQ.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Component all the way. See comparisons on YT between component output vs those cheap HDMI plugs for the Wii.

Ferris1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is nothing like a crt converter, crt stands for cathode ray tube.
CRTs are drawing 480/576 lines (depending on the region (NTSC/PAL)).

The issue with old consoles on LCD TVs is the lack of anti analyzing in the console which wasn’t required with CRT TVs/Monitors because of the scan lines and that how analog TVs works.

if you want a clean picture you have to simulate scan lines for the amount of missing informations to fill the screen, then you’ll have a nice clean image with a grid.

upscaling might work with digital resolutions like 1080p to 2160p but not with analog signals that depends on scan lines, you’ll always get some kinda crap image.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you want a clean picture you have to simulate scan lines for the amount of missing informations to fill the screen, then you’ll have a nice clean image with a grid.

upscaling might work with digital resolutions like 1080p to 2160p but not with analog signals that depends on scan lines, you’ll always get some kinda crap image.
This is wrong.

Scanlines just obstruct your view of the full pixel (480p) output that Wii is capable of. They can have a smoothing effect visually so you don't notice poor detail as easily, but they certainly don't make an image "clean." Scanlines are an inherent attribute of interlaced resolutions, but some retro gaming software likes to simulate them to recreate the experience, even when displayed in a progressive resolution like 480p.

Progressive versus interlaced is also completely different from analog versus digital. The Wii's component output is an analog format, with 480p resolution.

Askot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What about gbs control? It looks clearer and softer on LCD tv
But needs some DIY parts and it's cheaper than any other scaler.
That's my personal opinion.

renatotec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I mean, that Wii2Hdmi provides a noisy hdmi signal (it looks weird on some TVs). It will work for most TVs but some TVs hate it in my experience. Traditionally, people use those really expensive upscalers. I've tried out the mCable on the hdmi and it doesn't really help much.

For CRT, why not just use a component to VGA cable or just the composite cable? With a component/composite->HDMI->CRT, you're going analog->digital->analog where conversion loses clarity and muddles up the picture.
I bought a "wii to hdmi" from mayflash that has zero noise, I strongly recommend

Draxikor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Component cable (the best is the HD retrovision) is the best option, if your tv don't have that input get the Portta conversor.
The best CRT tvs for the Wii are the EDTV the ones capable of 480p progressive scan.
Still many Wii games have small text and is harder to read it on CRT, also some games are 16:9 only and in crt the image is too small.

Reactions: Hayato213

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm sleepy good night