Director of Moon based operations
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Quoted from TheSkeen.com

"Yes, that's right - an exploit for the Nintendo Wii has been discovered and it allows you to run custom code. The method is pretty simple. Copy over a save file for Zelda, load it and the code runs. Don't get too excited yet. They have only been able to run 4 lines of code, but this is in a days work.

Segher was the one to find the exploit and Bushing has been testing it out with the aid of the USB Gecko. The process is far from simple as once you modify a save game it requires it be to signed with 3 keys. Here's some info from Bushing.

"Once the Wii decrypts the save game, it checks its signature. Every Wii has its own private key which is used to sign save games, and when you save a game, the Wii actually saves three bits of data:

* The encrypted save game
* The signature for the save game (using your console's private key)
* A copy of your console's public key, signed by Nintendo."

Of course, the end user wouldn't have to go through this process unless they were wanting to inject their own code into the save game, but that shouldn't be necessary because when I asked Bushing what his goal was he answered:

"Assuming we don't run into a wall, it should be able to lead to a homebrew loader. I hope. No promises. "

Attachments

• zeldacrash0.jpg
    zeldacrash0.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,112

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh yeah!
biggrin.gif
Hopefully it doesn't get patched before something good can be done. I'd love to see something tangible to play with, it's so frustrating just waiting.
tongue.gif

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
If only the coders ever actually went into details about their findings, then I could have a play around - it wouldn't result in anything, but at least I could gain a better understanding of how these things work
frown.gif

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
hmh it's weird how long it takes to make homebrew for wii, even though it's "hacked" already. This is exploit a good add, but it really seems that no one is interested in wii.
biggrin.gif

D

Deleted User

If only the coders ever actually went into details about their findings, then I could have a play around - it wouldn't result in anything, but at least I could gain a better understanding of how these things work
frown.gif
looking at the first post, the only possible way they could inject some code would have been by extracting the private key of their console, and use it to sign code. Once you have a proper save that can act as a loader, you can give it to other people like one can share a save file. The dev giving info would either require you to have dumped you wii private key, which will not be that useful considering how hard it could be to dump it, or have them give theirs, which will expose them quite directly by the fact that the private key is directly linked to a console serial number. The way the exploit work should be fairly simple, something like a uber long char name where the game store it in a finite sized buffer.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
hmh it's weird how long it takes to make homebrew for wii, even though it's "hacked" already. This is exploit a good add, but it really seems that no one is interested in wii.
biggrin.gif
Hardly, the original hack was fairly easy to patch for the big N (afaik) thus they didn't want to release anything specific as that would plug the hole for them to search for more exploits. Patching the save (though possible, it is signed with a specific key from the console that made the save) is slightly less important as once HB runs everyone could make a similar save (could be run through your own Wii to get it encrypted and signed) so then every Wii would have to be covered/blocked. Everyone COULD make their own save once HB runs and thus this is harder to block.

Don't quote me on this btw
tongue.gif
. Only written with my limited knowlidge of encryption, signing and etc. (so I could be really wrong ;p).

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
biggrin.gif
of course many are interested in it and they are working hard on it, but most of the hb developers don´t make their proceedings public until they are working stable, like bushing and segher now do.
2222046163_e76513996e_o_d.jpg

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
QUOTE([Truth said:
@ Jan 27 2008, 12:30 PM)]
biggrin.gif

of course many are interested in it and they are working hard on it, but most of the hb developers don´t make their proceedings public until they are working stable, like bushing and segher now do.
2222046163_e76513996e_o_d.jpg

FAIL!

That's the GC version!
rofl2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1