wii hacking?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DarkShinigami, Jun 30, 2011.

Jun 30, 2011

wii hacking? by DarkShinigami at 4:17 AM (898 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. DarkShinigami
    OP

Member DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

United States
    yeah im new to the wii hacking i dont care if getting a wii now is considered pointless or not

im getting a wii preowned at a local gamestore in a week and i have a few questions

#1: if i read right if it is on 4.2 i think i dont need any of the games to hack it i can install bannerbomb right? can i get the details? i wanna be 200% prepared for when i start working on hacking it.

#2: is there an equivlancy to a brick for the wii like there is for the psp?

#3: (i'll probably buy it anyway) but can i just burn metroid prime trilogy to a dvd and play like this i remember people having to use .dol's to boot the games was this ever fixed in an update?

#4: what wii's can play back up dvd's i know the launch whites can but what others can i also know the red wii's can't

#5: what games to you recommend for a new wii owner?

if i think of other things i'll ask then

also once i start working on my wii i will bring this thread up for help as i go

2. BenRK

Member BenRK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    ModMii will help you a lot with initial modding. Also, I think the Wiibrew wiki will help as well for general information.

Only white Wii's made some time before 2009 I believe can run backup disks. Not 100% sure on the date, but Wiibrew will help out with clarifying.

As for what games, Mario Kart Wii is a must.

3. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    1. No, you don't need a game for 4.2, just Bannerbomb
    2. Yes, bricking Wiis can happen a number of ways
    3. First off, the Trilogy is Dual Layer so you need a Dual Layer DVD. I don't know what the problems are though.
    4. Black Wii's or Wiis with L64 in their serial nmbers can't play backup DVDs
    5. Super Smash Bros Brawl,Phantom Brave: We Meet Again, Monster Hunter Tri, Super Mario Galaxy 1+2, The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess (I didn't like it, but you might), Bleach vs. Crusade (Best. Bleach game. Ever.).

4. DarkShinigami
    OP

United States
    i know MPT is a DL game but i still call all blank dvds blank dvds

if i read correctly it had an error when you chose a game and thus you had to us boot.dol method.

5. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Seriously though, get Bleach vs. Crusade.

6. BenRK

Member BenRK GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you upgrade to 4.3, then you should get Super Smash Bros Brawl for hacking with the upside that it's fun as well.

If you're worried about bricking your Wii, just install BootMii on Boot2 if at all possible as well as Priiloader. Make a NAND back up, and you're good to go.

7. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States

8. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    If you are getting a used wii, try to get an old one. Have them find you one with a low SN that would support boot2 bootmii. Only older wiis will install bootmii into boot2, this makes the almost god like in terms of brick protection.

Have a look at the Boot2 compatible Wii serial number list

Other than that, have fun hacking the hell out of your wii.

I like-
    Zelda
    Mario Kart
    All mario games
    All COD games
    To many to name. Lately I have been playing Monster Hunter tri, it is fun if you like that sort of thing.

9. DarkShinigami
    OP

United States
    well i guess this a sort of relevance i found MPT on ebay for 62 dollard on ebay with shippin should i take the offer considering how rare it is?

i can get it at a local game store for 70 but if i throw an extra dollar or 2 it will include a 1 year warranty meaning if my cd dont work on wear and tear no breakage scratches only they will replace it or order a copy from a local game store for me to switch with when it arrives.

10. JoostinOnline

United States
    HOLY CRAP! I thought for sure you were wrong, but I looked up the prices and it is so expensive! I bought the game when it first came out for $50! Now a used copy at gamestop is more expensive!

11. DarkShinigami
    OP

United States
    i know but that is one om the major motives for the wii besides galaxy,brawl, and anything else i consider a must have based on gameplay vids

12. JoostinOnline

United States
    I didn't think that prices ever went up for new games at a local store like gamestop though. Big games will stay the same price for a long time (LoZ:TP was still $50 until a few months ago), but this is the first time I've seen a game increase in price.

13. Gabelvampir

Member Gabelvampir Free Mars!

Germany
    MPT hasn't gotten any more expensive here in Germany, but we had a lot less awesome packaging for the game to begin with [​IMG]. And I'm not sure if it is out of print in Europe, I can find it in every gameshop new here. But it could also be that nobody except me bought it here and everybody still has inventory. I'd offer to buy and send it to you, but as it is a Nintendo game it did not get marked so still costs 50€, which should be a bit more than 60$, and shipping would come additional to that. And I'm not 100% sure if you can play it without having a TV that understands PAL. But the only game I know of that Nintendo did not put NTSC video data onto was the Wii port of Pikmin 2, which never came out in the US.

By the way, how much Japanese is required to play Bleach: Versus Crusade, as it only came out in Japan? I don't know nothing about Bleach but that game is from Treasure, one of my most beloved game makers.

As for Wii games to get, I'd like to add some lesser know gems I like nobody mentioned yet:

Pikmin - Kind of Miyamoto's take on the RTS genre, it oozes charme from every pore, but gets difficult after about a third of the game. I'd recommend the improved sequel because it does not have the strict time limit, but as said above the is no NTSC-U version of it. If you like cows better than plant thingies, Little King's Story is a pretty similar game, but it doesn't use the Wii pointer function which is a bit strange.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade - One of the most beautiful 2D games I've ever seen, set in feudal Japan, made by Vanillaware of Odin Sphere fame. A bit hard to classify gameplaywise. There are lot's of different Katanas of which you can equip 3 to switch between. Every Katana has a special power, but using them uses up the Katana's "Soul Gauge". That is also used up when you block attacks, and if all of it is gone the blade brakes and doesn't do much damage any more and is unable to block. The fighting system is a bit tricky to wrap you head around, it is recommended to uses the easier of the 2 diffifulties on first playthrough. Best played with a Classic Controller (or GC pad).

Tatsunoko vs Capcom - A typical Capcom 2D fighting game from the versus series (see Marvel vs Capcom). If you like the Street Fighter games, you'll probably like this. Classic controller recommended.

House of the Dead: Overkill - In my oppinion the best lightgun shooter on Wii, mostly because of the humor. Typical House of the Dead game with a Grindhouse theme going on.

EDIT: I just recalled that I heard that MPT should now run properly in the CFG USB Loader, but I hadn't had the time (and space on my Wii USB disc) to try that out. Maybe during the weekend.