Wii/Gamecube Games on Wii U Gamepad

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Nintynuts, Sep 28, 2015.

?

Do you want to be able to play any (CC supporting) game on the Wii U Gamepad?

1. Hell Yeah! (Semi-)Portable Gamecube!

94.3%
  2. I don't play old games, but it sounds cool (and may draw me back)

1.4%
  3. Nope, give me a massive HD TV and Dolphin Emu.

1.4%
  4. I don't like Wii U/Wii/Gamecube and am looking at the wrong forum

2.9%
  1. Nintynuts
    OP

Nintynuts Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    England
    My question is whether anyone is looking into whether this is possible since Wii U now supports Classic Controller emulation using the GamePad in Wii Mode in both Sin & Punishment and Pandora's tower (which have both been released in all regions for a month now).

I've scoured the forums for some hint of news, but can't find anything.

I would guess that Nintendo are doing a special boot into vWii mode (as it has to use the internal Wii processors to run the games correctly). Is anyone able to dump out the system status when these games are being played or something? Maybe there's been an update to the IOSs that no-one's noticed?

My thought is that if we can boot standard vWii mode with this switched on, we get free gamepad (and maybe WUPC) support for anything with Classic Controller support, meaning wii, wiiware, vc and gamecube (using nintendon't) on the gamepad like a handheld.

2. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    They do the same thing with Wii VC, booting into vWii with special settings, just can't do much until we have the Starbuck Ancast key to access IOSU and cafe2wii for further analysis.

ossay78 likes this.
  3. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    maybe we can even take out the processor limiter so vwii runs with full processing power?

4. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2015
    United States
    This is the number one thing I want. If we could get gamepad functionality, we would instantly have a plethora of homebrew on the wii u that is playable on the gamepad, with the gamepad. In vWii mode which is fine until native stuff starts coming out. Though that looks like it may happen first.

ManuelKoegler likes this.
  5. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Not asking for myself (since I wouldn't know the first thing to do) but more of in general: is there any way that someone could contact @Hykem for the key to get a head start on development, since you said to your knowledge he has it?

6. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Not really lmao even I can't really get through to him other than try to send a Skype message and hope he sees it

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  7. Britishj

Britishj Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2015
    This would open up pretty much all wii homebrew for the gamepad which would be great as thats alot of emulators and media management, plus this would give us access to a huge backlog of wii and gamecube games that would now be semi portable.

8. solarsaturn9

solarsaturn9 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    United States
    This is the only thing I want out of the Wii U scene. I want to be able to play Gamecube and Wii games on the gamepad without using Wiimotes and Classic Controllers.

mech likes this.
  9. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Don't forget finally being able to watch HD movies off of USB :P

greenlanternx likes this.
  10. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    yeah im preety sure many devs would take a look at cafeetowii so we could disable the slower processor and enable the gamepad, with this 2 features alone vwii would be amazing imo.

11. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    We literally won't need Wii U homebrew at that point because they would effectively be the same thing, albeit slightly less convenient to launch

12. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    well wiiu homebrew would still be a thing for game modding and some other stuff that affects wiiu games but yeah if vwii gets full processing power we basicaly make every homebrew app run amazingly well and with already made and prooved libs xD.

13. unknownperson5

unknownperson5 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2012
    United States
    Would be amazing if possible. Hopefully it'll happen sometime down the line.

14. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    That would be epic....Imagine running full Linux distro's with 2GB (or was it 1/3GB) of RAM....and a nice 1.7GHZ IBM Dual core CPU, and the great AMD Radeon HD GPU! Maybe even full on Windows EMU. So many possibilities.

15. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    wiiu only is 1.24ghz not 1.7 if i recall.

16. videogame57

videogame57 Sword Princess

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Right behind you
    Also only in 480p not 1080p.

17. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    Oh sorry.....Anyways i found some Open-Source Lib's, even with the WiiU Virtual console framework, the WebKIT, and even Wii Street U (All the Source code)...I know Nintendo has to Release this software(s) source. The cool thing would be if i could edit it all, i saw a lot of ".h" and ".c", i read some README's and found out it uses C lang's (ex: C, C#, C++, etc), maybe i can use Notepad++ or even "C Compiler."

Link(Source): http://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/oss/index.html (Run in Chrome for the Translater or use google site translate)

Wii U Specs: https://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/tech-specs/

Last edited by Dr.Hacknik, Sep 30, 2015
    paulloeduardo likes this.
  18. wartimekillers

wartimekillers Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2016
    Indonesia
    i want this so bad

Jackall4BDN and andriy921 like this.