Wii Games (Homebrew Channel) & Wii U Games (eShop) on Same HDD?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by 878en6vEZbrnk4GC8XKi, Feb 8, 2014.

1. 878en6vEZbrnk4GC8XKi
    OP

878en6vEZbrnk4GC8XKi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2014
    Hi,

Have been reading here for ages without ever signing up and it's been really useful but I have a question that I've not been able to find an answer to anywhere so I've finally singed up and this is my first post.

Have got a Wii U and have now have a 500GB hdd connected to it and I was wondering if it is possible to also rip my Wii games onto the same hdd that I have eShop Wii U games running from or would I have to have two separate drives, one for each system?

It's 500GBs and I don't think I'll ever need that much for Wii U games and I don't have that many Wii games left so I was hoping that I'd be able to share the drive for both formats?

If I can't do what I was hoping would I maybe be able to use something like this with 3 or 4 SD cards in via USB for the Wii games? I'd assume that if I stuck a couple 32GB SD cards in there that it would recognise them as a 64GB USB drive which would be plenty for the Wii games that I have.

[​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. worm28

worm28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    Portland, Oregon
    Unfortunatly you cant use the same hdd for wii u/wii backups hope someone finds a way. Good luck with that adapter post if it works.

3. Fyrus

Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

Jul 6, 2010
    France
    Marseille - France
    Isn't it possible if you create 2 partitions on the HDD ? Not an expert on this but maybe someone could ...

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    WiiU drive format doesn't allow partitions at all.
    if there's a partition table, it will warn the user to format the drive entirely in WiiU format.

There's a way to fake the hard drive size to "hide" a partition at the end of the drive when using it on WiiU, but works only in GPT format, and you need to put it on your computer every time you want to hide/unhide the partition, and most (all?) Wii applications will not work as they are not checking the GPT backup partition table located at the end of the drive.

Theoretically, it's possible. Nobody will use this method as it's even more hassle than using two different drives.

5. 878en6vEZbrnk4GC8XKi
    OP

878en6vEZbrnk4GC8XKi Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2014
    Thanks all, wasn't expecting it to be possible but it was worth a try.

HAs anybody actually tried the SD card via USB on the Wii U as that would be big enough for me? The muti-SD adapters aren't cheap so I don't want to buy it as an experiment people already know it doesn't work.

I suppose if it does work with that then a normal multi-card reader like this could work as well if it just sees the cards as a USB drive?
    [​IMG]

6. worm28

worm28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    Portland, Oregon
    Sd card readers are known to work but dont count on it being able to read two cards at once.