Wii freezes completely at random

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by pigbenis69420, Sep 2, 2009.

Sep 2, 2009
  1. pigbenis69420
    OP

Newcomer pigbenis69420 Newbie

United States
    My Wii is a few years old, not launch but from around there. It has system menu 3.1u, I haven't used the the thing in years and recently installed bootmii and hbc through the twilight hack.

Blah Blah I tried installing the Rock Band 2 dlc crack and ended up with error messages. I gave up/stopped caring and just played RB2 like normal then the game freezes up and starts buzzing loudly. The disc ends up being scratched and loads very slowly, then freezes. I tried formatting an sd card to play customs with rawksd and it freezes before I can finish. The main menu on the wii freezes at random now.

I don't know if it has anything to do with something being installed improperly or what. I tried to restore with bootmii but it says it can't read nand.bin, and when I tried backing up again it froze in the middle of it. Now it says nand.bin is from another wii.

Someone suggested the freeze/buzzing is due to overheating but it happens right away after days of non-operation. Does anyone have any idea what this sounds like it could be? If it's software related, what could I do to find out/fix it? If it's hardware, am I screwed?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. Nikj14

Member Nikj14 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    did you use the hackmii installer 0.3? and you could just try running rockband from USB loaders.

3. pigbenis69420
    OP

United States
    I'm 99% sure it was hackmii 0.3. I managed to get a new disc but it still freezes randomly during the game.

4. Reboot

Member Reboot GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If your disks are getting scratched in the wii, your drive is bad. As for freezing in the system, could be related to the system trying to load the game/picture from the dvd drive, and since its broke.... you get the idea?

Does it freeze when no game is in the drive, just navigating the menu?

5. pigbenis69420
    OP

United States
    Yeah it freezes on the main menu if I let it run for a bit, it freezes when I look around in the settings menu, it freezes when running homebrew applications. Someone mentioned it might have overheated when it froze and scratched the disc that one time, but since then I haven't used it hardly at all and it still freezes completely at random.

The only thing I want to use my Wii for is custom rb songs, I already have rb on the 360 and buy dlc regularly there. I just want to know why my wii is freezing all the time for seemingly no reason.

6. ozguy

Member ozguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    See if you can borrow someone elses power supply and try that.
    If you have an SD card in the Wii, remove it, and any other peripherals you have plugged in (chargers, instruments, GC memory, etc).
    Also, if you have your Wii vertical, try sitting it horizontally instead.

7. Nikj14

Member Nikj14 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    your DVD drive is most likely the problem, BTW i lol'd @ ur username, nice choice lol

8. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Like nikj14 said, it's probably the DVD drive.

That random lockup is a good symptom of a defective (or missing) drive.

A little Off-topic, but for what it's worth, a wii will not operate without a DVD drive connected to the motherboard (they'll do exactly as described, random lockups, some with a loud buzzing from the TV speaker).

9. pigbenis69420
    OP

United States
    I would not have guessed it was the disc drive, that's fascinating. I guess my question now is how would I get it fixed? I'm sure it's out of warranty at this point but is it something I could fix myself? Would Nintendo have a cow if they found the HBC on it if I did send it in?

Anyway you guys have been a great help and I really appreciate it, I feel relieved haha. Thank you so much.

10. ozguy

Member ozguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Some of this site's sponsors sell them, or you could take a risk with one on ebay.

Posts merged

Some of this site's sponsors sell them, or you could take a risk with one on ebay.

11. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Big N will not care if you used brew on your wii. Just note though that they might give you an update to 4.1 at the same time.

You'll also need the tri-wing screwdriver to take the wii apart.

12. pigbenis69420
    OP

United States
    You know on 2nd thought I'm just going to steal my friend's wii while he's on vacation, this seems like a much easier solution. Thanks again for your time.