Hacking Wii hacking - Sd card

Philip320

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi there! I have been doing for quite some time now on trying to hack my wii u but it has not gone so well, I found out that the SDHC does not work, it was after I bought one with 16GB, it was 100% wrong, I heard that you should not have the SDHC card and 2GB or less, but it's a little hard to find 2 GB, so I was wondering if you could format a 4 GB to 2 GB?

EDIT:
Which sd card would you recommend for this if it does not work reformatting 4-2 GB?

Thank you :>

JVC2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to get a 2GB SD card or less to install homebrew,there is no other way,after that you can use any SD card.

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
\The whole, "Can't use an SD card over 2GB" is an oversimplification of what's actually going on. SD cards by default are formatted to FAT16. Original SD cards were designed with 2GB as their max limit... Then a new standard came out with a 32GB limit called SDHC. (High-capacity). These cards are formatted to FAT32.

The size a particular card is formatted to is not something that would usually affect compatibility unless the hardware specifically has a cap. Generally, it's a matter of whether the format is supported or not. The Wii and Wii U are capable of reading SDHC cards for other things, so this means we've narrowed down the actually reason to two possibilities (that I can think of):
1) There is a vulnerability in SD cards that was fixed with SDHC cards, and the hacks make use of this exploit.
2) The hacks only work on FAT16 formatting.

This is where my knowledge stops. Without knowing the technical details on how the hack works, I can't really say exactly why it only works with one and not the other. However, if the second option is a possibility... That means in theory you could find a third party tool to reformat your SDHC card to FAT16 and give it a try. (Google it; there are tools out there.) I'd be curious to know your results, as I haven't heard of anyone attempting this.

Reactions: Mr. Mysterio

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
\The whole, "Can't use an SD card over 2GB" is an oversimplification of what's actually going on. SD cards by default are formatted to FAT16. Original SD cards were designed with 2GB as their max limit... Then a new standard came out with a 32GB limit called SDHC. (High-capacity). These cards are formatted to FAT32.

The size a particular card is formatted to is not something that would usually affect compatibility unless the hardware specifically has a cap. Generally, it's a matter of whether the format is supported or not. The Wii and Wii U are capable of reading SDHC cards for other things, so this means we've narrowed down the actually reason to two possibilities (that I can think of):
1) There is a vulnerability in SD cards that was fixed with SDHC cards, and the hacks make use of this exploit.
2) The hacks only work on FAT16 formatting.

This is where my knowledge stops. Without knowing the technical details on how the hack works, I can't really say exactly why it only works with one and not the other. However, if the second option is a possibility... That means in theory you could find a third party tool to reformat your SDHC card to FAT16 and give it a try. (Google it; there are tools out there.) I'd be curious to know your results, as I haven't heard of anyone attempting this.

I've done this many times before. My digital camera only supports regular SD cards (non SDHC). Several years ago, I though of that exact same idea! I made a C program to write a FAT16 header to an SDHC card. It did work, but the new card, was limited to 2GB. (Even though it had 8GB.)

Attached is my program to make an SDHC card into a 2GB regular SD card.

Instructions:
1: Open makefat16.zip and run makefat16.exe
2: Type the letter of the drive to format.
3: Check the properties of the drive in My Computer. It should show a 2GB FAT16 drive!

(I have not tested this with the Wii U game exploits, but I agree with TehCupcakes that it should work.)

Attachments

• makefat16.zip
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,399

Philip320

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I've done this many times before. My digital camera only supports regular SD cards (non SDHC). Several years ago, I though of that exact same idea! I made a C program to write a FAT16 header to an SDHC card. It did work, but the new card, was limited to 2GB. (Even though it had 8GB.)

Attached is my program to make an SDHC card into a 2GB regular SD card.

Instructions:
1: Open makefat16.zip and run makefat16.exe
2: Type the letter of the drive to format.
3: Check the properties of the drive in My Computer. It should show a 2GB FAT16 drive!

(I have not tested this with the Wii U game exploits, but I agree with TehCupcakes that it should work.)

Should I format my SDHC card?

'EDIT:
I found a 2GB SDHC, But I did not buy it because it's SDHC

Philip320

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I just tried this, it was

savezelda v1.1 (segher@interesting-times)
Copyright 2008,2009 segher Boessenkool
Copyright 2008 Haxx Enterprises
Copyright 2008 Hector Martin ("marcan")
Copyright 2003, 2004 Felix Domke

This code is licensed to you under the terms of the GNU GPL , version 2; see the file COPYING

Font and graphics by Freddy Leitner

Cleaning up environment...
OK.
SD card not found (-1056964604)
USBGecko not found
No code found to load, hanging.

and yes, it is that there is a 1,8 GB sd card fat16 format

Reactions: Mr. Mysterio

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
with a 1gb sd card you wont miss your shot!.. not that 4gb cant work, but with a 1gb SDcard it will work for sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: