Gaming Wii Games of the Month: May 2010

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you haven't noticed my trend, I post these threads around 10 days to one week before the next month. Just so you can discuss all the games before the month (maybe even during
tongue.gif
) and then continue discussion on the release threads. YEAH STRATEGY.

This is arguably the best Wii month this year, outside of maybe June or whenever Zelda gets released. This is a huge amount of awesome titles.

You can read the DS version of this thread right here

Some rules and stuff.
- No flaming. If I list a game you don't like, too bad. If I don't, too bad.
- This is mainly North American releases, sorry. I'll, on occasion, do a European or Japanese release if it's big enough and not already out in America.
- If a game is already released in English and is being released again for another region, I won't bother adding it. Like say if Super Mario Galaxy 2 was out in America in April (it won't) and it came out in May in Europe, I won't list it for May. I'll also do the same if a game was released in English (aka Europe or America) and is being released in Japan.
- I get my dates from GameFaqs, Wikipedia, and IGN, so if a date is wrong don't blame me. You can, of course, point it out and ask me to fix it if you have the right date.

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Developed by: Nintendo EAD
Published by: Nintendo
Release date: May 23rd (America), May 27th (Japan)
Genre: Platformer
My Hype Level: Never heard of it
GBAtemp Hype Level: Shovelware

Super-Mario-Galaxy-2_WII_US_ESRBboxart_160h.jpg

Never heard of this game, character, or series. Must be really obscure.

Well, in all reality, it would be hard and actually be talented if they could make this game bad. Even if it's half as good as the first game, it still beats most games and still would qualify as "good". This game will probably be a pleaser and is one of the great things to come out of this new generation.

Tetris Party Deluxe

Developed by: Hudson Soft/Tetris Online, Inc.
Published by: Majesco
Release date: May 25th
Genre: Puzzle
My Hype Level: The first one was awesome
GBAtemp Hype Level: Vaguely remembering this...

TetrisPartyDeluxe_Pakage-Front_Wiiboxart_160h.jpg

Just a note, this is a full retail game, not WiiWare. The box art kinda shows that. Anyway, as I said in the DS thread, the first Tetris Party is awesome, and being this is the console sequel to the first one, I'm really looking forward to this. You can totally hit me up for some maaaaad Tetris games!

Samurai Warriors 3

Developed by: Omega Force
Published by: Koei
Release date: May 28th (Europe)
Genre: Hack and slash
My Hype Level: The Japanese version was awesome
GBAtemp Hype Level: Meh

954366_113924_front.jpg

That's the Japanese cover. Couldn't find the European one.

Anyway, Samurai/Dynasty Warriors is a guilty pleasure of mine. It's repetitive, it's senseless, but goddamn it's fun. Just wiping out hordes of helpless bad guys is just awesome in some way. It's hard to explain. It's not for everyone, but the Wii version is pretty good. If you like the games you'll like this.

Trackmania Wii

Developed by: Firebird/Nadeo
Published by: Dreamcatcher interactive
Release date: May 17th
Genre: Racing
My Hype Level: Not my kind of game.
GBAtemp Hype Level: Yay Trackmania!

288892.trackmania-wii-per-wii.not_so_big.jpg

Again, not the cover art. Couldn't find any.

I've tried Trackmania, both on the PC and DS, and I haven't been too fond of either of them. It's just not my type of racing. I prefer that bumper-to-bumper stuff, not really just time trials. But some people do love it, and the Wii version is looking good, I guess.

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Developed by: Ubisoft Quebec City
Published by: Ubisoft
Release date: May 18th (America), May 20th (Australia), May 21st (Europe)
Genre: Platformer/Action
My Hype Level: Pretty high, actually
GBAtemp Hype Level: Skeptic

Prince-of-Persia-Forgotten-Sands_WII_US_ESRBboxart_160h.jpg

The Wii version has been getting a surprising amount of attention, from both press and Ubisoft. With exclusive content and features, it's looking pretty solid. Still, we don't know what to expect. Will it be a waggle-ridden mess? Will it be a great return to Prince of Persia? We don't really know, but gameplay vids and stuff seem pretty good.

Trauma Team

Developed by: Atlus
Published by: Atlus
Release date: May 18th
Genre: Medical sim
My Hype Level: Meh, the series has been alright...
GBAtemp Hype Level: IDK

traumateam_wii_esrbboxart_160h.jpg

I don't know. I've played Trauma Center on the DS but I've found some of the operations to be bogus hard. Maybe I just suck at it. Well, Trauma Team is a little different but should still please fans of the series, so keep a look out. Seems like there's a lot of cleavage in this one too
smileipb2.png

Other titles

- Attack of the Movies 3D: 5/18
- Sin and Punishment: Star Successor: 5/7 (Europe) (pushed back?)
- Red Steel 2: 5/27 (Japan)
- No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle: 5/27 (Australia), 5/28 (Europe)
- Iron Man 2: 5/4

Overall Summary

The biggest month of the year? Super Mario Galaxy is, well, huge, on top of a promising Prince of Persia game, another Tetris Party, the popular Trauma Team, and a localization of Sengoku Musou 3? Hell yes! Oh, and there's Trackmania, which may be promising.

June may best May, though. The big headliner is Arc Rise: Fantasia, not to mention the new Transformers game, and the super hyped Xenoblade. Yeah. Get ready for a filled hard drive, people!

Have a nice May!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trackmania Wii. Yes
Trauma Team. Yes, might even buy it.
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands. Will want to play but will be busy with other games.
Super Mario Galaxy 2. Already buying it, if it leaks early then I'll probably give in and download it and then wait for a fix but still it'll be playable before the PAL version is released.

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor needs a better write up, come on man! Very good game, finished the Japan release and might buy it eventually.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaydrian said:
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor needs a better write up, come on man! Very good game, finished the Japan release and might buy it eventually.

I did a write-up for April on S&P2 I think it got pushed back a month. Here was the April write-up:

QUOTESin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies

Developed by: Treasure
Published by: Nintendo
Release date: April 16th (Europe)
Genre: Rail shooter
My Hype Level: This game is fucking amazing, but I already played the Japanese version
GBAtemp Hype Level: I'll assume the same

Sin-and-Punishment-Star-Successor_ESRB_USboxart_160h.jpg

First off, don't say "OH THAT'S THE WRONG TITLE FOR THE GAME" because it is the correct title, it's just the one for Europe. The US release doesn't come until June. The European release comes in April. So now Hadrian can shove his penis in your face. Also, don't say "OH THAT'S THE WRONG BOXART BECAUSE IT SAYS STAR SUCCESSOR" because I already know that, I just CBA to find a correctly sized European boxart.

Anyway, this game was fucking amazing. I gave it a 9.4/10 in my review, which I'm too lazy to dig up (find it in my links). But really, I already played the Japanese version and since the language barrier was incredibly thin, I don't see the point of playing it again. Still, it's a great game.

D

Deleted_171835

Hell, yeah! I can't wait for SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 to come out! I'll be pre-ordering.
Tetris Party looks okay. I would have expected it for WiiWare, though. I don't care for Trackmania Wii. Most of the Trackmania games sucks (imo).

June is going to be great too! METROID: OTHER M!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Antoni-YO! said:
If I had the money to hack my wii... I would get all of it. Haha

I hope you realize that hacking your Wii is free outside of getting a SD card (which pretty much everyone has). Well, unless you plan on buying blank DVD's or an external hard drive too. Paying for hacking services is complete fraud when it's incredibly easy to do by yourself.

Antoni-YO!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Guild McCommunist

Nah I got that. I have the homebrew channel and that's it. I want an external hard drive, because you can't download games with just an SD card unless it's homebrew.

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You could easily buy a 500-1000GB HDD for the price of SMG2 & Metroid though
wink.gif

Really looking forward to SMG2 & Metroid, i'll certainly get Trackmania (really fun on PC), Tetris, maybe even Samurai Warriors 3 and Prince of Persia...

Antoni-YO!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noONE said:
You could easily buy a 500-1000GB HDD for the price of SMG2 & Metroid though
wink.gif

Really looking forward to SMG2 & Metroid, i'll certainly get Trackmania (really fun on PC), Tetris, maybe even Samurai Warriors 3 and Prince of Persia...

Well that's hard core. I'll go ahead and get one then. Thanks.

I'm gonna rape SMG2.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
W00t! Trackmania!!!
yaywii.gif

I know it's hard to get used to (wtf...you can't even hit your opponents?
blink.gif
), but that very feature has some interesting consequences (no ping-raping!!!). At the very least, I'm curious to see how it'll handle on the wii.
smile.gif

SMG2 is also very nice, but...well, I already have a super mario galaxy game. And though it was original, fun, exciting and a real beauty, I never got around to finishing all but the necessary levels.
I'm just not that much into 3D platformers (I found it kinda strange that I liked NSMB better than SMG...even though the latter had flat out better graphics).

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Amazing, every game on that list is worth playing IMHO, just a wonderful month!
Trackmania is gonna be sweet, I loved the time trials on MK Wii, and Trackmania is like the epitome of timetrialing
smile.gif

And SMG 2, well that's just out of any league.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh
    ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too:rofl2:
    Oh god, I really am old. lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @SylverReZ, sup Sylv!
    +1
    Anyway, I gotta go to the store. L8er guys. Oops, I better put some clothes on :shy::tpi::rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Hey there Sickly.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Make sure the cops don't see that.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, Make sure the cops don't see that.