Wii Fully Bricked With Only Black Screen!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by harmeet, Mar 7, 2010.

1. harmeet
    OP

harmeet Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    My wii is fully bricked and only has a black screen (the firmware does NOT come up in the corner). when i turn it on i can put discs into the wii and eject them. but nothing else. im positive that i had starfall on it before it was bricked, and im pretty sure i had bootmii. not too sure about bootmii though. any type of solution would help. EXCEPT SENDING IT TO NINTENDO.

2. Skyline969

Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Nov 18, 2008
    Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Does anything come up if you hold RESET while powering on?

3. harmeet
    OP

harmeet Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    nope, i tried holding reset RIGHT after i press power. and ive tried holding it down then turning it on. nothing works.

4. Skyline969

Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Nov 18, 2008
    Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Sounds like Bootmii is out then... hm... and no discs load? I'm by no means an expert, but I believe you have a complete, irreparable brick.

5. harmeet
    OP

harmeet Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    isnt there a way to like update it with an official game that has a higher firmware than the wii?

6. harmeet
    OP

harmeet Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    and i just tried loading wii sports, and it sounds like its working fine in the wii but nothing comes up on the screen.

7. harmeet
    OP

harmeet Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    whats savemii and how much does it cost? and do i need anything installed in my wii before it was bricked for savemii to work?

8. techboy

techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    You need a working system menu, which your wii does not have. Savemii is useless here.

Take a look at DeadlyFoez's topic, that covers pretty much everything you'd ever want to know about fixing a bricked wii.

9. harmeet
    OP

harmeet Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    k thanks, but if i do call nintendo would they fix it for free if i tell them that the update bricked my wii?

10. damysteryman

damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Oct 4, 2007
    Well, you could give it a shot, but I'm not sure.

They'll most likely just replace the whole thing, meaning you'll lose ALL of your channels and saves and anything else you have installed, and you'll get a Wii that has a fixed boot1 meaning no bootmii boot2, and a D3-2 drive, which can't physically read backups.

If you do send it to Nintendo, I suggest you RIP OUT YOUR DVD DRIVE before sending it in, so that Nintendo won't replace it with an evil D3-2 drive. Of course this will void warranty, but it's worth it.

Do you have a NAND backup made by bootmii?
    If so:
    Maybe ask DeadlyFoez about his services, instead of sending it in to Nintendo.

11. harmeet
    OP

harmeet Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2010
    Canada
    How do i check if i have a NAND backup? And if i do rip out my dvd drive is there a tutorial on how to take it out and how to put it into another wii?

12. damysteryman

damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Oct 4, 2007
    To make a NAND backup, you make one yourself with bootmii, and it saves it to sd:/nand.bin.

If you don't know about it, I'm assuming you never made a backup. That's what bootmii is for, even if it's only installed as IOS!

Oh well...

And here's a guide for disassembling the Wii:
    http://www.techsick.com/articles-disassemble-the-wii.shtml
    And just do the reverse to reassemble.

You will need a tiny philips head screwdriver, and a tri-wing screwdriver. You can buy the tri-wing from modchip sites, and they're pretty cheap.

I suggest diong this, as buying a new DVD drive is much more expensive.

I'm not sure about what Nintendo's reaction will be when they don't see a DVD drive, but AFAIK they shouldn't whinge about it if you pay them the repair fee.

You'll most likely get a complete replacement Wii, and it will have a fixed boot1, meaning bootmii can onbly be installed as IOS when you get it.