Wii Gamecube Homebrew Launcher

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jbogart1973, Jul 30, 2011.

Jul 30, 2011
  1. jbogart1973
    OP

Member jbogart1973 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i heard there might be a way now to load GC roms and play them through the usb or sd card. can anyone comfirm ?

2. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    both are possible, but not without additional hardware...

check out swiss....but you'll need a SD Gecko...and compatibility is flaky
    or, get a wode....will allow you to play via USB....but it's slow

as of now, you can't play via front SD slot or USB ports on the console....DML may change that, but information concerning it's progress is lacking

3. jbogart1973
    OP

Member jbogart1973 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    so no go [​IMG] ok thanks
    can i use WiiKey for softmods by chance ?
    Whats the WODE called do u know??? i cant find anything but id like to at least try it .

4. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

5. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    The "Wii Gamecube Homebrew Launcher" can be used to run gamecube homebrew such as media players, Gecko OS for GC or Swiss to run on a Wii in GC mode. There are gamecube homebrew backup loaders, but they don't work on the Wii, because the drive is different, which is why backup discs with Swiss only work on a GC or if you have a modchip.

The 5 options for GC backups that i know are:
    WODE: Expensive, requires opening the console. Plays all games, but audio streaming is missing. Only option for usb HDD
    Swiss: Requires a SD-Gecko, slow, not 100% compatiblity, no audio streams
    DIOS MIOS light: No release date, might not be released at all, would play games from front sd card, no audio streaming
    NeoGamma: Requires a backup compatible(not chipped) drive and discs, 98% compatiblity, no audio streaming
    any good modchip: Requires discs, works perfect, plays audio streams unlike any other method

6. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    There is also USB Boot, but that requires a USB Gecko and doesn't work very well. I believe it was a POC project.

7. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    I read somewhere that wode does support audio streaming in flat mode aka running backups via disc.

8. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Ok this could be, but i doubt it. In flat mode, the WODE is accessing the drive the same way the cIOS is doing it, as video dvd. And the audio streaming requires special commands executed by the drive. Audio streaming is the drive sending the streams directly to the audio processor without involving the CPU or anything else. I just doubt the drive accpets the required commands for this in video dvd mode.

This doesn't mean i have to be right, i only explained why i think it's not possible. Ok, on the other hand, apparently there are just some wires missing and the WODE could play audio streams for games from usb HDD...