Wii - Fastest Selling Console In British History

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Hadrian, Aug 30, 2007.

Aug 30, 2007
  1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    From IGN:
    "Nintendo's determination to make a product that appeals to the mass market seems to have paid off, with the Wii becoming the fastest-selling console in British history - reaching one million sales in just 38 weeks.

Latest Chart Track figures show that the Wii has reached the milestone 11 weeks faster than the PlayStation 2 - which took 50 weeks - and 22 weeks faster than the Xbox 360 - which took... oh look, just do the maths. Surely, you've all been playing Brain Training anyway?

David Yarnton, general manager of Nintendo UK said: "The non-stop demand for Wii even in the traditionally slow sales periods for video games in the UK is clearly behind this record breaking achievement. The performance of [Wii and DS] appears to indicate that unprecedented interactive entertainment experiences, provided by a combination of the revolutionary nature of DS and Wii with the increasing number of unique software titles for the system from Nintendo and third parties, are being enjoyed by both avid and new gamers of all ages."

Furthermore, sales of Nintendo's innovative console don't seem to be slowing either and, during recent weeks, Wii managed to secure a 68% share of home console sales, while the DS reached an 86% share. Insert your own amusing comment about printing money here."

Not bad seeing Britain was basically dominated by PlayStation consoles since 1997. Perhaps Nintendo would treat us a little better from now on...perhaps not.

2. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Imagine how much faster it could have sold if there were MORE FUCKING GAMES?

Trauma Centre only came out over here recently. Almost a year late. No Paper Mario or Metroid yet... And a ton of crap 3rd party games sitting on shelves.

I remember before the Wii was released that someone at Nintendo, possibly Reggie, in an interview with a European gaming magazine/website stated that delays to European games would be a thing of the past .... Not quite living up to their word!

They need to take a leaf out of Microsoft's book. They manage to get their games out in most regions in a very short time frame.

3. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Doubt they'll treat you any better [​IMG]

It's great nintendo have got the mainstream audience buying up their stuff I just hope we don't get dumbed down games as a result. MPC3 gives me hope.

4. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    The usual excuse is that games like Super Paper Mario have a lot of text in them and that that needs to be converted into many different languages, Microsoft so far have never had that problem.

We do get the odd title here first but they're not really triple A titles are they?

5. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    It would be selling as fast as it is now.

Demand has far exceeded supply. Here in the States, it's rare to see them in a big-box store.

6. Hadirajan

Newcomer Hadirajan Member

Sweden
    That's a shitty excuse since all of the games are in English(as they should be) here in Sweden..

7. Kasoz

Newcomer Kasoz Advanced Member

Netherlands
    It's not the english speaking countries which are causing the delay. It's the &**%&^%*&(&*( german, french and italian ^&^&*%^* who are used to get their games in their own language.

bastards

8. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    It's no excuse this day and age to say "we have to translate the game". This can be done DURING the production of the title alongside the English script. It's 2007 for crying out loud. These aren't games made by a couple of guys up in their mum's converted attic. (Albeit a few...)

Anyway, back on topic!

9. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    The reason is more likely "Well, when the supply catches up with the demand, or when sales start lagging, inject one AAA nintendo title, and if it doesn't work, inject another AAA title. In the meantime, let the dumb euros play shovelware games"

It's pretty sad. I've played nearly every palatable (read : scored above 40%) game on wii,, BOUGHT, even and I HUNGER. I sure am NOT going to have second thoughts on modding it once it's perfectly safe to do so.

10. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Yep, they should do that indeed. Even more important: they should make more good games!