Hacking wii hacking?

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah im new to the wii hacking i dont care if getting a wii now is considered pointless or not

im getting a wii preowned at a local gamestore in a week and i have a few questions

#1: if i read right if it is on 4.2 i think i dont need any of the games to hack it i can install bannerbomb right? can i get the details? i wanna be 200% prepared for when i start working on hacking it.

#2: is there an equivlancy to a brick for the wii like there is for the psp?

#3: (i'll probably buy it anyway) but can i just burn metroid prime trilogy to a dvd and play like this i remember people having to use .dol's to boot the games was this ever fixed in an update?

#4: what wii's can play back up dvd's i know the launch whites can but what others can i also know the red wii's can't

#5: what games to you recommend for a new wii owner?

if i think of other things i'll ask then

also once i start working on my wii i will bring this thread up for help as i go

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ModMii will help you a lot with initial modding. Also, I think the Wiibrew wiki will help as well for general information.

Only white Wii's made some time before 2009 I believe can run backup disks. Not 100% sure on the date, but Wiibrew will help out with clarifying.

As for what games, Mario Kart Wii is a must.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. No, you don't need a game for 4.2, just Bannerbomb
2. Yes, bricking Wiis can happen a number of ways
3. First off, the Trilogy is Dual Layer so you need a Dual Layer DVD. I don't know what the problems are though.
4. Black Wii's or Wiis with L64 in their serial nmbers can't play backup DVDs
5. Super Smash Bros Brawl,Phantom Brave: We Meet Again, Monster Hunter Tri, Super Mario Galaxy 1+2, The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess (I didn't like it, but you might), Bleach vs. Crusade (Best. Bleach game. Ever.).

DarkShinigami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BenRK said:
ModMii will help you a lot with initial modding. Also, I think the Wiibrew wiki will help as well for general information.

Only white Wii's made some time before 2009 I believe can run backup disks. Not 100% sure on the date, but Wiibrew will help out with clarifying.

As for what games, Mario Kart Wii is a must.
ahh rubbish i like mario kart but it dont hold me interest long enough and what about my MPT? and one mor i just remember if my wii is on 4.3 what game do you sugguest to hack it with? i know LoZ:TP WAS used but i think in an ios update ninty blocked that exploit if i remember correctly

QUOTE(machomuu @ Jun 29 2011, 11:25 PM) 1. No, you don't need a game for 4.2, just Bannerbomb
3. First off, the Trilogy is Dual Layer so you need a Dual Layer DVD. I don't know what the problems are though.
5. Super Smash Bros Brawl,Phantom Brave: We Meet Again, Monster Hunter Tri

i know MPT is a DL game but i still call all blank dvds blank dvds

if i read correctly it had an error when you chose a game and thus you had to us boot.dol method.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkShinigami said:
machomuu said:
1. No, you don't need a game for 4.2, just Bannerbomb
5. Super Smash Bros Brawl,Phantom Brave: We Meet Again, Monster Hunter Tri

i know MPT is a DL game but i still call all blank dvds blank dvds

if i read correctly it had an error when you chose a game and thus you had to us boot.dol method.

I wasn't saying you didn't know, just making sure since you're new to the Wii hacking scene.

Also
The following is in reference to Metroid Prime Trilogy:
For USB loaders, easiest way is:

1) Insert the Disc and launch NeoGamma R7/USB Loader and launch game without alt. dol and create a save file

2) Turn the 002 Fix and alt. dol on and select the .dol from discs, if you want to play a game, you select its .dol so:
a) rs5mp1_p.dol = Metroid Prime 1
b) rs5mp2_p.dol = Metroid Prime 2
c) rs5mp3_p.dol = Metroid Prime 3

3) Select the .dol for the game you want to play, the game will launch directly and will not load the trilogy menu.

Seriously though, get Bleach vs. Crusade.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you upgrade to 4.3, then you should get Super Smash Bros Brawl for hacking with the upside that it's fun as well.

If you're worried about bricking your Wii, just install BootMii on Boot2 if at all possible as well as Priiloader. Make a NAND back up, and you're good to go.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
DarkShinigami said:
yeah im new to the wii hacking i dont care if getting a wii now is considered pointless or not
It's not pointless. Wii U won't come out for like a year, and that still won't mean the end of the Wii.
im getting a wii preowned at a local gamestore in a week and i have a few questions

#1: if i read right if it is on 4.2 i think i dont need any of the games to hack it i can install bannerbomb right? can i get the details? i wanna be 200% prepared for when i start working on hacking it.
As long as it is between 3.2 and 4.2, you can use Bannerbomb (v1 or v2). Your chances of getting anything below 3.2 are extremely rare, and you can use a game to update to something newer (but below 4.3) if needed.
#2: is there an equivlancy to a brick for the wii like there is for the psp?
There are lots of bricks for the Wii. Most can be fixed on your own if you have Priiloader. As long as you backup your NAND with bootmii, nothing besides hardware failure can brick your Wii beyond repair. Even if you don't have bootmii as boot2, a full brick can be fixed by paying someone around $50 to flash the NAND with that backup.
#3: (i'll probably buy it anyway) but can i just burn metroid prime trilogy to a dvd and play like this i remember people having to use .dol's to boot the games was this ever fixed in an update?
Getting a Wii that can read burned discs isn't too likely, even though it's used. It's been nearly 2 years since they started using drive chips that prevent that. MPT can be loaded normally now with the latest d2x cIOS, but if you are going to play the disc, stick with the retail. Burned discs wear down on your lens, and you are getting a used Wii, which increases the risk of the drive crapping out on you.
#4: what wii's can play back up dvd's i know the launch whites can but what others can i also know the red wii's can't
The first documented cases of D3-2/D4 drive chips (which won't allow burned discs or DVD movies) are in September 2009. Any Wii made since then won't work.
#5: what games to you recommend for a new wii owner?
Metroid Prime Trilogy (if you like awesome), The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The Conduit (if you like FPS), Super Smash Bros Brawl (if you like casual multiplayer), and Monster Hunter Tri. You should look up trailers/reviews on those games if you don't know much about them.
if i think of other things i'll ask then

also once i start working on my wii i will bring this thread up for help as i go

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you are getting a used wii, try to get an old one. Have them find you one with a low SN that would support boot2 bootmii. Only older wiis will install bootmii into boot2, this makes the almost god like in terms of brick protection.

Have a look at the Boot2 compatible Wii serial number list

Other than that, have fun hacking the hell out of your wii.

I like-
Zelda
Mario Kart
All mario games
All COD games
To many to name. Lately I have been playing Monster Hunter tri, it is fun if you like that sort of thing.

DarkShinigami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i guess this a sort of relevance i found MPT on ebay for 62 dollard on ebay with shippin should i take the offer considering how rare it is?

i can get it at a local game store for 70 but if i throw an extra dollar or 2 it will include a 1 year warranty meaning if my cd dont work on wear and tear no breakage scratches only they will replace it or order a copy from a local game store for me to switch with when it arrives.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
DarkShinigami said:
well i guess this a sort of relevance i found MPT on ebay for 62 dollard on ebay with shippin should i take the offer considering how rare it is?

i can get it at a local game store for 70 but if i throw an extra dollar or 2 it will include a 1 year warranty meaning if my cd dont work on wear and tear no breakage scratches only they will replace it or order a copy from a local game store for me to switch with when it arrives.
HOLY CRAP! I thought for sure you were wrong, but I looked up the prices and it is so expensive! I bought the game when it first came out for $50! Now a used copy at gamestop is more expensive!

DarkShinigami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
DarkShinigami said:

HOLY CRAP! I thought for sure you were wrong, but I looked up the prices and it is so expensive! I bought the game when it first came out for $50! Now a used copy at gamestop is more expensive!
i know but that is one om the major motives for the wii besides galaxy,brawl, and anything else i consider a must have based on gameplay vids

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
DarkShinigami said:
i know but that is one om the major motives for the wii besides galaxy,brawl, and anything else i consider a must have based on gameplay vids
I didn't think that prices ever went up for new games at a local store like gamestop though. Big games will stay the same price for a long time (LoZ:TP was still $50 until a few months ago), but this is the first time I've seen a game increase in price.

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
MPT hasn't gotten any more expensive here in Germany, but we had a lot less awesome packaging for the game to begin with
wink.gif
. And I'm not sure if it is out of print in Europe, I can find it in every gameshop new here. But it could also be that nobody except me bought it here and everybody still has inventory. I'd offer to buy and send it to you, but as it is a Nintendo game it did not get marked so still costs 50€, which should be a bit more than 60$, and shipping would come additional to that. And I'm not 100% sure if you can play it without having a TV that understands PAL. But the only game I know of that Nintendo did not put NTSC video data onto was the Wii port of Pikmin 2, which never came out in the US.

By the way, how much Japanese is required to play Bleach: Versus Crusade, as it only came out in Japan? I don't know nothing about Bleach but that game is from Treasure, one of my most beloved game makers.

As for Wii games to get, I'd like to add some lesser know gems I like nobody mentioned yet:

Pikmin - Kind of Miyamoto's take on the RTS genre, it oozes charme from every pore, but gets difficult after about a third of the game. I'd recommend the improved sequel because it does not have the strict time limit, but as said above the is no NTSC-U version of it. If you like cows better than plant thingies, Little King's Story is a pretty similar game, but it doesn't use the Wii pointer function which is a bit strange.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade - One of the most beautiful 2D games I've ever seen, set in feudal Japan, made by Vanillaware of Odin Sphere fame. A bit hard to classify gameplaywise. There are lot's of different Katanas of which you can equip 3 to switch between. Every Katana has a special power, but using them uses up the Katana's "Soul Gauge". That is also used up when you block attacks, and if all of it is gone the blade brakes and doesn't do much damage any more and is unable to block. The fighting system is a bit tricky to wrap you head around, it is recommended to uses the easier of the 2 diffifulties on first playthrough. Best played with a Classic Controller (or GC pad).

Tatsunoko vs Capcom - A typical Capcom 2D fighting game from the versus series (see Marvel vs Capcom). If you like the Street Fighter games, you'll probably like this. Classic controller recommended.

House of the Dead: Overkill - In my oppinion the best lightgun shooter on Wii, mostly because of the humor. Typical House of the Dead game with a Grindhouse theme going on.

EDIT: I just recalled that I heard that MPT should now run properly in the CFG USB Loader, but I hadn't had the time (and space on my Wii USB disc) to try that out. Maybe during the weekend.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.