Wii has no signal and does not respond

VictoriaValentine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I will still keep tabs on my Wii, though. It is possible this is one of those "Lucky" moments where it does decide to work, but only for some amount of time (Like a week to a month and then it returns to a black screen again like before). Next time it happens (hopefully it stays away), I will say so in this thread. I am uncertain if I can call this "Fixed" yet. Thanks for all your help! If there's anything else I can do, I'd be happy to try it out.

• Love
Reactions: Alexander1970

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this will not help you with your problem, but you can post a syscheck to see if your softmods are up to date. I would try with another tv since you've said the tv made a popping sound, and the Wii stays ON with green light.

VictoriaValentine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I know this will not help you with your problem, but you can post a syscheck to see if your softmods are up to date. I would try with another tv since you've said the tv made a popping sound, and the Wii stays ON with green light.
I will try the syscheck tommorow and post it here! About that popping noise, It's not a TV defect, it randomly happens, and it comes from the Wii AV cables. My TV interprets it as audio, likely the Wii trying to output something through the cables or sending electricity over it. I'm unsure what triggers it though. Whenever it happens, the next time I boot up the Wii it works perfectly.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will try the syscheck tommorow and post it here! About that popping noise, It's not a TV defect, it randomly happens, and it comes from the Wii AV cables. My TV interprets it as audio, likely the Wii trying to output something through the cables or sending electricity over it. I'm unsure what triggers it though. Whenever it happens, the next time I boot up the Wii it works perfectly.
Could be something the AV port connector on the Wii is failing ? Explains why the Wii stays ON with green lights, and it needs to be replaced. You can also inspect it visually with a flashlight for any misaligned pins that could be shorting the system.

VictoriaValentine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Could be something the AV port connector on the Wii is failing ? Explains why the Wii stays ON with green lights, and it needs to be replaced. You can also inspect it visually with a flashlight for any misaligned pins that could be shorting the system.
I don't think it's the AV port failing, as with the black screen, I cannot connect my Wiimotes. Yet I can use them to turn the Wii on.

VictoriaValentine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello again! Day 2, and the Wii works perfectly, so I decided to reassemble it.
I decided to do a syscheck, and this is the result. (I had to put it in a .zip file)

Attachments

• sysCheck.zip
    809 bytes · Views: 50

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello again! Day 2, and the Wii works perfectly, so I decided to reassemble it.

I decided to do a syscheck, and this is the result. (I had to put it in a .zip file)
Your cIOSs look outdated, you can use @XFlak 's ModMii to update them, just drag & drop the syscheck file into ModMii, it will tell you what to update.

VictoriaValentine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello again! So I return with bad news. Turns out I didn't fix it at all, as I sort of already expected back when I last posted here. I am non the wiser of why or what causes this and I've been messing around with it all day to try to make it work. I tried switching video cables, resetting the power supply over and over again, turning it on and off over and over again.... Putting a large fan next to it to cool it off.... (Yes, I tried everything I could without opening it up, atleast for now)
And just as I was about to give up, it turned on again. Very confusing and frustrating. So, considering I forgot, I will upgrade the CIOS's, and if it ever does this again, I'll open it up and do the same thing again as suggested near the beginning of this thread.
Yeah, I could just buy a new one, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this mystery.
Does anyone have any new ideas I could try?

VictoriaValentine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Please check the voltage regulator like in this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/transfer-broken-wii-content-to-another-wii.604111/

I'd like to know if this special fault occurs more often.

If hardware related, I would doubt Nintendont can cause this. More likely hardware aging.
Hello everyone! My Wii seems to be as dead again, so I decided to take the opportunity to open it up, and check the U4 chip again. And, turns out the U4 chip is dead. It gets 3,3v in pin1, but pin3 shows 0,1v. So Kleines was right from the beginning. I cannot say as to why it likes being undead from time to time (suddenly deciding to work) which is what made all this frustrating, but it's definitely faulty.

VictoriaValentine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello again everyone!
I wanted to apologize deeply, it's been two months since I fixed my Wii, and have yet to update you all about it. Let me walk you through how I fixed it from the beginning.

Beginning
In 2019 my Wii started acting... "Odd", at times it would give a black screen instead of the usual Wii screen, at first I thought nothing of it, perhaps i put in the video cable wrong, or have a faulty outlet brick. After a few restarts it would usually work again, but as time went on it became worse. Fast forward to early this year (2022) and my Wii seemed to be at the end of its life. So I did some research, found absolutely nothing except others having the same issue.

Start of this post
So I made this post, hoping for others to know he answer. Short answer, this problem is very mysterious and nobody really knows what causes it. But then @KleinesSinchen came along with this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-has-no-signal-and-does-not-respond.609725/post-9782792 response which caused me to read it, and became curious as well. I opened up my Wii (Which I already did before, thinking it was the Wifi or Bluetooth module- nope.) and used a multimeter to check the voltage.

Annoying Wii
Low and behold, it was still 3.3V in, 1.8V out. I got confused and gave up, then for funsies plugged it on my TV again. Just for it to work again. My Wii did this alot, suddenly coming back from the dead, which might sound great, but made this process very annoying considering it would die a month, a week, or even a day later. I decided to leave it be for a few months again, and in the summer I took another try as it wasn't working again. NOW THIS TIME, it showed me 3.3V in, 0.01V out, aka the LDO was dead. Hooray, problem found.

Preparations
Looking at https://gbatemp.net/threads/transfer-broken-wii-content-to-another-wii.604111/post-9693780
And https://gbatemp.net/threads/transfer-broken-wii-content-to-another-wii.604111/post-9694532
I thought about a plan. I am far from being good at fixing hardware, so I had to research a lot about what an "VIN, VOUT, GND" actually is. To help me find out which goes where I made a few pictures using information I found.

LDO.png

View attachment Motherboard2.jpg

I noticed in the first picture, the picture of @botfixer that he didn't show where his Ground In goes to, so at first I assumed (wrongly) that it was not needed.

Materials
But before I was able to do this whole process I needed parts. I found this at first: https://www.yoycart.com/Product/542574642188/ but didn't order it as well, they want your ID number, which is always a red flag. So I decided with an the same MP1584 @botfixer used. ( https://www.ebay.nl/itm/133489723575?var=432947700851 ) for the resistor I decided for a Metal 0,25W 47K Ohm 1% resistor considering the 47K matched the same color as @botfixer 's and metal due to temperature concerns.

Finally fixing the wii
Having every material I need, it was finally time to fix the Wii. With the help of someone else, we desoldered the old LDO, cleaned it up and managed on this:

IMG_20220911_191959631_HDR.jpg

I'll explain to you what you are looking at here.
Before I continue with the voltage stuff, MAKE SURE TO CHANGE THE VOLTAGE OUT TO 1.8V with the built on tweaker before connecting the chip to anything in your Wii. If the Wii can not work with less than 1.8V, imagine what could happen if you gave it too much voltage, I assume you can then say goodbye to your Wii. Checking if the voltage is right requires a adjustable power source to check if you do not have it already. Be sure to not put the wires and such in places where it might be in the way of screws or other parts as that could cause more problems.

When it comes to voltage:
The Ground out and Voltage out are in the same place as @botfixer 's, which might not require much explaination except that those are the same places the original LDO outputs to.

The resistor was tricky, the MP1584 chip has another chip in its place which can be difficult to get rid of. I apologize for the poor picture, the camera I took it with back then wasn't that great in general. It is the same as @botfixer 's so you could take inspiration from there.

For the input, the right red line is the Voltage in. 12V to be exact:
IMG_20220911_151644241_HDR.jpg

See the where the Red pin is inserted? Every one of those holes outputs (more or less) 12V. Take note of the 4 pinned chip next to it, that's where you must look.
For the Ground in, you may simply use the gold plates at the sides as they are all ground.

Finished!
If everything goes right, your Wii should now work just as if your LDO was never broken. If not then you made a mistake somewhere, use my pictures as reference if you wish.
Hooraaaay! Problem finally solved! I hope this helps everyone.

But why did this happen? (Theories)

Heat
Now this is still a mystery considering I do not speak the language of the computer chips, but I do have some theories. Doing some research the first few models output an excessive amount of heat, and do you see where the LDO is?... Right next to the CPU heatsink, it's simply possible that the early models in specific are killing off their own LDO's with heat.

RVL-CPU-20
Now this one I have less evidence for, but if you take a look at @botfixer 's pictures, you can match it to a RVL-CPU-20 just like mine. Is this motherboard cursed? Does it have some hardware flaw? The only way we can confirm this is seeing motherboards of the ones with the same issue.

Conclusion
This might sound dramatic, but it was a long (and confusing) journey which not only fixed my Wii but gave me more insight into the hardware. I want to thank everyone in this thread, especially @KleinesSinchen for his insight, ideas, and thought alongside, and linked me to the thread which helped me A TON. Thanks to @botfixer for making this thread in the first place, using his previous experience to create a way to revive Wii's suffering from this problem.

Thanks to you all, I can now play my copy of Mario Kart Wii in peace.

Last edited by VictoriaValentine,

nicoy3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am new to the Wii scene but I have a similar issue but it has happened to two consecutives Wiis in short succession, both while playing gamecube games via nintendont... I have a third Wii on the way to see if it happens again...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass