Wii freezes when entering Wii Save Menu

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by john.jingle, Jun 18, 2011.

Jun 18, 2011
  1. john.jingle
    OP

Member john.jingle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The wii does not freeze when accessing any other part of the wii menu except for the saves... I've tried accessing it with and without the SD card inserted. I have never encountered this problem before and I don't think I've done any further hacking aside from trying to install RAWKSD from this page: http://rawksd.japaneatahand.com/wiki/Insta...ii_Installation
    My system firmware is 4.2 and I'm not sure which IOS I have installed. Hopefully I have provided enough info for you guys to help me out. Much thanks.

2. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    I know that when my Wii froze when entering the options menu, all I had to do to fix it was re-install the system menu (I used DOP-Mii)

Although I am not sure if that will fix your wii, and there is the small chance of a brick when doing that (if there is a power failure or something)

Again, I am not sure this will fix it, so be careful

3. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Have a look at your PRIILOADER and make sure that the system IOS is set too ios70 if its set to a cIOS it will cause the save menu and or options menus to freeze.
    Do you have a HDD connected thats Fat32 it might have a private folder with Bannerbomb on it(

4. nintendoom

Member nintendoom Nintendoom

Antarctica
    happened to me after I changed my wii theme.
    Juat reinstall the system menu and it would work again

5. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States

6. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Some guides and apps install another IOS patched for use with the sys menu, so you may think you have IOS70 and some tools will say you do, but you might not. (It might be IOS60 (iirc the ver) but patched)

This also causes a problem or ten.

7. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Yeah, most guides use IOS60 because it prevents bricks with region changed Korean Wii's on 4.2+ and new Wii's on 3.3-. I still don't see how that would affect it though, since it would be using the same IOS either way. I think it's a problem with Priiloader.

8. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    I was only mentioning it because I recently had to fix a PAL 4.2 wii that refused to do several things, one of which was load the saves page. Installing the proper IOS fixed the problem. If someone has a need for a patched IOS then ok, if not it's dumb to change what doesn't need changed.

You're quite right though, it may well be Priiloader, or...
    Too many saves (fill a nand with hundreds of 1 block saves and it takes a long, long time to load so some think it has froze).
    It could be a corrupt save aka missing banner bug, or other corrupt save issue.
    Faulty hardware (so remove everything, GC memcards, gc controllers, hdd, sd).
    Faulty theme is another common problem too. Maybe in the top three reasons...
    If you have been using some not released nand emu stuff you may have corrupted your sys files (don't think this is the case)
    Patching the sys menu... that can cause problems if done wrong.
    Install of sys menu or sys menu IOS has went wrong.

There are quite a few causes for a freeze here....

I would post what hacks in Priiloader you have, run sys check and see what IOS are on the Wii.
    A title list or uid might be needed later, but most likely not.

Once you've posted that, unplug everything from the Wii... well sd,usb, gc mem and gc controllers etc. Then switch the Wii off at the wall, leave it for at least 20 minutes (to cool the gpu). Then once it's cold boot it back up without plugging anything in, and go directly to the saves.

This will eliminate the easy hardware problems and I'm sure your logs will give more clues to what is wrong.

You will get sorted, I've yet to see anyone with a bug like this not find a solution.

btw OP I see no mention of you having a safe nand backup ?!?