Hacking Wii flow + WD 1TB hdd, please help

Acester

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys. I have a 1 TB drive here, it is WD and I am trying to setup wii flow onto it, and I have been looking for tutorials and help but everything I am trying dosn't seem to work.

"Smartware" came preinstalled on this drive, I had to update the drives firmware, and then use some WD utility to disable it. Now when I plug it into my computer, it seems to no longer be there, so that's good.
It is formatted as NTFS.
I extracted the wiiflow 2.2 zip file into the root of the harddrive, so it looks like this:

/apps
/docs
/wiiflow

I also installed a forwarder channel wad to the system menu. I click it, it says "Loading..." for a long time, and then finally boots me back to the system menu.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you tried booting Wiiflow through the HBC?

if it boots fine there, then it's a forwarder issue....

personally, i launch all my apps from a SD card without problems....see my sig for my cIOS configuration
also, FAT32 is arguably the best FileSystem for the wii....

Acester

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
brausm08 said:
have you tried booting Wiiflow through the HBC?

if it boots fine there, then it's a forwarder issue....

personally, i launch all my apps from a SD card without problems....see my sig for my cIOS configuration
also, FAT32 is arguably the best FileSystem for the wii....

If you don't mind, could you please help me with how to boot wiiflow from the HBC?
I did put the apps folder onto the SD card, but it wouldn't show up in the HBC. :\ I do not see a boot.dol in there however..

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did a bit of research for you...because you're on an NTFS filesystem, you can't boot through HBC....(HBC doesn't support NTFS...yet another reason to be on FAT32).

i imagine you downloaded this file: 2.2-RC-1-(No-Dol).zip ...you are correct, there is no boot.dol...which is why it doesn't show up in HBC.....

download a different one...one that begins r304: for whatever cIOS you want it launching on (this one will contain your boot.dol)...this should solve your problem (and it should launch from either USB or SD)

Acester

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
brausm08 said:
did a bit of research for you...because you're on an NTFS filesystem, you can't boot through HBC....(HBC doesn't support NTFS...yet another reason to be on FAT32).

i imagine you downloaded this file....2.2-RC-1-(No-Dol).zip...you are correct, there is no boot.dol...

download a different one....2.1...this should solve your problem.

Yes you are correct, that is exactly what I downloaded! Thanks, I will give it a try.
smile.gif

Antics

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Format the drive to Fat32. Homebrew channel as well as most forwarders don't support NTFS.
As for the 30GB drive limit when formatting to Fat32 in Windows, google "fat32format.exe".
As for the 4GB file limit for your games, use WiiBackup Manager and tell it to split your game files (under Options) to 4GB increments.

Acester

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sweet, pretty sure I got it to work!

And Antics, those 2 reasons are exactly why I chose NTFS over FAT32, so thank you for letting me know for a solution!

The only question I have remaining is: what the heck is 2.2-RC-1-(No-Dol).zip anyway? It just dosn't have the .dol file? I feel stupid! lol

Anyway, thanks guys, ripping my smash bros brawl right now as a test, seems to be working.
smile.gif

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think 2.2-RC-1-(No-Dol).zip is just a theme pack.....to be used in conjuction with whichever 2.2RC1 version you choose....

Antics advice was very timely then for you....FAT32 is the best solution and any limitations have been addressed via WiiBackup Manager. personally i use FAT32_GUI_Formatter.exe. but either one, the result will be the same....

Acester

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
brausm08 said:
i think 2.2-RC-1-(No-Dol).zip is just a theme pack.....to be used in conjuction with whichever 2.2RC1 version you choose....

Antics advice was very timely then for you....FAT32 is the best solution and any limitations have been addressed via WiiBackup Manager. personally i use FAT32_GUI_Formatter.exe. but either one, the result will be the same....

I downloaded FAT32_GUI_Formatter.exe, about to format it as FAT32... what should I set the Allocation Unit Size to? 65536? 32768? Smaller?

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
Acester said:
brausm08 said:

I downloaded FAT32_GUI_Formatter.exe, about to format it as FAT32... what should I set the Allocation Unit Size to? 65536? 32768? Smaller?
32KB that is 32768 bytes

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.